Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey Diary
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have been trying hard for a turkey the past few years. The main issue has been property access so I have very little experience with these big birds. They are considered big game here in Michigan. I got onto some property today and here is what happened:

~~~~~~~~~~
Today's turkey hunt was neat. I had not pre-scouted as I got permission just last night. I had a long visit with the property owner who goes away for the winter. She is very supportive of hunting though she does not hunt herself. But it is the property I lease to hunt deer on and I had seen turkeys there many times during deer season and knew some of the trees they liked to roost in until the leaves fell. Once the leaves went, so did the turkeys.

I decided I would take my chance that they would be using them now. I figured if they weren't, at least I might find them this morning by listening for birds. I was basically out to scout but ready if the opportunity appeared. Damp and Humid, hot already, I am up at 0430 hours. Took the day off work to take a go take on turkeys. I get out there at 0520 hours. Once parked and "saddled up", I started to walk slowly into the woods, the high canopy well sprouted in spring leaf. I put some "Sneaky Leaves" on my camo last night. I will blend in well, I think to myself!

The woods was still and the air thick with humidity, it stormed furiously last night. But I could see stars through the hazy darkenss now. I wore my rubber boots since there had been so much spring rain. Good thing I did, the woods were sopping wet. I walked on towards the last place I saw birds roosting in fall.

Well, turns out the birds were there where I had seen them before. I ended up walking in right under a small group roosted high up in a tall basswood tree. It was still quite dark but one of them putted a couple of times. They stayed where they were and I hurried on ahead further into the woods. I was hoping they would forget about me as it would not be light out for a while yet. I set up quietly about 70 yards away. I had my shooting stick, a folding seat, my shotgun with #5 in it and a box call all ready to go. I took my time and drank some hot coffee savoring it's flavor and the waking song birds as they let it be known it is spring. Still had lots of time yet and I watched things lighten up slowly.

I about lost it when a gobbler erupted in his morning "hello!!!" Gobbling nearly over head!

Well, it turns out he was about 70 yards west of me high in a swamp maple. It took me some time to locate him, there were several big trees in between us. He was the only one gobbling and the only bird in that tree. He did not know I was there but answered all of my squeaky yelps. I was sure he was in love! WOW, I thought, he is real close and HE IS TALKING TO ME! I could barely make him out through the branches but could see part of his tail. He was fanning and displaying while up in the tree! Occasionally I could see his red and blue head, which looked small.

He took his sweet time getting down from the tree though. I watched him fly down but he flew to where the other birds were roosted when I came in. I never heard them fly down but they were gone, I knew they would be. The tom looked around for them, I could see him puffing up and strutting when ever I called. He was at least 90 yards away, too far! I can tell he's a mature bird and not a jake. I called to him and he answered every time but he did a semi circle and headed north through the woods. I could hear him gobble now and then, getting quite distant. He was the only gobbler, I am sure as no other birds were heard. I am not sure what the other roosted birds were but they never made a sound. I figure hens were nesting by now but maybe not? These birds may remain a mystery. A friend had run across some nests with hens on them while doing a tree survey recently in a nearby area.

I waited a while and decided to skedaddle and try again tomorrow. I figured it best to not let the tom know I was there by foolishly looking for him in the woods. I always walk real slow going out of the woods and saw a lot of other game, several deer, rabbits, chucks and many song birds. I walked past some young deer in my sneaky leaf costume. They didn't really look at me but I could see them clearly. On they browsed undisturbed. That gave me some ideas for fall.

I was almost out to the car and then I heard the tom come back, he apparently was looking for the mystery bird he heard! This was nearly an hour after I lost him. But I could hear his loud gobbles. I smiled, I knew where he was. Later, a friend tells me that being that close to a mature gobbler is as good as if I got him.

So I hope he will roost again in the vicinity. I will be near where I saw him fly down today....calling and waiting.

Wish me luck!

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice story Ann.Being up and out at that time is like going to church.For me anyway.Happy Hunting.

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Part II
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More storms Friday evening!

Saturday I get up at 0430 again, clean up and get out into the woods for another try.

This day is MUCH different from yesterday. There is a HUGE temperature difference. Now it is cold, very cold, probably a 30 degree change. I am wearing long johns and a winter deer hunting jacket along with my normal spring attire. The sneaky leafs are doing a dance on my jacket 'cause I am so cold!

It is cloudy and windy, no stars this morning. But off I go and set up at my planned spot. Everything is wet and cold in the woods. I took two hen decoys today. Once I am comfortable I sip my coffee waiting to hear my gobbler announce he is awake. Behind me I can hear and feel a grouse drumming.

He is very persistant....WHOOOP....WHOOP...Whoop....Whoop....whoop...whoop!!!

In the distance I hear a rooster pheasant cackle. Someone in the area has peacocks and I listen to their mournful calls too.

Soon I hear the gobbler but he is not here! He is far to the north. I decide to grab my things and start looking for him. I listen for a gobble and move. This goes on for some time until I reach the north ditch which is also the property line! He is roosting on another property!

So I set up some decoys in a grassy opening and hope I can entice him my way by calling. He is north of me and the wind is coming from the north in strong gusts. I doubt he can hear me but I persist.

During this time I became surrounded by a herd of whitetail deer. Here I am sitting on the ground and they are 45 yards away, browsing and cavorting. I keep calling and the deer pretty much ignore me. Now and then they look in my direction and stare, then carry on. I observe two velveteen bucks hanging together and a couple of does and their yearlings. The bucks have pretty good sized antler knobs on their heads. One is showing where he will have brow tines, maybe he will be the buck I kill this fall.

I'd answer the tom when he would call. When I could tell the tom was no longer roosting it was evident he was heading north himself, opposite to my location. His calls became fainter and fainter....

I heard no other toms that morning.

Back home I made a fire in my woodstove and had some hot tea to recap the morning hunt.

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote