Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan Bill Signed Into Law
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
House Bill 4371, sponsored by Representative Peter Pettalia (R- Presque Isle) and Senate Bill 207, sponsored by Senator Joe Hune (R- Hamburg Township), were signed into law this week by Governor Rick Snyder. The bills eliminate the state’s arbitrary minimum hunting age and create a new mentored youth hunting program.

Michigan law had prohibited youth under the age of 10 from hunting, even when under the supervision of a mentoring adult. Under this new legislation, these youth will now be able to experience hunting under a program administered by the state’s Natural Resources Commission. These new youth hunters will be permitted to hunt while under the supervision of an experienced adult mentor.

This is the second round of Families Afield legislation passed in Michigan since the program’s inception in 2004.

The Families Afield initiative was established by the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, and the National Wild Turkey Federation to bring a new generation of sportsmen to the field. Along with the National Rifle Association and the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation, the Families Afield coalition has worked to pass measures in 32 states with more than 600,000 apprentice or mentored hunting licenses sold since the program’s inception.

In 2004, Michigan was classified as one of the most restrictive states in the country for new hunters. These restrictions were a major factor in the state’s dwindling hunter recruitment numbers.

Michigan’s restrictions included prohibiting youth under the age of 14 from hunting big game and prohibiting those under 12 from hunting small game. Only New York had a higher minimum hunting age requirement. Additionally, Michigan did not have an apprentice hunting program where new hunters could try out hunting under the supervision of an experienced mentor before taking a hunter education course.

In 2006, Michigan took its first step toward lowering these unnecessary restrictions and reversing its low hunter replacement numbers. By passing Families Afield legislation, the state reduced its minimum hunting age from 14 to 12 for big game and from 12 to 10 for small game. It also created an apprentice hunting license for those 10 and older.

This year, Michigan took the next step, fully adopting the Families Afield approach. The state completely removed the minimum hunting age and created a mentored youth hunting program for those under the age of 10.

Since Families Afield was launched, Michigan has gone from one of the most restrictive states in the country to a state that has nearly ideal regulations aimed at safely recruiting new hunters.

These steps have already begun to produce results for recruiting new hunters in the state. Since 2006, Michigan has sold more than 78,000 apprentice licenses – second only to Pennsylvania.

Michigan has become the latest example of the success of the Families Afield program, the hard work of sportsmen, and the recognition by state lawmakers for the need to recruit and retain new hunters.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great news for MI! tu2

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
patriot

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I will take the other side of this discussion. First I am all for kids and hunting. What I am not for is the special 'youth seasons". Michigan runs a special youth season in Sept, I think that let's the kids under 14 to hunt deer at this time. I think they can take either sex. I think back to my anticipation the years prior to me being old enough to go. I am also thinking of the first few seasons where an older hunter would take you out on opening day, set you on a stump and tell you to hold still until he came back. I don't know about the rest of you but I froze my ass off. I think the kids are missing out on some of the anticipation, the maturing and learning process. I also think it ids a bit to easy for them to be out there in the warm Sept sun watching a hay field till an unpressured animal walks out at sunset. Michigan's deer hunting where I live is awful. I have hunted here for 40 years and seen a steady decline in the last 20 years. Allowing kids to shoot deer in Sept. isn't really benifitting anyone in my opinion. maybe where the state has trouble with too many deer but not where I am at. I think it is going the way of everything else these days IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION, no one wants to wait for anything, save for anything, or earn anything. They want ti tall NOW. Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I will go to bed now. Thank you

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well Chain I disagree but thats what makes this forum great.
I think that our very existence as hunters depends on youth interest in the sport.
Lower tag fees, earlier, later and longer seasons for kids is what its going to take to "hook" kids and keep them hunting.
I don't see where paying your dues, going deerless for seasons and freezing your ass off on a stump will generate broad interest in the sport.
If we don't get kids really interested and passionate about hunting and the outdoors we stand a great chance of them being against us in this fight between hunters and "earthies".
Congratulations Michigan, I wish Colorado would lower the age for big game as well.
Just my opinion yours may be different.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I don't see where paying your dues, going deerless for seasons and freezing your ass off on a stump will generate broad interest in the sport.QUOTE]

If that was my experience with deer hunting when I was a kid, I'm sure I would have quit!

Totally agree Snellstrom.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I'm with chain on this issue.

The goal of bringing new recruits into our ranks is certainly a noble one but I believe the urge to hunt is either there or it isn't. If somebody is 'wired' to be a hunter they will do it, no matter what. I know of a kid who got hit hard with the urge to hunt at the age of 14. He lived in a big city and his father did everything possible to discourage the young man's budding interest in hunting. His Dad would tell him "you won't get anything anyway, but if you do you'll have to gut it - and then you'll reallyregret pulling that trigger!"

The lack of encouragement and opportunity didn't faze him in the least. That young man went hunting whenever he could and whenever he could for an entire decade without taking anything at all; not a bird, bunny or squirrel, much less a deer. He kept at it nontheless and was rewarded with his first kill, a small deer, at age 24. Since then, he's taken 432 deer, 15 elk, 12 pronghorns and 2 bison.

That young man who answered the urge to become a hunter 4 decades ago is typing this post.

On the other hand I've met many youngsters who grew up in outdoor-oriented families or live on a farm or ranch that have no real interest in hunting. If they go hunting at all, it's just to "do something" with their family. I really doubt that many of these youngsters will stick with it.

As 'chain' pointed out, there's the issue of instant gratification. If there's anything really wrong with hunting in this day and age it is instant gratification and taking the easiest possible path. We need more ethical, committed sportsmen and women out in the field, not just warm bodies who are out there because it's been made easy for them.

Maybe I'm jealous but why can't the next generation put their time and effort into the hunt like I (and countless others) did?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
Since then, he's taken 432 deer, 15 elk, 12 pronghorns and 2 bison.

432 deer, wow! That sounds like a lot of work??

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
"432 deer, wow! That sounds like a lot of work??"

Most of those deer are the result of what I like to call my 'second job,' ag damage control. No, it's not really a job; I don't get paid for it. Over the past 20 or so years I've filled "ag tags" for at least 18 area farmers. All of the deer have to be recovered and put to good use. A lot of work? YES! One day in late August a few years ago I killed 8 deer in about 20 minutes. I had to gut them, one after the other and get the meat to the cooler, 30 miles away, before it spoiled. I've been out in the woods past midnight recovering and preparing deer but had still had get up for my 'paying' job the next morning.

There were many times that I questioned my sanity for doing this! Then I looked at my bloody hands and thanked God for making me a hunter and giving me such a great opportunity to do what I love to do.

The only reason I posted the numbers is to help illustrate the point that the urge to hunt is either in a person or it isn't. If the urge is there, even a complete lack of opportunity and encouragement will not stop it. "Something" clicked inside my head back in 1970 and I HAD to hunt. 40+ years ago that "something" is still there as strong as ever. And I'm not the only one! There are countless examples on this website alone of people who devote their lives (and spend a fortune) to satisfy the urge to hunt.

The ag damage control example further reinforces my point. Most of those farmers had kids of their own or relatives who could have filled the tags. Imagine being a young man and having the opportuntiy to hunt deer almost year-round, with FREE unlimited tags. All you have to do is take a short hike out the back door and get 'er done. If I'd have had that opportunity when I was a kid I'd have thought I was in heaven.

But the farm kids aren't interested. They'd rather ride the 4 wheeler, play ball at school or play video games. They hunt during the regular season but who knows if they'll keep it up when life (moving off the farm, getting a job and raising a family of their own) makes it a little less convenient to do so.

So it goes with the special youth hunts and seasons. You can lower the bar to make it easy for a kid to take up hunting but there's no guarantee they'll stick to it when they grow up.

I think much of the enthuasism for the special youth hunts is more about the parent's desire to relive their own childhood than it is about a kid's own interest. Unfortunately, it can backfire. Dad might be eager to have his son or daughter become his best hunting buddy but the the kid might not be ready for it. He/she gets cold/tired/bored or might see something they're not emotionally prepared to see - like a wounded deer struggling to escape. Then they're turned off from hunting for life.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think too many concessions are being made. I think this is how we got "deer baiting" in Michigan which I think has ruined alot of areas for hunting. Hunting on a warm September day in Michigan, I feel is not a true representation of what our sport is about. Especially in an area where the deer populations are low. I think these early seasons emaciate the gene pool and the big bucks that are shot during this period, don't get a chance to breed. I think you should earn your deer, when you earn it any deer can be a "trophy". Michigan needs to take a better look at it's management practices, the northern third of the state doesn't have the deer numbers the the farm coutry "down state" has. We don't seem to be concerned about the quality of the herd as much as we are concerned with selling licenses, youth senior citizen or otherwise.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote