New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 & Nosler
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
Are all the nosler partition as destructive on game as the 130gr partition in 270? If not is it the vel of the 270 with a partition that destory the meat and not the cause of the bullet itself? I'm wondering because I have some nolsers in 9.3x62 waiting to be reloaded.

<jayloar>
posted
Paleohunter,
I'm the one who started the thread about his wifes 270 and excessive trauma. It was a 150gr Nosler Partition that she is using not the 130gr Nosler Partition. I couldn't tell you about the 130gr. I will point out that the 150gr Nosler Partition does finish the job. We've never had one stay inside the animal, they go all the way through and the animals never travel over 50 yards after being properly hit. From what I'm hearing, if you want to avoid substantial trauma either go with a bonded core or copper bullet. Also if you shoot just a little bit further back from the shoulder, less of the trauma will get into the shoulder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The entire purpose of shooting an animal with a high-power rifle is to inflict trauma to kill it quickly, dependably, and humanely. In this respect, the Nosler Partition performs as nearly perfectly as any mechanical contrivance can.

If you're worried about losing five pounds of marginally edible shoulder gristle, then use a snare.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I have used them in the 338 diameter 250 grain version from a 340 weatherby at 2950 fps. the bullets passeed clean through a nyala, blesbok and a duiker lengthwise. not secondary fragments, kinda like shooting a solid

<Paleohunter>
posted
Jayloar Do you think that you may have got hold of a bad batch of bullets or do you think its just the .277 cal with the Noslers?

<jayloar>
posted
Paleohunter,
I don't think it was a bad batch of 150gr Nosler Part. I think they are designed to perform that way. The front section expands very rapidly and then the back section stays together and drives through. I still can't figure out why the exit side is so traumatized however. Maybe the 130gr would create less trauma cause there is less soft frontal section to violently expand. I really don't know.

I'd say if your gun is shooting them well give them a try. They certainly will not fail to put the animal down quickly if you put the bullet in the right place.

I have not seen this excessive trauma problem with deer or elk that I've shot with 160 gr Partitions from my 280 Improved or 7 Rem Mag.

One deer I shot at about 20 yards with the 160gr Partition from the 280 Improved was in fine condition after being shot about 4" behind the shoulder. He didn't even know what happened. He actually started grazing again and then laid down and died. All in about 5 seconds.

I usually try to shoot my animals about 4" back of the shoulder while my wife always puts it directly behind the shoulder. Maybe I've got to convince her to start moving her shots back a little bit.

<Paleohunter>
posted
thanks for your input Jayloar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with those 150 gr Partitons either.

The Partition is doing just what it was designed to do.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paleohunter,
You could slow them down a bit or go to the 160..Also the newer Noslers with the partition moved forward will help....

I used the GS HP bullets this year and they sure don't bruise a lot of meat, and still knock big holes through and through...I was certainly pleased with them..

Your problem will not carry over to the 9.3, the problem is caused by velocity not the bullet make...keep them in the ribs behind the shoulder.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I just worked up some loads for my .270 with the 130 Nosler Part.

60.0 grains(MAX) of IMR7828
Winchester Brass
CCI 200 primers

three shot groups @ 0.75" at 100 yards.

Should have some on game performance in a few weeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I greatly favour the 150 grain Nosler Partition bullet in .270. I shoot handload 150 gr Nosler Partitions at 2800 fps mv. My primary purpose was that I started out hunting in mountain grizzly country in British Columbia, and wanted something heavier than the 130 grain for defence.

Then I started black bear and griz hunting. I'm uncomfortable with the 130 grain for any bear. While the .270 is light for griz, it works as long as your bullet is a penetrator. A guide outfitter I knew hunted on crutches and carried a .35 something-or-other for backup, while some of his hunters packed the .270. I eventually bought a .300 WM and loaded 200 gr Barnes "X" for griz and big ungulates

A secondary but important reason why I got away from the 130 grain .270 bullet was meat damage. One shoulder shot on a fork horn mule deer, my first deer, wiped out 100% of the meat on the onside shoulder - just pulped everything into a purple slime. Since going to the 150 grain bullet I've had no meat issues at all. I've shot moose, elk and bears with it, although not always by preference.

One last point is .270 versus 7mm Rem Mag. (I'm not going to the "which is better" place.) A buddy and I were at the range one day sighting my .270 and his 7mm. He didn't have a chronograph and I did, so he got to chrono his 7mm for the first time. It turned out that I was hotter than he was by 200 fps. , plus or minus. He was using "gift" handloads that the maker had never tested in his rifle. Given that we were both shooting 150 grain bullets, I think it is fair to say that I had him outgunned with my .270, much to his surprise and disgust!

Cheers!

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
This thread brings to mind a question I often ponder...why doesn't Nosler offer a 140-grain Partition? They gave us a Ballistic Tip in that weight, so why not a Partition?

Although it's the "classic" weight for the .270 Win., I think the 130-gr. is often a little on the light side. You'll see it written that the 130-gr. is a "varmint" weight for the .280 Rem., but for some reason it's the standard weight for the .270 Win. Doesn't make sense, if you ask me. These two rounds are just too close to being twins for there to be a difference in bullet weight applications.

So, just as the 139-gr. seems to be the standard for the .280 Rem., I see the 140-gr. as the same for the .270 Win. Additionally, I don't see why the heavier weights sometimes used in the .280 Rem. (i.e. 175-gr.) aren't available for the .270 Win.

Oh well, sorry to ramble...

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Talus>
posted
With whitetails, I would rather err on the side of meat damage. I have often had 130 grain CoreLokts just blow up at close range -- but not before the vitals were jellied. Meat damage is not on my top 10 list of concerns when hunting. I want my critter dead NOW, at whatever cost. If I wanted cheap meat I'd by beef fillets after doing the math concerning hunting.

I'm not applauding the CoreLokts, understand. But I would rather have them than a bullet I could not trust to expand on whitetails.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I wanted cheap meat I'd by beef fillets after doing the math concerning hunting.

Shhhhhhhh. Some wife might see this.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote