Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Depend On Wild Game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Wife is new to game meat, growing up elk, deer, antelope were a big part of life. We also raised our own livestock.

I would love to raise our own livestock and fill the freezer with wild fish and game.

Hopefully soon!

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't depend on it, but it's great to have. Venison probably makes up 30-40% of our meat supply. My wife won't eat small game under any circumstances, but she loves venison.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We eat a fair amount depending upon the time we have to hunt. Current freezer is week stocked with oryx and hog. The oryx has essentially become our staple of late.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We eat 6-8 deer per year. We always run out just as archery season opens in October. Some is also given away to the less fortunate. We make all kinds of meat dishes but a favorite in my house is fried venison steak served with homegrown corn and mashed potatoes gleaned from the neighbor's field. We are fortunate and we thank God.

Posts: 75 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, the best steak recipe is also the simplest. We trim very well and cut across the grain to a thickness of 1/4" to 3/8". The steaks are seasoned with just salt and black pepper and seared quickly in a very hot skillet a few seconds per side so they are still pink in the middle. Makes me hungry just describing it.

Posts: 75 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we dont depend on it, but it seems like thats all we eat. As cheap as axid does, and oryx are here lately our freezer will be full for a while. every couple of months we break down and get a steak.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We haven't bought red meat in over 20. It's time to go deer or elk hunting when the larder gets low. Had moose this year.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between my oldest son and I we can kill 10 white tail deer, 8 turkey and unlimited hogs and exotics. I kill hogs on the average of once a month when I go to my lease. I have two freezers in my garage for venison, pork and turkey. We very seldom buy anything but chicken or Salmon from the store.

Chops, steaks, roasts, ground venison, ground pork, patty and link sausage, buck sticks, spaghetti,chili, jerky. We eat the heck out of the stuff

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Redhead:
By the way, the best steak recipe is also the simplest. We trim very well and cut across the grain to a thickness of 1/4" to 3/8". The steaks are seasoned with just salt and black pepper and seared quickly in a very hot skillet a few seconds per side so they are still pink in the middle. Makes me hungry just describing it.

That sounds good. Most people over cook wild game meat.
Especially soince usually wild game meat has less fat content that store bought meat.

Using bacon is a great idea. I usually bone out the deer and pig hams. We will slice them up, wrap them in bacon and cook them on the grill.
I use one of those grill "devices" that you can put the meat in, put the cover on it, and you can turn all the meat at the same time. Works great.

Tonight I am cooking Rosemary pork, using a piece of pig ham. Since it is lean I have seasoned it, covered it with bacon end pieces, and I will cook it in a covered Corning Ware dish in the oven. I will also make some oven fried Turnips, from some fresh turnips the neighbor gave us, and some purple hull peas I bought from the lady who raised them, and works at the county trash dump, on the one day a week they are open to the public.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We don't buy any store beef and eat
alot of wild game.
The freezer has seen good use over the years.
Elk,deer,sheep,antelope,moose,axis,fallow,pig,
Red Deer,Mt.lion,pheasants,chukers,Blue grouse
only got 1 way out, through my "frying pan."
Wife loves elk and can turn a pheasant
into "finger lickin good", not so much love with deer or antelope.
We do buy lamb from the neighbor and 2 or 3 chickens when someone butchers.
I've got to where I'll grind or have some different sausage made out of most of the big game and keep the straps in big pieces
to do whatever with.
I don't so much depend on it, as prefer it.
Mountain raised, native grass and clean water no hormones, no steroids,
antibiotics... none of that junk.
Just trace amounts of heavy metal
and We don't eat that part.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
After reading the entire thread I would sum it up as

"no one here" depends on wild game as a food source however some here make a living guiding and do depend on wild game

As food....hell no! If we spend all kinds of $$$$ on hunting and even the Internet we damn sure don't depend on wild meat for food

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ageed. Have not had to DEPEND on wild game since 1981, but I sure do enjoy it. Even have help from wife eating it as long as she don't have to see me kill or process it.

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Not off the grid here in MT, but >95% of our meat is elk, pronghorn and deer hunted, killed and butchered the old-fashioned way....by me!

The <5% is pork or chicken that the wife smuggles into the house on occasion. My picky kids' favorite meal is "bloody elk steak".

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I love wild game and its most of the meat I eat.

I cant say that I depend on it though. I dont think anyone that can afford to buy a car would depend on it. What I spend to hunt I could easily buy a whole cow with. :P

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I were first married and in college, we were so poor we were on food stamps. We used that for everything except meat. For 38 years we've relied upon my hunting for our meat supply. For the past 35 years we haven't absolutely needed wild meat to survive, but it is our choice. We have multiple freezers full of Moose, Elk, Buffalo, Sheep, Salmon, Halibut and Crab. We can, dry, smoke and freeze wild meat and our kids do their meat foreaging at our house also. Last night it was elk taco's for us and four grandkids, then we colored eggs. It doesn't get any better.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck, springbuck, kudu, Southern mountain reedbuck, grey duiker, young blue wildbeest and warthog [old ones end up as sausage] Eland is the best but too much. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bushbuck, springbuck, kudu, Southern mountain reedbuck, grey duiker, young blue wildbeest Eland is the best but too much.

Not fair! CRYBABY My experience, african plains game has no gamey taste like our wild game. The best tasting wild game ever was eland, fried in a seasoned and heavey oiled disc blade (farm implement). tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote