THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Colorado Parks and Wildlife protect their own...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Parks and Wildlife protect their own...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted
Please help get the word out and don't hesitate to send emails. This is disgusting

http://www.thedenverchannel.co...ing-out-of-the-media

DENVER - A Colorado Parks and Wildlife officer was caught poaching a trophy deer in October, but the state agency tried to keep the poaching incident from becoming public, a six-week CALL7 Investigation found.

Travis McKay, then a state park ranger and certified police officer in a Trinidad State Lake Park, was in the Bosque del Oso State Wildlife Area Oct. 13, 2012, with a friend when he shot a deer after dark, using a spotlight, records show. Colorado Parks and Wildlife District Wildlife Manager Bob Holder, along with a federal officer, came along and found the deer in McKay's truck, the citation report shows.

McKay was cited with hunting after hours with a light, illegal taking and possession of a trophy deer and failure to tag the game. He eventually paid more than $11,000 in fines.

Reports obtained exclusively by the CALL7 Investigators show Holder promised repeatedly to keep the incident out of the media and hidden from the public.

"I advised Travis McKay that because of his position as a Park Ranger I would give him the professional courtesy of contacting my supervisor prior to the citation issuance," Holder wrote in his report.

The federal agent said "there would be no one in the community advised of the situation so as not to embarrass any parties involved and that if it did come out it would be McKay or (his friend) that chose to reveal that information," the report said.

Holder "also advised Travis McKay and (his friend) that I had not called in a license clearance on the vehicles or the driver's license clearance on either party to the Colorado State Patrol dispatch to avoid disclosure through scanners, etc. Both McKay and (his friend) thanked me for the consideration," Holder wrote in his report.

Holder also met after hours with McKay and his friend to keep the case quiet. The report says Holder knew McKay as a park ranger and he had known McKay's friend since the friend was a child.

"I contacted both men by cell and had them meet me at separate times and after business hours at the Corps of Engineers office to avoid public inquiry," Holder wrote.

McKay had a choice whether to go to court or pay the fine directly. The officer advised him if he went to court, the information would be made public.

"I explained that if the court option were selected that it would become public record at that time and we could not control media involvement as it would be posted on the docket displayed in the courthouse," he wrote.

Rick Cables, director of Colorado Parks and Wildlife, said his officer was trying explain the process and not cover up the poaching.

"He's telling him pay, and you won't be in the media," CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia said. "If you don't pay it and go to court, it will be public record."

"I do not interpret that statement to be saying that," Cables said.

"I think anybody sitting in their living room would disagree with you," Ferrugia said.

"Well again, I think that when I read that statement the officer was providing information to this young man about what are the consequences between either going to court or paying the fine," Cables said.

McKay lost this ranger job, he can no longer be a certified police officer for the state agency, his hunting privileges were taken away for three years and he was transferred to another job in parks and wildlife as a technician. His pay is slightly lower. Cables says this is appropriate punishment.

During the investigation, McKay also lied to the federal agent and was advised that it was a felony to lie, the report shows. After that, McKay lied at least several times until his friend told officers the truth, records show. But he was never charged with the federal felony.

"Even after he was told that it was a federal offense," Ferrugia said, "Its fairly serious for a police officer to lie to a federal officer?"

"It certainly is," Cables said.

The federal agent never charged McKay with lying because, as a department spokesman explained, the federal agent did not have jurisdiction as the poaching was in a state park and in the end there was no federal crime.

McKay's boss would not allow Ferrugia to speak with him where he now works at a state park, so Ferrugia approached McKay after work.

McKay did not return calls for comment, but Ferrugia found McKay outside his home.

"Do you think you were given, basically, professional consideration to kind of protect your privacy on this?" Ferrugia asked.

"I don't, I don't have any comment on that," McKay said. "I mean what was done was done between me and the agency. And I don't have any further comment on anything."

McKay also refused to comment on how he retained a state job.

"I don't know much of anything that's going on. I mean, I know what happened between me and the agency," McKay said.

Cables maintained Holder and his department acted appropriately despite the "professional courtesy" extended to the park ranger.

"Are you going to do that for me?" Ferrugia asked.

"Well I don't, again, I don't think the point was avoiding public disclosure," Cables said.

The way McKay's poaching was handled is in contrast to the poaching incident in Boulder in earlier this year when two Boulder police officers resigned and were charged with felonies and misdemeanors. Those officers were charged with attempting to influence a public servant and tampering with evidence for allegedly trying to cover up the shooting of the elk, records show.

Cables said McKay's situation was different because it was not premeditated poaching and he was not charged with a felony.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unreal, and a Samson law case too.

They would have tarred feathered and publicly destroyed anyone else. As it should be. McKay still has his job as a park ranger, a protector of natural resources! UNBELIEVABLE. I guess the next time I get checked in the field all I need to do is mention that McKay is my homeboy? It's only fair right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! This is over the top. I guess we should write the Colorado Game Dept. and tell them we must assume poaching is ok. If their own people can do it so can we.

Copy and paste this to every outdoor site.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this Drummond, this needs to be in everyones face.
If you or I did this trust me the consequences would be far worse than this guy.
What happened to confiscating truck, gun etc.??

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
This is disgusting, what the hell is going on with this place?

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Thanks for posting this Drummond, this needs to be in everyones face.
If you or I did this trust me the consequences would be far worse than this guy.
What happened to confiscating truck, gun etc.??

Snellstrom is right on the money!
It's "chronyism" in the police state.

(Thinking to myself; "I wonder what he shot it with? An AR and maybe a 20 or 30 rd. clip?")

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
They Stink !!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The outcome as we all know it sort of sucks, but I'd rather that he be demoted and have to work for himself and his family than be fired and go on welfare and other such programs that we all have to fund with our hard earned tax money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
The outcome as we all know it sort of sucks, but I'd rather that he be demoted and have to work for himself and his family than be fired and go on welfare and other such programs that we all have to fund with our hard earned tax money.

Screw him, he needs to be fired yesterday! He POACHED a deer with a spotlight, lied to a federal officer repeatedly and not only does he keep a job with Colorado Parks and Wildlife but they try to keep it quiet as not to embarrass him.

This is BULLSHIT! I have seen the disgusting tactics of DOW officers that have tried to convict an innocent man yet they keep an admitted poacher on the payroll.

Makes me want to puke! They have done themselves no favor with the general public here in CO. This reminds me of the IRS scandal and the Benghazi scandal in that nobody wants to admit they screwed up. Its a political circle jerk. Colorado is going to hell and its going to hell fast

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you aren't outraged by this then you need to reread the damn story

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a person who is entrusted by the public to uphold the game laws and basically protect our wildlife from people who commit crimes like he did.
He is a criminal and violated that trust and because of his position or type of job should be fired.
If a teller at your bank stole money out of your account and others would you be happy if they paid the fine and were demoted?
Think about it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, if the teller got demoted to a janitor type position similar to what happened to this guy I would have no problem! It's a game law violation and not murdering a human being. Many much more serious crimes receive a lot less than this guy got, so I think you also have to look at it that way. It definitely shouldn't have happened, but the guy probably had a good record that was taken into account when he was demoted, rather than fired. Please realize that I'm not justifying the crime, but the way our judicial system works nowadays I think it's a little surprising he got as much as he did when you see others that have multiple violations and only recieve minimal fines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, if the teller got demoted to a janitor type position similar to what happened to this guy I would have no problem! It's a game law violation and not murdering a human being. Many much more serious crimes receive a lot less than this guy got, so I think you also have to look at it that way. It definitely shouldn't have happened, but the guy probably had a good record that was taken into account when he was demoted, rather than fired. Please realize that I'm not justifying the crime, but the way our judicial system works nowadays I think it's a little surprising he got as much as he did when you see others that have multiple violations and only recieve minimal fines.

You should submit a resume to Colorado Parks and Wildlife, you'd fit right in.

IMO your rationale is so flawed its not even funny.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's "chronyism" in the police state.

That ex[plains the whole situation in a nut shell. Anyone that does not comprehend what is wrong with this whole incident, really needs to re-evaluate why they hunt. Being an LEO does not excuse anyone. In fact this person should be held to a higher standard.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying he shouldn't be held to a higher standard and I surely don't need to re-evaluate why I hunt to have the opinion I do regarding this incident, LOL! The guy lost his friggin law enforcement job because of the violation! Why fire the guy and let him go on the public dole where he can sit back and do nothing while burning our tax money up the rest of his life? He basicly got demoted to a peon job from the high standing one he had!!! If someone else was found guilty of this violation they wouldn't lose their job over it in most instances. It sounds like some of you think he should have got the death penalty over the incident. I guess I figure that we all are allowed one mistake in our lifetime and from the sounds of some posts you guys haven't made yours yet!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, a person in the position this guy was in, IS NOT ALLOWED A MISTAKE, PERIOD.

Do you honestly believe that if this guy caught you screwing up he would give you a break?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What fucking break or mistake was he allowed to get away with? Nada, zilch, zippo!!! He was fined $11K, lost his hunting rights in numerous states for 3 years, and also lost his job and was demoted to a peon job. Other than not being completely fired by the state, he got just as much, and probably more, than anyone else would have received for the same violation. Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one if you think he should be fired and go on welfare over this!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I think the kicker of this deal is what brought on the $11,300 in fines. $10,000 of it was simply because the deer was over 22" wide. Had it been 21.75" wide, then $10,000 would have been taken off the fines. This is because the 22" mark is where a deer is considered a trophy resulting in the additional $10K. You take that away and the fines would have only been $1,300.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing that some would call this a "mistake". What this LEO made was a damn DECISION. He went out after dark with a spotlight to kill a deer illegally. He made a conscience decision to do this.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have the opportunity to learn from it and get past it but he should not still hold a job with the state. That is a freaking joke! He stole a resource he was hired to protect and he kept a job? WTF? How anybody can say that this was the right decision is beyond me.

This guy pays $11k and he skates. If it hadn't been for people within the Parks and Wildlife Department that got pissed we would have never even heard about this incident.

I bet that McKay couldn't get his checkbook out fast enough when they told him he could keep his job, his pension, his union protection etc...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What fucking break or mistake was he allowed to get away with? Nada, zilch, zippo!!! He was fined $11K, lost his hunting rights in numerous states for 3 years, and also lost his job and was demoted to a peon job. Other than not being completely fired by the state, he got just as much, and probably more, than anyone else would have received for the same violation. Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one if you think he should be fired and go on welfare over this!

Had a Non-Resident hunter pulled that same stunt the fine would have been a lot heavier and the loss of hunting privledges would have been longer than 3 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're spouting more BS now CHC, as you have no damn idea what someone else would have received in a similar case! The whole thing stinks because of the coverup, but that part of it is due to the DOW and not the guy himself. They actually could have covered the whole thing up and not even cited the guy if they're as bad as some make them out to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're spouting more BS now CHC, as you have no damn idea what someone else would have received in a similar case! The whole thing stinks because of the coverup, but that part of it is due to the DOW and not the guy himself. They actually could have covered the whole thing up and not even cited the guy if they're as bad as some make them out to be.

The division has given suspensions to others that are longer that 3 years. I know of one guy that got a 20 year revocation and I know there have been lifetime bans as well. The people associated with the cover up should be fired as well. Our illustrious leaders in the White House are finding out the the cover up is as bad as the crime

Travis McKay should not have kept his job. To argue that he should have kept it is ludicrous

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun, as usual, you are more interested in fighting with me than giving any real thought about the fact that someone like this guy, needs to be made an example of. You don't see that or at least claim not to see that.

This guy should have been treated the same as ANY OTHER violator at minimum. Being a state employee, breaking laws he is supposed to be enforcing should have been punished a lot more harshly.

I am thru discussing this with you Topgun, you continue to prove that, A, you have a personal problem with anything I say, and B, you are incapable of grasping the concept that those in a position to enforce the laws, have to be punished more harshly than the average person.

You have a good night and good life and do not ever pm me again.

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
You guys seem to be focusing your anger on the low life miscreant who didn't have the sense to avoid getting busted jack lighting deer! I contend that the vector of your angst be directed at the commissioner, and governor Hickenlooper (who my state senator said rejected his effort to fire him, twice). He administers a 6 billion dollar budget and doesn't have the common sense to send a maintenance worker packing for commiting several crimes. Instead of giving him the heave-ho he assigns him to a park in my backyard.
On the other hand,those of you who think he has been put in his place by governor Hick, that lowly position of his comes with all the trappings of a state job! His salary and benefits are a gold plated home run. It seems the con men running the state of Colorado like to surround themselves with like minded people. Poachers, gun grabbers, sex predators please apply.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
How many Fish and Game Departments publicize who they issue citations to?

Also, consider an alternative scenario.

Cop pulls over a car. Driver of the car is drunk. Driver is a State Trooper. Cop says hang on a minute let me call my Sergeant. Sergeant says you got no choice, you have to arrest him. Cop says "OK Boss". Cop arrests State Trooper and says "I am going to keep this as low key as possible". State Trooper loses job pays the fines etc.

I am not saying the above is exactly the same but its close.

I am also not saying that what was done was right...but I just don't feel all the outrage that others do over this.

I also seem to sense a sort of double standard.

I suspect a lot of us:

- speed on a regular basis?
- have done small home projects that technically required a permit but we didn't get one?
- have stretched legal shooting time?
- fudged our taxes?
- drink milk out of the carton in the fridge (just making sure you are paying attention)

But many people seem to want to scream POACHER!!! when it comes to any game violation. By the way I am not suggesting the OP was a minor offense, I am suggesting that it seems many people get extremely upset at game violations but may be looking the way on other things?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vemo:
You guys seem to be focusing your anger on the low life miscreant who didn't have the sense to avoid getting busted jack lighting deer! I contend that the vector of your angst be directed at the commissioner, and governor Hickenlooper (who my state senator said rejected his effort to fire him, twice). He administers a 6 billion dollar budget and doesn't have the common sense to send a maintenance worker packing for commiting several crimes. Instead of giving him the heave-ho he assigns him to a park in my backyard.
On the other hand,those of you who think he has been put in his place by governor Hick, that lowly position of his comes with all the trappings of a state job! His salary and benefits are a gold plated home run. It seems the con men running the state of Colorado like to surround themselves with like minded people. Poachers, gun grabbers, sex predators please apply.

Hickenlooper is at the top of my shit list. Just today he saved the life of mass murderer Nathan Dunlap. Dunlap killed 4 people in a Chuck E Cheese execution style and our piece of shit governer just couldn't stand to let the execution go on so he files an executive order to stop it

http://www.denverpost.com/brea...prieve-from-governor

Yeah, they all suck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

I also seem to sense a sort of double standard.

I suspect a lot of us:

- speed on a regular basis?
- have done small home projects that technically required a permit but we didn't get one?
- have stretched legal shooting time?
- fudged our taxes?
- drink milk out of the carton in the fridge (just making sure you are paying attention)

But many people seem to want to scream POACHER!!! when it comes to any game violation. By the way I am not suggesting the OP was a minor offense, I am suggesting that it seems many people get extremely upset at game violations but may be looking the way on other things?

What would you call a person that shoots a deer at night with a spotlight? We're screaming poacher because he poached a deer and got caught red handed. It's not like he left a questionable amount of neck meat on the carcass Mike. He knew shooting that deer with a spotlight was illegal and he made a decision to do it anyway.

As for publicizing citations, Colorado parks and wildlife does it all the time. Go to the Law Enforcement section of their website and scroll through their annual reports

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Mike, one of the reasons I'm pissed is because I have seen these game wardens in CO do some horrible shit to innocent men.

I personally sat through a trial where game wardens admitted to calling a real estate agent and posed as potential buyers to get into his house to go through his stuff without having to obtain a search warrant. I heard game wardens lie under oath and I watched a jury of his peers acquit him in less than an hour on multiple BS charges, some of which were felonies.

FYI, had he been convicted of these felonies he would have lost his career. He would have lost everything. He wouldn't have been eligible for pension that he was 4 years away from being eligible for and in that particular case there was no evidence presented that said he committed a crime. Nothing, nada, zilch yet they catch that POS park ranger red handed POACHING a deer with a spotlight and he somehow retains a job? My friend spent $30,000 defending himself on those bullshit charges and would have lost everything if he had been convicted yet Travis McKay poaches a buck, pays a 1/3 of what my friend spend and keeps his job and his pension. Thats bullshit. He got off EASY compared to my buddy and my buddy didn't do anything wrong

Your not pissed and outraged because you haven't seen what I've seen Mike. This is complete bullshit

I think you are sensing the wrong "double standard" Mike. The way an employee of Colorado Parks and Wildlife gets treated and how the general public gets treated definitely constitutes "double standard"

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Drummond,

The portion of my post that is annoying you is not referring to your original post (OP).

"But many people seem to want to scream POACHER!!! when it comes to any game violation. By the way I am not suggesting the OP was a minor offense, I am suggesting that it seems many people get extremely upset at game violations but may be looking the way on other things?"

The parts that are bolded are trying to indicate that I am not referring to this incident as being a minor incident and my reference to double standard was not referencing the treatment of the state employee it is referencing that I perceive many people will look the other way on certain crimes but not on others.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I guess there is somewhat of a double standard on this subject. Probably each and every one of us do stuff on a daily basis that is slightly over the line as far as legalities go. Be it speeding, a rolling stop ad infinitum. Occasionally we get caught and get punished for it.

What this guy did was not an action that compares to driving 5mph. over the posted speed limit. It was a premeditated act of poaching. His job was to find people doing such activities and stop them and see that they answer for those actions. Talk about a double standard!

If this incident had involved a private citizen doing the same thing, his boss would not try to manipulate the LEO's involved into taking it easy on the guy. No he would be completely at the mercy of the court, end of story.

This guy was in the wrong, got caught red-handed and needs to answer for his actions plain and simple, and yes I believe he deserves harsher punishment because he was in a position of authority and knew full well what he was doing was completely against the laws he was hired to enforce.

An under lying aspect of the story and this is just a hypothesis on my part is that the man got caught this time. How many other times in the past he did the same thing and did not get caught.

One thing about AR that never ceases to amaze me is the differing of opinions toward poaching/poachers. They run the gamut from, "Hell It Was Just A Deer" or "Well Boys Will Be Boys, Make Him Stand With His Nose In The Corner And He Won't Act That Way Again", all the way up to almost wanting the perpetrator being given a lethal injection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Members of law enforcemnet, teachers, professors, preachers, ministers, preist, athletes and yes even politicians are "suppose" to set a good example and be held to a higher standard.

But we all know how that is going down these days.......don't we?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC---That retort of yours was way out of line as you know darn well that I told you I'd be on your side when I agree with your perspective on a subject and I'd say so when I didn't. You're no different in that respect than any other person on any forum I post on. No two people are going to agree on everything 100% of the time, whether it's you and me, me and Drummond, etc., and that's what makes the world go around. I disagree that this guy should lose retirement benefits over the incident even though it was an egregious violation because I don't have all the facts on a first hand basis. Several of you guys feel he should be given a much stronger sentence and that is your right that I have no problem with. Punishing the guy more than another that did the same offense to me is a double standard even though he should be held to a high standard in that job. He lost the LE job and that's not enough for some of you. Now you're even postulating that he's probably a repeat offender doing bad stuff all the time with absolutely no basis for that comment either. That's as bad as me postulating that you violate game laws all the time in order to make sure your clients make a kill and give you a good tip, as well as repeat business. Neither of us have any basis for doing that! Do you think you should be fired from your job if you were found violating a law and paid all the penalties similar to what someone else would that has another type job not relating to what you do for a living? If you don't, then I feel you have a double standard in that regard. Please remember that I was in LE for 30+ years and probably should have the same perspective as you and Drummond, but I just don't in this particular situation from what I read. Maybe I have a different perspective than others that is wrong, but I won't apologize for being human with different feelings than others on certain things. That doesn't mean we all shouldn't get along and discuss each case as it comes up! I'll repeat that I agree with all of you that the whole thing sucked as far as the coverup, etc., but I just happen to disagree that the guy should be tossed out in the streets over it.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please remember that I was in LE for 30+ years and maybe I have a different perspective than others.

Well, maybe that explains it.
You are feeling empathy for a comrade, chronyism once again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not feeling empathy for anything other than the friggin trophy buck that got poached! I'm just looking at the fact that everyone is a human being with faults and failings, regardless of what career they choose to be in. Any of you that don't feel that way and think you're a saint may need to do a little soul searching! I will end my thoughts regarding this matter by saying that with Drummond living in CO and obviously having a closer look at the goings on that he mentioned about a friend getting the shaft by FWP, that I would probably also feel as he does if I were privy to more information that he may have than I do back here in MI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TG, my friend legally killed and tagged his animal and they still came after him and came after him hard. They did this because he is well known in the hunting industry and they would have publicized that "bust" everywhere they could have.

They then catch one of their own with an untagged poached buck in the back of the truck and they try to keep it quiet so they wouldn't embarrass him and they relocate him to another job so he can keep a pension and a paycheck. They didn't punish this guy, they helped the guy out. Whatever happened to being held accountable for your actions? Reminds me of how people treat children these days. They coddled that guy.

There should be a zero tolerance policy in effect for actions like this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya guys, here in CO - we know all about this case. Its pathetic beyond belief - period!

Facts - not disputed!

1. Game & Fish official poached deer, with spotlight. A choice, not a mistake!

2. The poached animal qualified for the "Sampson" law in CO - making it a felony charge. This "official" was NOT even CHARGED with said crime. Regardless of the outcome, a felony violation was committed - but not charged???????? COMMUNISM!!!!

3. LEO tried to cover it up - read the reports, very clear.

4. Officials all the way to the top (Cables) trying to, and going along with cover up.

5. CO Parks & Wildlife make a point of splattering all over their website - anytime they catch/convict a poacher. Common practice in CO, except if you are "one of them".

6. Violator was paid to, and entrusted with the responsibility of protecting/managing Colorado's wildlife - he F**ked up! Do I honestly believe he deserves crucification - no! Does he deserve the "privilege" of continuing to "serve the community" on the state's dime - are you freaking kidding me????

I thought LEO/PUBLIC OFFICIALS were to be held to the same standards as the rest of us?? He wasn't even "charged" with the crime he admitted, to committing?????? We're not talking about a conviction of a felony, but to not be charged with one, when he clearly committed one - really??

Anyone who would support any of the decisions made in this case by "officials", are simply supporting cummunist/socialist - govt control. The same support that has our country in the "spot" we are in now.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He should have got the felony AND lost his state job period!

Law enforcement "chronieism" is the worst. If we are not a nation of laws what are we? If ( and I don't believe we can ) can't trust the law enforcement who can we trust?

Law enforcement officers must be held to a higher standard. They where not drafted! They volunteered!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obie and his thugs use "cover up and lies" as a rule rather than the exception. If it's OK at the top, why not by the "lower" authorities? Eeker It seems to be how things work these days.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was charged with Samson Law but is not a felon?

Here is a letter I have had forwarded to me from a friend that received this from Randy Hampton...

Travis McKay WAS charged with the Samson violation. I've attached the full copy of the citation that was issued and the case report. You'll note while reviewing the case report that the investigating officer had nothing more than a 'failure to tag' violation on initial contact... but did great work to convince Mr. McKay and his companion to fully confess to what really happened. The investigating officer then wrote a ticket charging every possible violation. Fortunately, a 39-year veteran wildlife officer with impeccable skills and a veteran US Fish and Wildlife Service officer were on patrol that night. They did a great job and busted an employee who made a serious error in judgement. It would have been easy to send the guy on his way with a warning about the failure to tag... and a lot of less experienced officers would have. We weren't perfect in this incident. Undoubtedly, we should have issued a press release. But we didn't. We have determined how the case failed to cause a press release to be issued and we are taking steps to correct that error. It's really messy because it also involves state personnel rules. Anyways, the case report is attached. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again, Randy

I will get a copy of the citation up

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read the entire citation and report and Bob Holder handled this as I would have expected him to other than trying to help keep it quiet.

In the report he mentions that Travis McKay's father in law asked him(Holder) about employment status and Holder replied that he did not know and it wasn't his decision

I am still not thrilled that Bob tried to keep it quiet but he did his job. The decision to keep this guy on the payroll came from over Bobs head.

Director Cables should answer for this