New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifled shotgun and sabot slugs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to upgrade my NY arsenal with a rifled barrel for one of my shotguns. Does anyone have any strong feeling about which type of slugs are best for deer? At $2.00 each I would be willing to benefit from others experience.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If I may make a suggestion, but check out a bolt action slug gun. They really aren't much more than a rifled barrel and in some cases can cost less and then you get an entire gun, and a good hunting platform.

Copper solids are a good premium slug, had one buddy use lightfields and have good experiences, another used them and didn't have such great accuracy. So again it might boil down to what your gun prefers.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lightfield seems to work well in Browning and Mossberg. My Hasting's Paradox barrel recommends Federal or Winchester Supreme. It's too new; haven't tried them yet. I'm getting ready for turkey season; #5 shot, not sabots.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote