New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Drop Camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone suggest an outfitter to provide a decent drop camp in Colorado? A couple young friends have the urge to do a semi do it yourself hunt. They are experienced whitetail hunters but I'm trying to explain an elk hunt is totally different. Thanks!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO a drop camp is taking a big chance on getting put in an area that is marginal at best when the outfitter is doing fully guided, expensive hunts as his main livelihood. The only way I would pay for a drop camp is if I had researched an area and the guy agreed to drop me in an area I had chosen. That way if the hunt is not successful the only one to blame is yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun, I agree with you but these young men are enthused but have limited resourses. I suggested this to enable them to go and enjoy the mountains. They will have a great time just based on their enthusiasm and energy.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion, but the biggest problem they may face is that at this time of year it may be difficult if not impossible to find anyone with openings even for drop camps. Best of Luck to them if they find something.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plan is for a 2014 hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should be able to put something together in that case.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're not talking until 2014, have them go on a few good hunting websites and start asking for some help as to where they might go and who they might get to take them in and out. With as much time as they have to get something going they should be able to do what you're talking about. I don't hunt CO at all, so I can't help on the whereabouts or who to go with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need names of good outfitters. I gave them all the typical web sites and the books I had. I'm looking for positive experiences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are probably very few, if any, on this particular website that have done a drop camp style DIY hunt. Those friends of yours will need to do some homework themselves if they're so gung ho to go out hunting. That's a big part of the fun that most of us have before the chosen hunt even transpires. They have plenty of time if we're talking 2014 to get on websites and ask questions, to google what they're looking for, etc. Just start them out by telling them to google "drop camp hunting" and go from there. Just doing that one google will get them hundreds of links to click on for places to look at in all the western states.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun I asked for help not a lecture. Whether I help two young hunters or not is none of your business. I am getting sick of this crap on AR. I offered to help since I've done a few elk hunts. Thats all. If you have nothing creative to offer go pester someone else!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell them to call up Fish and Game in several States.Have them speak with Wildlife Biologists .Most are pretty friendly and willing to share info on good areas to hunt.If they are in good shape ,they could probably rent horses and equipment and go into suggested areas on their own.They have plenty of time to put this hunt together.Good luck,OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good outfitters don't mess with drop camps because they don't need to. You will likely be dealing with new or part time outfitters that have to do drop camps to survive. Good luck, you will need it.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I have received leads on a couple outfitters who offer drop camps that have been around for a while. One in particular looks very good. The young men are in contact with wildlife people as we speak and doing their homework. I don't like a drop camp either but it beats staying in town in a motel and trying to drive muddy roads in an unsuitable vehicle. I told them to go to a zoo and look at an elk on the hoof and figure how they are going to get that thing out without horses at 10,000 feet. Forty years ago I would probably be doing the same thing. Thanks to all for their help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Topgun I asked for help not a lecture. Whether I help two young hunters or not is none of your business. I am getting sick of this crap on AR. I offered to help since I've done a few elk hunts. Thats all. If you have nothing creative to offer go pester someone else!

I, and everyone else, were just trying to help you get what you want for them, but IMHO they should at least do a little bit of the homework themselves. Would you like us to tell them the coordinates of a good tree to sit behind when they get out there too for Cripes sake! I offered information just like everyone else did and if you haven't noticed NOBODY has come up with a good outfitter's name for you yet! If I knew one I would have offered it up just like I help scads of people looking for help on hunts on numerous websites. You're the first to make that kind of comment to someone offering help and I hope you're the last! Geez Louise, try to give a few "how to" tidbits to get them going and you get shit on!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun: I have received some very good information via PM from people who don't wish to be subjected to posts from idiots. Please re-read my original post. All I asked for was the name of reputable outfitters offering drop camps. I don't seem to remember asking for more than that. Please feel free to play got you last via the keyboard but I am done with you!
I had a teacher who told me a man who resorts to cussing shows a lack of command of proper English.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, as you won't get any more attempts from me to help you or your friends and that's all I was attempting to do! FYI, while you were making your last wiseacre comments about idiots I was removing the couple of offensive words I had posted since there was no reason to use them just because I was mad. Not knowing you, how in the heck did I know you know everything except the name of a good drop camp outfitter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had a teacher who told me a man who resorts to cussing shows a lack of command of proper English.

That's bullshit! Usually people that say shit like that have no command of cussing nor English.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots to be said for this place, a person comes on, clearly asks a simple question and gets tarred and feathered. Got to love it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasbemann: Obviously you didn't see the post pre editing I was talking about. And I wonder why everyone with any valuable input is PMing me not feeding the trolls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Murphy in Durango Co. is a highly recommended outfitter. My friend hunted with him for over twenty years consecutively and has nothing but praise for his whole operation. His company name is: T- Bar M outfitters. Phone 970 259 5469. He offers drop camps.
There is usually three options with most drop camps.

1. A Chef and fully supplied camp but you hunt on your own. Bring personal gear and sleeping bag. Most expensive option.
2. Supplied camp usually tent ,cots stove firewood etc... Bring your own food. Basically you do all the chores.
3. The spartan type. You bring all your gear. You are provided a horse ride into a base camp. After the hunt they also pack out your game. You can bring as much gear as you want. Just realize the more gear equates to more horses/ wranglers and more costs.
They all charge differently with no standard but expect to pay $1200-2500 depending on the quality of game and access difficulty.
Ask for references and actually talk to them. Especially the unsuccessful hunters.
I was burned once a few years ago in Oregon. I was packed in solo into the Eagle Cap Wilderness a stunningly beautiful country. But I did not sight a single doe. Unless you specifically tell them where your destination objective is from your own research. You do expect to be put in an area with descent game. Maybe not as good as there fully paid guided hunts. Hopefully in the future when able you can spoil yourself on a guided hunt and recommend others. I am sure there are AR members with far more experience than I, that will chime in with some leads. Best of luck to you
Charles

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MLFGUNS: Thanks for that lead. I will pass it on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 1993 I went on my first elk hunt before I joined the Army and we did a drop camp. IMO it's a great way to get away from the crowd and into good hunting. Camp was two frame tents and a shitter. We did our own cooking and they left a SAT phone w/ us in case of emergency. And the BIGGEST bonus was they packed out 5 bull elk for us on their horses that our party of 7 shot...not too bad for a few deer hunters from WI. As I was only 21 years old I don't remember the business, but I know we were packed into the Mt Zirkel wilderness area NW of Steamboat Springs about 6 or 7 miles and it was a great hunt and a great time.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
In 1993 I went on my first elk hunt before I joined the Army and we did a drop camp. IMO it's a great way to get away from the crowd and into good hunting. Camp was two frame tents and a shitter. We did our own cooking and they left a SAT phone w/ us in case of emergency. And the BIGGEST bonus was they packed out 5 bull elk for us on their horses that our party of 7 shot...not too bad for a few deer hunters from WI. As I was only 21 years old I don't remember the business, but I know we were packed into the Mt Zirkel wilderness area NW of Steamboat Springs about 6 or 7 miles and it was a great hunt and a great time.

Matt:

You guys did extremely well; you smoked that hunt like a cheap cigar.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my two young friends from church heeded the warnings and have decided to do a guided hunt. I am pleased with that decision. However, I don't know if I want to ask for recommendations again. You know "one time shame on you but two times shame on me"!!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have them check with the folks that were recommended to you. They all or most of them probably offer fully guided hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw - come on - don't stop now - go ahead and ask. popcorn

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if I want to ask for recommendations again. You know "one time shame on you but two times shame on me"!!! Big Grin

quote:

Man, LJS. Can I ever commiserate with you on these quotes. Sorry I can't contribute a name of a reputable guide for your friends. I liked Crazyhorse's recommendation though.