Notify
Tools

Re: Magnums, I'l get flamed!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted
capt david-

I'm a huge fan of 30.06- it's my only .30cal. and I have no plans of replacing the one I have but if I was buying a new .30cal today I'd by the 300WSM instead of the 30.06.

I like the shorter case, faster powders and the extra 200-250fps over the .06.

I don't like belted mags....

this is my .06

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Nothing, if all the hits are same. My 270 WBM has a lighter recoil than my 270 Win; go figure.

I'll counter that question. What is a magnum?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
captdavid,

I have shot dozens of game animals w/ a 30-06 and dozens w/ a Magnum too (7mm RM & 300 WM). I still take a 30-06 when I go to places where distances are short and cover is thick although, the longest big game shot I have made was w/ a 06'(455 yards). The 30-06 w/ a 180 grn bullet is a heck of a brush gun.

Now as far as killing game, the Magnums are far superior in my experiences. Just about every game animal I have shot w/ the Magnums has dropped at the shot or only made it a very short distance.

The game animals I have taken w/ the ole' 06' have went quite a ways before expiring but, there was a few that fell pretty close to impact.

The magnums cause much more internal damage from the higher velocity which, results in a much cleaner kill. Not to mention, far better ballistics.

They are both great cart. and I feel confident w/ either of them when I go to the woods.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote