Find
Notify
Tools

Good luck on Wyoming elk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
I just got back from a great elk hunt in Wyoming.
Even though I had max points in Wyoming, it still took a lot of luck to draw a Type 1 elk tag for unit 124 southeast of Rock Springs. Much of that unit is BLM. But I got even luckier by drawing one of the 5 access passes to hunt the Tipton Hunt Management Area in that unit.
If you’re not familiar with that area, most if it is high desert so it’s really interesting country to hunt for elk. It’s not the usual habitat we think of for elk. Most of us would think more about antelope being in that type of country and I did see some terrific antelope bucks too.

While I’ve been fortunate to get to guide quite a few people on elk hunts in California over the years, I’d never drawn a tag for myself. The unit 124 rifle season is long, about 6 weeks, so I packed up my gear and was planning to stick it out until I got a good bull.
I arrived at the unit a few days before rifle season and got a rough feel for the parts of the unit I wanted to hunt. Once season opened I got more serious about my chosen areas. My streak of luck continued when I spotted what looked like a bull sneaking into a small draw at first light one morning. Even though I got the spotting scope on him just before he went out of sight, the light was poor and the distance was great so I couldn’t completely assess his antlers. He sure seemed to warrant a closer look. In that open country it was a pretty long stalk and I fully expected the bull to pop out of that draw somewhere and spot me before I could get within range. But he didn’t.
Of course I assumed the worse and couldn’t picture that a mature bull would hang around in that shallow draw long enough for me to close the distance – I figured he must have worked his way up or down the draw and stayed out of sight.
The wind wasn’t good so I had to loop around downwind of where I’d last seen the bull. A coyote was on the edge of the same draw and since he hadn’t winded me I figured if the bull was still in the draw he probably hadn’t winded me either.
As I looped around and came back up wind I spotted the bull feeding in the very bottom of the canyon. The bull had his head down and seemed calm. He was at around 350 yards and the edges of the draw were in the way for a clean shot so I needed to keep closing the distance and get a better angle.
But I probably got a bit greedy and the bull looked up and caught me flat-footed at what the range finder had just said was 228 yards. I froze for what seemed like forever while he stared at me. At that point I had decided he was a good bull and I should take him… but had I blown it now that he’d seen me? He turned his head for just an instant and started to trot away – that was my chance to hit the dirt as the hill I was on was perfect for a prone shot. The bull was quartering away and the opportunity was quickly evaporating.
While preparing for the hunt I thought I should probably get a cow call in case I needed to slow or calm a bull, but I thought that since I was hunting so late after the rut it would be a wasted piece of gear. As the bull was trotting away I was thinking, “I should have brought a cow call!”
I’d never tried making a cow call before that moment and I’m sure my impromptu attempt was terrible… but it stopped the bull just long enough for me slip a 225 grain Barnes TTSX through the back of the bulls ribs and allow it to exit through the opposite shoulder.
From the hand full of elk hunts I’ve guided I’d learned that bulls seem to take a while to realize they’re dead. The shot felt good, but the bull kept running away. He switched directions about 90 degrees, but was still showing progress at leaving what I was hoping would be the “kill site”. While I probably could have been more patient, it dawned on me that if I was guiding - and wasn’t exactly sure where the first shot hit on an animal running away - that I’d be telling the client to shoot again. So I took my own advice and put what turned out to be a second bullet through the lungs from the bulls other side.
He went down and stayed down after the second shot. What a sense of relief as I’ve wanted a bull for myself since I was a kid.
As I approached the bull the awe and appreciation set in. While I’ve been really happy for all my clients approaching their animals, its different when you get to put your own tag on an animal, the meat goes on your BBQ and the antlers go on your wall.

Going alone on a hunt really frees up your schedule for how much time you can devote to the hunt, but on an animal of that size it makes the task of boning and packing out the meat pretty ominous. The “hunters high” of getting to harvest such a great animal carries a person through, but I’d forgotten how much work it is to process an elk.
The rifle was a Sako 75 in .340 Wby. The scope was a 3.5x10 Leupold and, of course, the Barnes bullets were handloads.
The meat is at the butcher, the negotiations with my wife for where to eventually put the head in our under-sized house are nearly complete… and the memories will always be in my mind.
My good luck carried me through every part of this hunt and I really appreciate the experience, adventure, trophy and meat that Wyoming provided this October. My thanks go to the good people and sound game management in Wyoming.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kyler,

Congrats...very nice looking bull...great mass in the upper antlers...I know you are not an "inch guy" but did you score him?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull Kyler congratulations! Thanks for sharing the whole story.

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Helluva nice bull and a great story. Congrats beer

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Kyler

Congratulations on a great bull!

When I lived in N.Ca I always figured that I would make it down to hunt pigs with you but it never came to pass. I still plan to book a hunt with you when I come back to visit.

I wish I would have known that you were in my new area, I would have offered my services to help you pack that bull out.

Pretty neat that you were able to pull that off solo.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'm really fortunate to have gotten the bull.

Mike, I've had several people ask me what the bull scored so I took a shot at measuring it. I'm no expert, but I came up with 335 1/8. Ravenr tried his best to judge him from the photo, but I'm afraid he fell short with his estimate of 335 even. Smiler

Whether he "scored" 235, 335 or 435 I'm really happy with him.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bull, no doubt.

He sure looks bigger than 335"! But, regardless of what it scores its a great looking bull!

Myself and my dad have max points. This is a unit that I have been considering.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
That sucker is huge!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very impressive bull! Love that mass... tu2

Thanks for sharing.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story and congrats our you great bull!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a Bull.Congrats!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great bull dude!!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that old boy! Congrats on a well conducted hunt!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great bull. I spent a bit of time out there scouting for my deer hunt and that would be the second largest bull I saw on the unit. You did extremely well.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are some nice bulls down hwy 430 out of rock springs.
I seen a bachelor herd of 5 down that way about 4 years ago that looked just awesome with the sun coming up behind them.

there is a LOT of open land out that way and you CAN go weeks/months without seeing a deer or an elk.
congrat's on getting a nice one.
that elk is over 335 i'm sure.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT is a Magnificent Desert Bull!!
Never seen the area,
never hunted that species in that habitat
and if I understand, In less than a week
You figure it out and smoke that bull?
Kyler, Thats the story here,
Well Played Sir patriot

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great bull! I'll be out in that area this Wednesday through Sunday trying to find one of those big desert mulies.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
great job and nice elk!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Bull, great report.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done.....and congrats on a great bull!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great bull and a great solo hunt.
Packing that much meat out will sure make you appreciate a horse Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler that's a BULL!!!
Well done tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well, Kyler's measurements may be a little off...

Kyler is not an expert measurer but he is an expert at "cheater" photos... Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Guilty as charged. I haven't measured many elk so I sure could be off one way or the other, but after 25 years of guiding I've taken a lot of exaggerated photos... so I do know how to do that.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I feel real lucky to have taken that bull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bull. Scores are overrated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull, nice job!