New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light & fast or heavy & slow?
 Login/Join

<monz>
posted
What do you prefer, a fast and light bullet or a heavy and slow for big game hunting?

one of us
posted Hide Post
the bigger the better. what's the fun if it doesn't kill at both ends?

All kidding aside though, I'd rather err on the side of bigger and slower (over caution) than have bullets do things, like explode on contact with an animal (typical of smaller and fatser).

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a medium weight for caliber in a premium bullet. 7mm - 160gr. Just smoking out there,good energy and good trajectory. But a excellent quality bullet is a must.

Happy Hunting

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Light and fast in the smaller calibers (100 gr in .25-05)

Heavy and slow in the larger calibers (250 gr in .338-06AI)

------------------
Jesus is the reason for the season.

<sure-shot>
posted
For big game my general preferences:
6mm 95gr Nosler Part
7mm 140gr-160gr depending on the cartridge
30cal 165-200gr same as above
338 210gr-225gr
I generally choose a mid- weight bullet sacrificing some energy for higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Penetration is never a problem with Nosler Part., Barnes or the other premium bullets. For certain specialized hunting situations(deep timber-heavy game) I would opt for a heavy Partition in 30cal on up, this is the beauty of handloading. sure-shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monz, if my opinion counts for anything, I like a light and fast bullet in my small game calibres 22/250 etc. But for larger game I like slower heavier bullets, and for larger game out to 100 yards (in reality a fair bit of shooting is done at these types of ranges pigs etc.) I like heavy bullets with a large frontal area. When I think about this I always seem to comapre the 45/70 with the 30/06. I have shot plenty of game with both and on paper they seem fairly similar, yet this is not the experience I have had. The difference b/w say a 300 grain hp sierra .458 bullet hitting game and the 165 grain 30/06 bullet hitting the same type of target at say 70 yards is a lot different than the results on paper indicate. The .458 cal 300 gr sierra doing 2150 at the muzzle is spectacular to say the least, and it kills quicker leaving huge wounds and large blood trails.

Were 7mm's, 30/06's etc. shine is at the longer ranges, but if ranges were only out to say 120 yards those slow moving large frontal heavy projectiles seem to kill excellently. Even a .44 mag 240 gr out to 50 yards seems to be a spectacular killer of thin skinned game more so than the more powerful 30/30.

This is just what I have noticed with the game that I have shot and rifles I have experience with. When I hunt I try to match the rifle with the hunting area.

Regards PC

------------------

[This message has been edited by PC (edited 12-10-2001).]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Light and fast can be spectacular and instant kills are very common, but it can backfire on ocassion...they shoot a little flatter, but is the difference signifecant? debatable.

Heavy and slow is pure positive but they run a little and leave a good blood trail...

I like the heavy and slow, but I see no reason to choose between the two...

I prefer to use a 300 H&H for long range with 180 and 200 gr. bullets for my light and fast. I use a 338, 9.3, 375, 416 and up for short range as by heavy and slow..

Bottom line: Always use enough gun for the circumstances needed. Use the right tool for the job at hand.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the heaviest weight for calibre that I can still drive @ 2800fps. If need be, I will sacrifice fps for greater weight.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Heavy and Not so slow

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of parameters to take into account when choosing a bullet for a given caliber. Light and fast bullets are not always better. Neither are heavy and slow ones. The case capacity and cartridge dimensions determine what length bullet can be used to best effect in that cartridge. Sometimes there are points of diminishing returns at both the light and heavy side with the optimum somewhere in between.

The simple fact is that the bullet has to do some work in the target. The ability to do work boils down to how much momentum and energy is available. Comparing three bullets of equally robust construction, fired from a 375H&H, we see the following momentum and energy figures at 100 meters:

220 gr @ 2980 fps 79/3078
300 gr @ 2660 fps 103/3891
350 gr @ 2400 fps 108/3662
380 gr @ 2200 fps 107/3314

These loads run at virtually identical pressure levels and the 300 grain bullet can do the most work. It also has the flattest trajectory, the least wind drift and the lowest time of flight with all the advantages those factors have.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
It used to be cut and dried for me, large caliber, heavy, not so slow. If I were actively hunting a lot today, I am afraid I would be trying lighter faster in a Barnes or other monometal type bullet. My first 7mm, circa 1964, left me less than impressed on moose, but could be quite effective on smaller game. I'm sure I would like the 7mm better with better bullet designs. The last deer I shot I took with a 30 yr old reload of mine in my Dads 270, heart shot, watched him run about a hundred yds then fold. I was very confident of the shot so no second shot. The larger slower variation would have laid him down in the alfalfa on the spot, with a higher shot placement, which would have cost more eating meat than the heart shot. Of course, whitetail do not typically fight back like ursus can.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
I only whitetail deer hunt using 30 caliber rifles. I used to be a 150-165 grain man, but since switching to Barnes X Bullets I have dropped to 130-140 grain bullets with great success. Instant kills or very little tracking. Velocity ends up at the most accurate loading.----------Chainsaw

<Daryl Elder>
posted
I agree with PC. The bigger the game, the bigger the bullet. For deer, the '06 with 165s. For bears, moose, elk I like to pack my 9.3. But, like I've stated B4, it's when you become the hunted that one wishes for a larger stick. Also, as Chainsaw says, one can drop weight with premium bullets to get faster speed and flatter trajectory--to a point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daryl did that e-mail I sent get through to you re-woodleighs for the 45/70, have you tried them out yet???.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a heavy bullet going very fast.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Wolverine>
posted
It depends on the quarry, bullet construction, etc.

Heavy and fast is fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For animals up to 300 pounds, give me light and fast.

For animals over 300 pounds, give me heavy and slower.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Aw shucks, Gerard had to go and change the rules !!!!!!!

------------------
Jesus is the reason for the season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monz:
What do you prefer, a fast and light bullet or a heavy and slow for big game hunting?

Bears & up:
180 gr @ 3000
200 gr @ 2800

Black bear & down:
.270 - 150 gr @ 2800

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBBruce,
Is the 308 above a 30-06 AI?

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

<phurley>
posted
I prefer the heavier bullets of each chambering I shoot, and the faster the better. A .300 win and 180gr. bullet at 3100 fps or a 200 gr. at 2900 plus. A .340 wby and 225 gr. bullet at 3150 fps and a 250 gr. at 3000. A .358 STA and a 280 gr. bullet at 3000 plus fps. All premium bullets please, on over Deer sized animals. Good shooting.

------------------