posted
Remington 360 buck hammer.

Looks interesting.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/...uckhammer-cartridge/

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hooray.

A rimmed straight wall 348 Winchester lite.

In 5 years it won’t even be a memory.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This came up on another forum, and the cartridge was very quickly thrashed and trashed.
I see it much differently. The case is almost exactly halfway between the .35-30 Maynard and the .35-40 Maynard. Carefully loaded with black powder and a paper-patch bullet, it should make up into a wonderful single-shot target rifle for those highly popular 10-rod offhand shoots.
I am actually somewhat serious about this ... Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much different than a 38-55.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What was ever wrong with the 375 Win.? And that died a long time ago.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some jurisdictions which previously prohibited rifles for deer hunting have modified their regulations (irrationally in my view) to allow for "straight-walled" centerfire cartridges which meet certain criteria. I've got to assume that this cartridge was designed to fill this specific purpose -- as was apparently the .350 Legend.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Some jurisdictions which previously prohibited rifles for deer hunting have modified their regulations (irrationally in my view) to allow for "straight-walled" centerfire cartridges which meet certain criteria. I've got to assume that this cartridge was designed to fill this specific purpose -- as was apparently the .350 Legend.

Yes, it was.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gu...555954#affinity=deer

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal is bringing out ammo for it.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/...er-shok-rifle-loads/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish they’d just produce enough ammo for the two hundred existing cartridges rather than wild goose chase yet another new boutique cartridge. What are they thinking?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Designed for straight wall deer states.

It might do quite well

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Why don't they just bring back the 350 Rem Magnum? This cartridge is a waste of time.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
I wish they’d just produce enough ammo for the two hundred existing cartridges rather than wild goose chase yet another new boutique cartridge. What are they thinking?

+1

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Why don't they just bring back the 350 Rem Magnum? This cartridge is a waste of time.

\
As noted it does not meet the requirements of some states.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because the cartridge you mention isn't legal in the several states that require a straight wall case. The cartridge in this discussion is designed for deer hunters in straight wall states.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to see Ruger bring in out in a No.1 light sporter.

Then a 336 with half mag and 24 inch barrel.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I like to see Ruger bring in out in a No.1 light sporter.

Then a 336 with half mag and 24 inch barrel.

Good luck....
Ruger's focus is about 95% Precision rifle, AR15 and the American series
With 80% of those being chambered in 5.56, 6 and 6.5 CM

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:

It was weaksauce. If the had based it on the 405 Win it would've been something.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if they'd have went with the 250-265gr. bullet weight instead of the 200-220 it would have been a different story.

my 375 with a 265gr. cast bullet perforated a nice 6x6 elk from 125 yds through the back of the ribs and out the chest like it was a paper target.

kinda wishing I'd cut that ww alloy down with some pure lead, until he just face planted 10 steps later.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:

It was weaksauce. If the had based it on the 405 Win it would've been something.

I don't know----I get 2350 fps. with a 220 gr. Hornady outa my .375W----Dat ain't 2 shabby!

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
2 years ago it was the 350 Legend.

https://www.themeateater.com/w...or-whitetail-hunting

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see this cartridge as a tailor made cartridge for those few states that have very specific design parameters for deer hunters, especially those using lever guns.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post

Agreed.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Oops, forgot to mention that the 1895 Winchester rifle shown is chambered in .405 WCF.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately most things .358 have a nasty habit of not catching on. I applaud Remington and Henry for giving us the option though. An improvement on the 35 Remington in a classic lever gun is intriguing to me, but I would consider a good set of dies and a stock pile of brass to go with it as essential. Being the 358 fan that I am, if it were made in a Marlin I would be all over this one. I just cant seem to warm up to the Henry look though.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Cape Buff with Teddy R's rifle. Does life get any better than that? Cool

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
REMEMBER
The cartridge was created to meet the requirements put forth in state regulations.
Seems to be much better design than the Legend.
Heck those State requirements may even provide a table to revive the 357 MAX!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
The straight wall cartridge appearance and legalization in many states happened before Covid and during Covid. A firearms retailer told me that the State (MD) legalized its use in an effort to give gun dealers a boost during times of slow sales. It has been a big success around here.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will just stick with my 348 mod 71 Deluxe or my 9.3x62 FN

I would like to find a 358 Win in the 99F of 1950s..just because..

Its no wonder the fireams companies are always going in bank ruptsy, they hire these over educated idiots to come up with crack pot calibers that are not needed, pay off some politicians to make stupid laws that make no since. All they need to do is fire the bean counters and meet the demand at hand.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Ray, your 348 or 9.3x62 is not legal to hunt deer in several states. The 450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend, and now this new caliber appeals to hunters in those states.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone did not do a little homework on this one. The specs are about s fistful fps slower than the 375 Winchester using a 200 grain bullet. Being a 358 caliber cartridge it has good 200 grain bullets to work off of, of better SD than a 200 grain 375. Yet, being a lever action cartridge will limit the bullets that can be used. The two cartridges would be identical with 250 grain bullets. Really, they are the same with 200 grain bullets.

Once again, nothing new here. Winchester did it with the 375 Win. The game intended will not notice the increase in SD.

The 350 Legend still has one advantage. It is not a lever cartridge with rim like this 360 (358 caliber cartridge). The 350 Legend is being built in America’s Rifle (AR-15s).

I prefer levers, but the market has spoken. This 360 Buck Hammer is a fine addition, but will not eclipse the 350 Legend for two reasons; 1) in ability to manufacture on the AR-15 platform with mass production (some one might figure out how to make the rim work on a limited basis), and 2) the best spire point 180 and 200 grain, 358 bullets like Branes and even the Hornady interlock are not loadable in a lever action.

I will Be interested to see Vista loads the Branes buster hollow point, all Cooper bullet for this cartridge. That bullet is safe for lever actions.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
It seems pretty dumb to me that Remington would introduce a new cartridge that for all practical purposes can only be used in lever and single shot rifles. That sure shrinks your potential market. Probably done to save a few bucks on case production since they're already making 30/30 cases. Now if they had just produced a rimless version of the 30/30 as the basis for this new round they would have a much larger potential market for their new cartridge.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of such states and never hunted them!! Do the locals not vote. Are the law makers required to have a first grade education.

Several posts caught me off guard, as today Ive been informed that the 30-30 is a straight walled case. I suspect in such a state a wildcat 35/30-30 commonly known as a 375 Win or 38-55 with a 30-30 head stamp might not pass muster in those states or create all manner of confusion.

Never mind, just having a bad day wasting my time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote