THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wives/Girlfriends........Does yours complain?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wives/Girlfriends........Does yours complain?
 Login/Join

<Daethorn>
posted
I hope my girlfriend turns out like most of your wives. She was scared of guns ( because of an ex-boyfriend who pointed one at her) but I managed to break her of that. She now hunts with me (she has not killed anything yet) and loves to shoot. I even lost my favorite semi shotgun to her. She also loves to fish and go camping. Now if I can just talk her into the o/u I need to replace the semi she took.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you guys must have something wrong with your wives and girlfriends because they can't all be perfect.

My girlfriend is, however. I went on my first and only elk hunt shortly after we started dating, and when I got back she asked a ton of questions about field dressing (and still liked the meat more than I did).

I gave her a fly rod for her birthday last year and she loved it. She gave me a Filson Waterfowl sweater for Christmas this year and I gave her shotgun lessons (where she consistently outshoots me, the difference there is between training, and RE-training).

Her birthday's in 2 weeks and I still don't know how I'm going to top myself.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Hoghead>
posted
I have a great wife!! She hunts and fishes with me and has done so ever since we started going together. The time spent in the field together is the best time we spend together all year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey hoghead,which railroad do you work for.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My practice wife (the first one) complained. She got traded in. Got me a low-maintenance version now. She knows what happens if she complains about my hunting and gun hobby. So she has bit her tongue and things have been smooth for over 20 years.

(Now there was that time I come home from a SCI Banquet, obviously in my cups, and announced that I was going to Australia to shoot donkeys!...but that was an exception.)

This late model version wife actually has a pretty good handle on the situation. She says "As long as he isn't hunting something blond and younger than me...I don't care". When I stop looking at gun magazines and planning hunting trips, then she will probably start worrying.

Actually, I finally talked her into going to Africa with me a couple years ago. She's a non-hunting, non-camping type. To convince her to accompany me on the next trip, I had to bring back video tape of the guest house bathroom. Once she saw the level of accomadations she agreed to go. Once there for a couple days she decided to become a "hunter" and took her first two trophies (clean one shot kills I might add). Now she has her own rifle, knows the significance of a 54"+ kudu, and can discuss the performance characteristics of a Nosler Partition bullet!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Rick3foxes,

Any girl that'll sit and watch Saeed's videos with you is a definate keeper! Those are real hunting videos, and a good way to seperate the wheat from the chaff. My girlfriend still prefers Home and Garden Television, but I am working on it.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife of 24 years loves elk meat,grouse, pheasant and some cuts of deer meat. She does let me butcher it in the kitchen but doesn't help with that task. She doesn't tolerate my hunting trips she encourages them. She was the one who insisted my daughter and I go to Africa this summer. She knows of all the money I have spent on actions, tooling, lathes, milling machines, and stock wood in recent years and always agrees with a smile. She puts up with the family room being littered with guns, tools and often walnut shavings and dust. Her only vice is that I take her up to our cabin on Lake Chelan each year for a week to unwind. She ends up cooking for us and reading while the kids and I fish or, without phones, radio and tv, or electricity for that matter.

Now my girl friend is another matter. Seriously I could not have it any better.

Canuck, that lady driving the pickup probably got it in a divorce.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, that comment about the "woman must of got the pickup in the divorce" is horse pucky; there's lots of women who like pickups and have their own. No cars in this family. Hubby has his P/U and I have mine (and mine's BIGGER!)
Second,someone said that this is something you should get straight way back at the beginning of the relationship. I agree. One of our very first dates was going target shooting. That was a lot of guns and critters ago.
I sure hope all you guys who have considerate wives are also considerate of them. This is definitely a 2-way street. But if you're a hunter and want to spend a LOT of time and money doing that, then you better consider that along with your other romantic needs. Money and time are serious topics in the marriage discussion, and hunting can take a fair amount of both.
Hubby and I are lucky. We have an incredible amount of fun hunting, camping, fishing, and being outdoors in general. Now, if we could just find the left-handed rifles we want, we'd give each other a rifle for our birthdays!

Posts: 37 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 11 November 2000Reply With Quote
<jeremy w>
posted
I can't talk to chicks that hate guns for 15 minutes let alone live with them!

Oh yeah, you think hunting is bad try finding one that will allow venomous reptiles in the house. hehe

Don't ever let anybody mess with your hobby. Especially a woman.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANNEK

I stand corrected, but I did say "probably", so I left myself some leeway.

I did get a chuckle out of your answer though.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Horses are good for shooting (in both senses!) but the rules are different. My wife cleans her saddle on the kitchen table whereas I'm banished to my study when I clean my rifle.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoghead:
I have a great wife!! She hunts and fishes with me and has done so ever since we started going together. The time spent in the field together is the best time we spend together all year.

I'm sorry, but my hunting, fishing and shooting are male bonding activities. My wife and I have things we do together, and we have things we do with our friends.

My wife looks better in stockings than waders!

One of my best friends' wife HATES my guts for telling her she WAS NOT going out on our annual dove opener weekend with the boys.

Call me a pig. I'm used to it.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
Note to the gentleman who stated "woman must of got the pickup in the divorce". Actually my ex got to keep the pickup I bought him prior to our divorce. There are plenty of women out there who own and have purchased on their own, pickup trucks, I have owned 4 to date ( paid for by me ) and personally prefer them to most other types of vehicles, although an Isuzu Trooper is looking pretty good to me right now.

As for the train of thought that a man who hunts must plant it firmly in his partner's head before the relationship takes off or else, that's not necessarily true in all cases. Though the males members of my family were all hunters and/or fishermen, I can't honestly say when my boyfriend told me about his great passion for hunting that I was more than thrilled, nor can I say I have been more than pleasant in the past about his time away from me during his hunting weekends. But recently he began to share his knowledge and experiences re: hunting with me which has led me to a new found respect and interest in the sport. He encourages me to ask questions and learn by visitng sites such as this and reading materials on the subject.

Some women/partners/wives can come to a new way of thinking re: the hunters in their lives, if encouraged to learn and experience it all. Though I will probably never make much of a hunter persay I look forward to my first hunt, and who knows ? the prospect of shooting as a sport does appeal to me.

I know my hunter is a keeper !

Just my thoughts.

Lynn D

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The opposite sex putting a damper on your outdoor excursions. There are no options, period!

My X-WIFE made me choose.(her/hunting)

I did the same thing Canuck did by reminding my current wife(in a nice way)about why I have an X-wife.
I hunt as often as I need too. And with my wife allowing that, I stay out of the bars and don't chase skirts. Anything she needs, she will get.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote