New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triple gun case
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question but...
the son and I are going on a NWT moose, dall sheep hunt next year and are thinking of bringing three rifle. one for each of us and a back up.
Does anyone have a three scoped rifle travel gun case that they would/could recommend?
Thank you in advance for your help.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I have an Americase 3-gun case. All aluminum, very well built. But it’s heavy as hell, 23 pounds IIRC.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuff Pak room for 3 guns and more

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check first: Some airlines prohibit more than two rifles in a case. Can't see the logic for this, but it is what it is.

Besides, you'll likely exceed the 22K/50lb weight limit and will be charged extra for a three-gun case.

It is probably a better bet for each of you to use one of your (likely) two free checked bag allowance for a gun case (one with two guns and one with one gun). The lighter case can also contain whatever other "stuff" you might need to take, including articles of clothing, thus allowing you to fit everything into four checked bags.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
+1 for Tuff Pak

You can fit 3 rifles, plus a lot of gear, and still be under 50 pounds.

I have had one for a few years. I can't see ever going back to a standard type case.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If two of you are going and taking two rifles there is your solution to back up rifles right there.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1075 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:
If two of you are going and taking two rifles there is your solution to back up rifles right there.

That's what my son in law and I do. We shoot each others gun, to make sure where we are hitting the about the same spot. I shoot right handed and he's a lefty.

Posts: 327 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In all my years of travel, I carried 3 rifles on one occasion, never again, finally got down to one and never changed much, other than I took a double and a bolt gun on occasions to Tanzania just because..

I suggest to all, go as light as you can..for a better hunt..I used a tuff pack and a small suit case, especially if a charter flight was involved..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Ray, I too have taken (3) rifles on safari, but no more. The hassle & weight is incredible.

My rule for myself is:

1) PG safari-a Medium & Small bore.

2) DG safari-a Large & Medium bore.

I never trust just one rifle, as they occasionally (rarely, but I’ve experienced it) go down, and then I have a backup.

If one must take only (1) rifle, for me, it would be either a 375 H&H, or a 9.3x62. I like 300 gr. SAF in my 9.3.

My favorite PG safari battery is a 375 H&H and a 30-06. (300 gr. & 200 gr. respectively).

My favorite DG safari battery is a 404 Jeffery and a 9.3x62. (430 gr. & 300 gr. respectively).

YMMV

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
In all my years of travel, I carried 3 rifles on one occasion, never again, finally got down to one and never changed much, other than I took a double and a bolt gun on occasions to Tanzania just because..

I suggest to all, go as light as you can..for a better hunt..I used a tuff pack and a small suit case, especially if a charter flight was involved..

What Ray said....

Posts: 10218 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote