Find
Notify
Tools

Jose Wejebe RIP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
I know this isn't the fishing forum, but thought I'd share this here. I know guys who fished with JW, and had nothing but praise for him as a conservationist, sportsman and good guy.

Sad news. I'm not a fan of very many hunting/fishing programs on TV, but Spanish Fly was one I usually could not only make it through, but enjoy. A guide friend of mine has done a couple of shows with JW, chasing bluefin and big bass on the fly. I understand he was a true conservationist, and truly worked to protect fisheries. RIP.

http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2...ted-everglades-city/

The host of a popular fishing TV show was killed Friday afternoon when his single-engine plane crashed in Everglades City.

Jose Wejebe, who hosted Spanish Fly, a saltwater fishing show on the Outdoor Channel and formerly ESPN, died when his kit plane plummeted into a field near the runway shortly after take-off from Everglades Airpark. Wejebe is the registered owner of the plane, according to FAA records.

Cuba-born Wejebe was known for his extensive travels chasing big fish, which took him from the Gulf of Mexico to the Galapagos.

His ex-wife, Lynne Calero, confirmed that Wejebe died in the crash.

EARLIER

One person died Friday afternoon when a small plane crashed near an Everglades City airstrip.

The single-engine plane was taking off from Everglades Airpark.

"It went up and then it landed on an empty field next to the runway," said Jamie Mosbach, spokeswoman for the Collier County Sheriff's Office.

There was no confirmation on the identity of the victim, she said, adding that gathering information at the scene was difficult because the plane caught fire.

"There's no way of reading a tailnumber," Mosbach said, because the plane "was destroyed."

The National Transportation Safety Board, one of the federal agencies that investigate plane crashes, has been "notified of an accident and is gathering information," but has no further information at this time, according to Washington, D.C.-based spokesman Peter Knudson.

An East Naples fire captain said reports from the scene were "that nobody could survive."

"It doesn't sound too good," he added.

Fire trucks responded from Everglades City and Port of the Isles, he said.

The airpark is on 29 acres on the southwest end of Everglades City.

EARLIER

A small plane has crashed in a field next to the Everglades Airpark.

An East Naples fire captain said reports from the scene were "that nobody could survive", adding that the plane was on fire after the crash.

"It doesn't sound too good," he added.

Fire trucks responded from Everglades City and Port of the Isles, he said.

The airpark is on 29 acres on the southwest end of Everglades City.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was stationed in FL for 3 years. Met Jose once. Heck of a nice guy. Struck me as the type of guy that would bend over backwards to help you catch some fish.

Sorry to hear that he is gone. The world needs more guys like him.

Posts: 60 | Location: Colorado by birth. Navy by choice. | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loved his show; one of my favorite fishing shows. I remember one show in which he took his daughter out fishing and discussed his "daughter's mom" having a marine biology degree or something. Obvious they were divorced.

Very sad. He was a great guy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the only fishing shows I actually liked...only new him from the show, but seemed like a down to earth guy. Frowner

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah man.....RIP Jose....and tight lines. By all accounts a good dude, and a hell of a fisherman.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jose, RIP

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
One of very few fishing shows I enjoyed. Jose is what made the show. Seemed to be a genuine fellow. Godspeed. His show convinced me to go to the Keys and fish the flats someday... I'll think of him when I do.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is sad, I used to see Jose every year at the ICAST show in Vegas, super nice guy.He always said if I made it to FL look himup and he take me fishing, now I wish I had done that.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
RIP,
I'll bet that he's one of the few dies out there who didn't have a bucket list...
At least he really lived.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Like others here have said, Spanish Fly was one of the few fishing shows I enjoyed watching. Very sad for his family. Tight lines, Jose.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep RIP Jose'
Hellava fisherman

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
He had the only fishing shows that I always enjoyed over the years.

RIP Jose

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
Like others here have said, Spanish Fly was one of the few fishing shows I enjoyed watching. Very sad for his family. Tight lines, Jose.

+1 In a industry of shockingly poor or boring outdoor TV shows his set the standard years ago! Too bad for his passing.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Very sad....he was one of my absolute favorite guys on TV to watch. He will be missed.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote