New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawaiin and Spanish Ibex in Hawaii?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are researching a hunt in Hawaii, on the island of Kona, for Hawaiin and Spanish Ibex. We are seeking information regarding direct importation of the capes and horns to the U.S. mainland. Is it possible to bring the capes and horns on the airline that we plan to travel? Of course the capes would be salted, dipped and packed for transportation. What, if any, importation permits would we be required to apply for? Is this something that a member of this forum has had any experience with and if so we would appreciate any and all help that could be extended. Please accept our thanks in advance. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Lanai in January and simply had my outfiter overnight the frozen head and cape to me when I got home. It only cost $100 dollars for this and I didn't have to pay a taxidermist to prep it for me.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information JA. MTG

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I have been told that there are no Spanish Ibex outside of Spain. It supposedly is against Spanish law for any Spanish ibex to leave Spain alive. There are no Spanish ibex found in any zoos, etc.
Pls correct me if I have incorrect info.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I hunted out of Kona in July 2011 and February 2012. My cape and horns for my Spanish goat was salted by a taxidermists over in Hilo. The black Hawaiian sheep I killed in February was still in it's raw form, just fleshed and frozen. My outfitter put both of the capes and horns in a single box and I checked it as luggage on the trip home. Once home, I shipped it on to my taxidermist in Texas. I didn't have a single problem doing it this way.

Good luck!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana 1, you may be correct as i have no real information i this regard. There is an outfitter in Hawaii that calls these animals Spanish Ibex. That is all the information that I have. Graybird and JA, I will have my outfitter or his taxidermist prep the capes for transportation for our return flight. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, be sure to get your waiver letter from the state for your hunting license. You have to have hunter's safety course to get your license. and you have to have the letter from the state also.

Posts: 115 | Location: mid west | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waiver? From the state that I reside in? Hunter Ed certificate waiver? Can you be a bit more specific? MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a current hunter ed certificate. Why would I need a letter from the issuing state? I also have have a current small game, big game hunting license from Montana. My state of residence. MTG

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Hawaii requires that you have a Hawaii hunter Ed card or proof that you hold one from another state; therefore, you must submit proof of your hunter Ed card and they will issue you an exemption number regarding their requirements for a Hawaii hunter Ed card.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
I have been told that there are no Spanish Ibex outside of Spain. It supposedly is against Spanish law for any Spanish ibex to leave Spain alive. There are no Spanish ibex found in any zoos, etc.
Pls correct me if I have incorrect info.

San Diego Zoo has some.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hunters safety waiver is easy to get but it does take a couple of weeks to get back. Once you have that you can buy your license online. Just google Hawaii hunting license and all of the information will be there. Good luck.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote