THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wives/Girlfriends........Does yours complain?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wives/Girlfriends........Does yours complain?
 Login/Join

<Yukon257>
posted
Talking to a buddy yesterday about hunting and apparently he got a WARNING that he would not be hunting too much this year as his wife had some quality time scheduled for the upcoming year.
He then commented that it must be nice for me to be single as I could spend my time doing whatever I want.
Have you ever heard that saying that one should buy all his toys before he gets married?
Just wondering what your wives/girlfriends think about hunting all the time, spending too much money on guns, or just basically neglecting all the household duties?
A quick story. One of my buddies fathers and I were talking once and he's the one who told me about buying all the toys, because when I got a girlfriend that would all stop. I told him that I would spend my money on what I wanted and go hunting/fishing whenever I wanted.
MAN, WAS HE EVER RIGHT!!!!!
$100 dinners, weekend trips, and endless complaining that I was either working or out hunting/shooting. I WAS WHIPPED!!
To make a long story short, I was working up on the Dempster Highway, bagged my first moose, and spent 13 hours backpacking it back to the truck.
Get home and not much room in my freezer, so store it at the girlfriends, right?
I was then sent to the NWT for 6 weeks, and the girlfriends Jeep breaks down. I tell her to use my truck. Truck breaks down,I tell her to take it in and get fixed. Pay for the repair bill over the phone, she picks truck up along with receipt with my Visa # on it.
I get home, open the mail and see this strange $1400 charge on the CC.Find out soon to be ex-girlfriend got her Jeep fixed and I paid for it.
Girlfriend then breaks up with me and here's the kicker, remember that moose I shot that was in her freezer. SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT BACK!!!!
She also gave me back 1 of my dress shoes, 1 of my shirts back, and my VCR but not the remote control. THIS IS ONE MEAN WOMAN!!

So now its 2 years later and all my buddies think this hilarious.

Maybe 1 day I'll be putting the stalk on a big moose and come upon a lady hunter who's stalking the same moose. Our eyes meet and ........( insert Penthouse forum letter here).

Just wondering if anybody had any similiar experiences they want to share.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My X took my elk and even the ice cube trays!!! Now what kind of a sick B**** takes ice cube trays?

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
ALL of my EX-girlfriends used to complain about how much time I spend hunting, shooting, scouting etc. Every now and then I have to remind the current one of that trend! (thankfully not too often this time)

Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry for laughing at your expense, but it was funny.

My best advice is to find a woman that drives a pick-up truck. Not fool proof, but a good starting point.

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 03-04-2002).]

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
I have a great wife, but she hates me being gone hunting! I partially understand being alot of work with the kids. She lets me hang up my trophys though when I am lucky enough to get to go. Can't live with them and can't live without them. Good shooting!

<magnarps>
posted
I though this would never come up.

My wife is terrified of guns. Everytime I have been at the range I'll have to put my rifle away at once. She think it may go off by itself.
When I buy myself a new rifle I have to sneak it in when she is out so I don't get "How much did that cost?" or the stupidest question of all "Do you really need another rifle". YES, I REALLY NEED ANOTHER RIFLE.

Magnar

<heavy varmint>
posted
Another thing to concider is a planned pregnancy, Make sure the "born on date" doesn't fall at the same time as a favorite game season, It is forbidden to miss a childs birthday party!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've run into the same problems that many of you have shared above. However, I must relate that my cousin married a woman who enjoys hunting and shooting even more than he does. She makes more than he does and buys more firearms/year than he does so there are no arguments over gun purchases -unless it's on his part. I should also add that his wife is pretty hot!

It's hard to believe, but they do exist!

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to report that my wife may be the best female in the entire universe.

She never complains when I buy new guns, she buys ME new guns (for this past Christmas I got a Rem. 7600 carbine in 35 Rem., and a 45 Redhawk; the Christmas before that brought a 7-08 Mtn. Rifle and 45 Blackhawk) and other toys (a John Deere 955 4wd diesel tractor for my last birthday).

She makes many $$$ working a regular job of her own during the day, and at my company nights and weekends, and doesn't question where it's spent. Time spent reloading or shooting/hunting is never an issue.

She's an excellent shot, as most women are, and enjoys shooting, but not hunting because she gets cold (does that count against her?).

Back when I played a LOT of golf, she never complained about that, either.

It's been 26 years, and I'm still wondering. I don't know, maybe she's one of those Stepford wives. Whatever, I'm keeping her.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Heavy Varmint, if the kid is in camp, you don't miss his birthday, do you?

As far as spending too much time shooting, all you have to do is say ", you're right, dear. I'll go have some beer with the guys instead."

In my world, first and last week of elk season are on the calender, as is the first week of Chuckar season, deer season, and Pheasant season. And I need a new gun for yotes this year. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife occasionally complains, but as long as she gets some return, it's never too loud. She usually goes to Texas to see the grandkids when I go west to hunt elk for a couple of weeks. Seems to keep her happy. We go down together to see the kids during Christmas, which is conveniently during Texas deer season. I have bought five rifles in the last month and a half, I wonder what that's going to cost me?

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am apparently one of the luckier posters here! My Wife is VERY liberal when it comes to my gun addiction and my hunting trips. She knows that August to December is out of bounds.

I have several friends whose spouses hate guns, hate hunting, its a big strain on the relationship,etc. I have never figured out why they stay with eachother. I'll be go to hell if I couldn't have my shooting and hunting hobbies. Though one of the wives I did get out shooting and now she actually enjoys it, with .22's anyway.

I feel for those of you with anti spouses.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
Yukon257:
the only time I really thought of divorce was ,when I was pregnant in the 8th month and my husband and his buddies refused to let me hunt red stags in Scotland with them .
My husband bought his most expensive rifle , because I encouraged him to do so and I paid several hunting trips for him to do him a favour . My advice : find a girl who is just as fond of hunting as you are .
Sure , there were times when I felt let down , staying at home with two very young kids , while he enjoyed hunting , but these times are over and now we are both tolerant enough to take turns with our hunting trips ,if no friend is available to supervise our kids .
I post this to point out , that there are women with a different point-of-view , too , one only has to find them !!!!!! Good luck !

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look into the guys who are always having trouble with their spouse over hunting and fishing,you'll find that most of them just don't have the balls to do what they want and tell her to live with it.It's not just hunting and fishing,that suffers it's every aspect of life that gets run by the bitch.
The real kicker is,you knew she was a possesive bitch going into the marriage,yet you still went along with it,that isn't shame on her,it's shame on you.
I've got a friend that I fish with on occasion and I have to use the word occasionally,because his old lady will seldom let him go. He gets to go,as long as she has something planned for herself,if not his ass gets to sit around the living room,because her fat ass doesn't have anyone else to hang out with.
Marriages like that aren't marriages,they're prison sentences.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
<<Hi Guys And Ladies, My wife has bought me two CZ rifles in the last two months and is going to pay John Ricks for a 450 Dakota on a CZ 550 mag action for my next birthday. Then a trip to Africa for my birthday in 2003. I hope to shoot my first buffalo on my 66th birthday. Of course this is my second wife. My first choice was not quite as good. Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have the best wife a hunter could hope for, and after 40 years of marriage, I have learned how to handle situations with as much care as a long stalk in the tundra of Alaska. I expressed to her my dire need for a new pair of camo hunting pants, and the closest and best place was the SCI show in Dallas this weekend. Knowing her thinking and her probable reply beforehand, I waited for the response. She immmediately surmised that she could also find shopping in Dallas, and said very sweetly, can I come along. I said of course dear, if you handle all the logistics of the trip. She leaped for the phone, now we have a hotel and very neat schedule that I don't have to worry one minute about. See you guy's in Dallas.

------------------

posted Hide Post
My first wife didn't like my spending my time and money on guns and hunting, but I was supposed to see the wisdom in 78 pairs of shoes and 56 handbags .

My NEW wife is 180� opposite. She hunts, buys me guns for my birthday or Christmas, and shoots lefthanded (just like me)!

I think I'll keep her!

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I am lucky. My wife helps fund my hunting trips to Africa.

On the other hand she seems to spend a lot of time buying handbags and running a horse.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Wapi-T>
posted
Every gun I buy has a corresponding cost in new furniture. She doesn't buy me guns, because I'm too picky . But I've got about all I want, anyway. Still holding out for that O/U shotgun and a custom Short Magnum. That'll also cost me a new sectional sofa and armoire, to be precise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you have some interesting posts here.
Gives a fellow reason to stop and ponder how lucky he is.

I have been pretty lucky. While my first wife gave me a little grief once in a while, she was pretty good about it all. And she did buy me a couple of guns as Christmas presents. She passed away unfortunately, she was a treasure.

However, I surely got lucky, I found another wonderfull woman and she REALLY indulges me in my shooting interests. I work a second job and she sees no reason why I should not spend that money on guns and ammo, etc.

She has bought me a couple of guns for presents and is happy as hell when I come home and tell her my dad and I just booked a $5000 dollar elk hunt.

I am sure I do not deserve such a woman, but I am sure glad I found her.

For you less fortunate guys, I feel for you.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
NEVER

My wife buys me guns and saves up the money for my hunting trips.

Way cool, huh?

------------------
The older I get the better I was.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend is not into guns or hunting, but does listen to me ramble about those subjects, evidence of which is the Pact Digital Powder Dispenser and Digital Scale she gave me for Christmas, which I did not ask for. She totally surprised me with that gift, and she is definitely a keeper in more ways than this...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a story for ya. I had this girlfriend in high school who had never been hunting. I took her on the dove hunt and she was ok with everything. I shot a couple birds, then I winged one. I went over to pick up the still alive bird and like I do with all wounded doves, I pop-ed its head off. Well I look over at her and there is dove blood all over her face. To top it all off she still dated me.

Anyway, the woman I did marry enjoys the hunt and has shot some nice bucks. It is fun to hunt, at times, with the wife. Heck my wife even had a "Dowery" of guns. And she is a hottie. I am spoiled.

One rule she does have is that all REFUND checks from unsuccessful hunt applications goes to her. Now that gets expensive!!

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend doesn't mind any of the hunting/fishing. She doesn't eat any of the game I get (more for me), and she won't hunt, but she likes to shoot and fish. She's not happy, though that I'm going to Newfoundland moose/bear hunting for a week and a half (y'know..can't reach me directly by phone), but she's way cool with everything else. We're going to Africa sometime in the future, I'll hunt and she'll photograph. I love it.

[This message has been edited by old4x4 (edited 03-05-2002).]

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Women are like young bird dogs in that the future lies in the training. When my wife and I were first going out I stated quite frankly that fron Sept to Jan. was hunting season. This is my passion in life and I did it before her and will after her if thats the way it goes. No games. That was 10years ago and many guns have come and gone as have 5 4WD trucks to haul the four German Shorthairs. I make it up to her as she has spring and summer and by the time fall comes she is ready for some quality time for herself. The house is filled with mounts,the kennel with hunting dogs (she does have a Rotweiller) and the safe full of guns. I'm a lucky man indeed.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to be a monday morning quarterback but that is some of the shit you need to get straight BEFORE you say "I DO". I told my wife I was a hunter and a fisherman and I was going hunting and fishing regardless of what she said. The only difference was that if she bitched about it, I wouldn't come back. If all the players know what the rules are before the game, there should be no need to holler foul after it begins.

magnarps, When we were first married, my wife was somewhat afraid of guns. I sent her (by herself) to a gun safety school. Once she became familar with the various weapons, she stopped being afraid. 'Course, now she has her own gun(s)and shoots enough to stay proficent with them altho she is still not a shooter nor hunter. My house is not a good one to break into if my wife is home alone.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
My wife has her moments- and I spend too much time doing what I choose to do... shooting, hunting, reloading, and fishing.
I would do more but don't have time! But, I have purchased a new Superblackhawk, a new Number 1, new reloading press, and about $500 bucks worth of accessories, all in the last 3 months. And then she goes and orders a new gun safe for me for my birthday! I guess she's not that bad after all.....

[This message has been edited by dr280 (edited 03-06-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was smart. My wife likes hunting and she is my main hunting partner. Thats way she cant say no. Plus, shes a taxidermist. When I shot my bear near valdez, we drug it back to the truck and brought it to camp. Got it on the ground. She grabbed a beer handed it to me and she grabbed a knife and started skinning. She also has more rifles than me.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
My wife has purchased for me over the years:

My M29 Smith,
a Ruger Bisley Vaquero,
a 686 Smith,
and my 1913 Luger.

She just put a 1903A1 on layaway for me, too.

She doesn't like handguns (says they recoil too much for her) but can almost outshoot me with my AR15.

And, her uncle sold me my bench/varmint/target gun, a custom .220 Swift built on a Sako action, 30" Hart barrel, McMillan stock, with a 3-12 Kahles scope.

(She shoots that one very well, also......

Now, she wants a deer hide or two next season.

DEFINITELY a keeper!!!!

(21 years and counting......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been marryed for 22 years. Geting it stright before your hook helps a whole. If a gal doesn't like guns or hunting before your married I would run for the hills. They are very hard to change and they tend to get worse after you say I do.
My wife never hunted before we went to gather shot her first deer when we where dateing. Shot her first bow deer 2nd year of marriage. Is a great shot knows hunting season is mine. Overall a veryfine wife.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
My wife's only hunting-related complaint was that our Lab didn't get to hunt enough last year.

I think I'll keep her!

one of us
posted Hide Post
On the flip side to my first post I am getting married this July to a wonderful lady!
Unlike my first one she is very supportive and understanding of my habit. I was gone from August to February guiding we saw each other very little and she held up to it just fine. Would she of preferred to of had me around a bit more sure -but she did get thru it ok and is willing to let me take off again this year.
She's also taken a couple of elk and has done really well target shooting with me. I'll brag a bit here but the first time I ahd her out she used my little Mauser 270 with Premier dots in it to shatter rocks at 600 and 700 yards.
So I feel great about her and also feel like one of the truly lucky ones.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<303hunter>
posted
Marry a farm girl! They are industrious, great with little ones (kids and animals), thrifty, sexy, understand about hunting and fishing, and their Fathers OWN ALL THE LAND!

<Paladin>
posted
It was a very long time ago, but even then the society was full of airheads. So, I tested the new girlfriend by suggesting a walk in the country. When we arrived, I reached into the back seat, flipped over a cloth, and hauled out an old shotgun, meanwhile watching her very closely.

Her expression was one of interest: this was something new. I explained I'd just bought the gun and wanted to test it. So, we each shot it. I put it back and we went for a walk.

Over 20 years and three kids later, we were moving. Time to clean out her desk. As gobs of old pens and other desk-trash were being junked, a faded old Peters "Victor" 16 ga. empty case rolled out. I held it up. "Oh," she said, grabbing it and tossing it into the trash, "I've got you, I don't need it anymore." She'd saved the fired case from that walk in the country.

She's a good sort, very capable with my old DCM army carbine, and a credible pistol shot. She doesn't have much interest in going out shooting, being too busy otherwise, but the daughter insists on going whenever possible and deer-hunts with me. No, there never is a complaint about a gun, unless one falls over on her foot. Then it's less of a protest than a desire to be reassured the gun wasn't damaged and that everything's okay.

A woman who is an airhead will continue to be an airhead and will be miserable to have around. It pays to study the candidates closely and test them for a while before getting serious. The smart woman wants a real man, and real men shoot and hunt. It's the way the species was designed --for survival both of the individual and his family. Works. God knew what He was doing.

Paladin

<Albertahunter>
posted
Guys,
I have to admit I have it pretty good!My wife of 6 years is great.When she didn't hunt she either came with me or cut me a pile of slack about my absence.She also appretiates a full freezer.Last year when she started complaining about how quickly the deer garlic sausage ran out,I told her to come out and shoot her own deer.She replies"I might if I had my own rifle."I promptly bought her a 99 C in 308.The afternoon of her first day out,she shot her first buck!Recently she informs me she wants an elk or a moose this year.Lets hear it for hunting partners you can share your bed with.

Yours in the outdoors
ABH

<allen day>
posted
My wife knew what she was getting into with me long before we ever got married. It didn't hurt anything that her dad and her brother were both life-long hunters, nor did it hurt that she spent a good many years living in a farm and ranch community where hunting is a time-honored way of life.

She's also a very consistent and honest life-partner who I can trust with anything. Our relationship has been tempered by fire, and she's the most supportive partner I could ever ask for. She's one of those rare, strong, intellectual individuals who is secure in herself and in her life, and she's out to help build dreams - not destroy them. I am humbled by her strength and integrity, and I'm very lucky to be married to her.

AD

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
My Honey is the absolute best..

No complaints at all about what or how much I buy.. No complaints about my hunting excursions..

as long as...[/i
She gets her two weeks at the beach... out to dinner somewhere at least once a month... a nice piece of jewlrey or other significant gift for Christmas, birthdays, and don't dare forget Valentines day. Forget that day and you might as well just shoot yourself.

It kinda puts a ring of truth to that old joke........
why do most men die before their wives?
[I]BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!!

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Yukon,
I guess you can count me as one of "the lucky ones". My wife supports my hunting 100 percent. However, since I didn't marry her until I was thirty years old I had already started a pretty good collection of mounts. She realized what she was getting into! How many girls do you know that would welcome a half-body Muskox into their home as one of the first pieces of furniture?
BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend was walking on a San Francisco street, and a homeless guy walked up and punched her in the face for no reason, and got away with it.

Needless to say, she supports my handgun and rifle habit, and, wants to practice shooting with me, more often.

It's going to get real intresting, when concealed weapon permits are brought to the local police chief, one of her clients, and, her partners boss...

gs

[This message has been edited by Socrates (edited 03-05-2002).]

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend was walking on a San Francisco street, and a homeless guy walked up and punched her in the face for no reason, and got away with it.

Needless to say, she supports my handgun and rifle habit, and, wants to practice shooting with me, more often.

It's going to get real intresting, when concealed weapon permits are brought to the local police chief, one of her clients, and, her partners boss...

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife saw me carrying a big box into the house last night, with the word WINCHESTER written all over it. (.375H&H)

"Whats that?"

"Nuttin..." :-)

(She knows I was talking about a big rifle for the Africa trip in June)

Then she says, "Is that a WEELYBOP gun?".

(Referring to the video of Ben shooting the T-Rex.)

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote