New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here ever hunted Cape Buffalo here in the US? I know there are a number of places that are breeding them here but wonder if any hunting is being done? Lawdog
Roll Eyes

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
An excellent question. I've wondered the same thing. Seems like you can get lots of African animals in the US, if you go to the right place.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, it is not legal to hunt Cape Buffalo in the US. Water Buffalo ... yes, but not the Cape Buffalo.

Bongo, Piere David Deer, Hog Deer, Zebra, Sable, Reindeer ... yes. Cape Buffalo ... no.

Texas specifically has regulations against hunting dangerous game (Lion, Tiger, Leopard, Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino). Apparently they do not view the Water Bufalo as dangerous. Some would beg to differ.

On the other hand, you can shoot a Mountain Lion in any number you want day or night.

I love Texas.

I saw a Cape Buffalo in a drive throuh park in Texas. My jaw hit the floor. I could not believe it. I am sure he was castrated.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I would personally want to hunt a cape buffalo outside of Africa - it just wouldn't be the same. I'd sure like to see some in person before going all the way there to hunt them. You know, give them a good looking over, mentally plan shot angles, etc. That would help me much more than pictures in books.

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I know of exactly ONE Cape buffalo taken in the U.S. It was taken in Texas 10 years or so ago. The guide I hunted with had photos of his client and the buff.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who would want to shoot a Cape buffalo in the US?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering because I saw this ad at http://www.highadventureranch.com/african.html
and the African game they state that is available is as follows;

Barbary Sheep
Cape Buffalo
Sitatunga
Brindled Gnu
Eland
Blesbok Antelope
Gemsbok
Biesa Oryx
White Tailed Gnu
Addax Antelope
Springbuck
Thompson Gazelle
Scimitar Horned Oryx
Impala
Grant's Gazelle
Kudu
Grant's Zebra
Sable Antelope
Dama Gazelle
Waterbuck
Nilgai (Blue Bull)

Seems Like a good selection of game and with Cape Buffalo thrown in maybe it would
be worth checking out if one can't afford a trip to Africa. Lawdog
Smiler

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
You beat me to it Lawdog. I was just going to post that same site. Evidently, at least one state doesn't have dangerous game laws - although I've heard that waterbuck can be ornery too! I wonder if anyone has ever taken a buff from this ranch?

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
shooting a cape outside of the Sealous,or some such wilderness would be like shooting your dall ram in Kansas.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, Aoudad Sheep on a game ranch can be as tough to take as a Dall Sheep in the mountains of Alaska.
roflmao

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote