Notify
Tools

Best way to transport firearms?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Hello everyone,

Wasn't sure where to post my question, so please understand if this isn't the right place.

Here's what I'm wondering:

I'll be flying into Jackson Hole this fall for an Elk trip, and am a little apprehensive about baggage handlers throwing around my rifle. I'll be changing carriers in Denver. What advice would you give as to what sort of case I should purchase?

I've also heard of rifles "disappearing" en-route. Is there any correlation between buying a "top-end" case/attracting more attention?

Lastly, as an alternative, would it be worth the time/hassle just to mail or ups my rifle to the guy I'll be hunting with (one of my good friends)?

Thanks for all your help!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have been to Jackson Hole twice with rifle in a large Kalispel aluminum case. Case is pretty obvious. Flights were through Salt Lake City if I remember correctly.

They'll have you pick up guns at the passenger counter rather than at baggage pickup. Had to show ID to match the luggage tag.

No problems.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just get a good secure case and don't worry about it. Or buy a tuff pak. Keep in mind that they will treat your case worse than a gorilla. You can't legally ship your rifle to a friend without going through an ffl. You can ship it to yourself though.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
That time of year, about half the people coming off the plane will have either a bow case or a rifle case....

Usually, there's so much camo being worn at baggage claim, you think you're in the woods already.

All in all, I think I'd put my money on the baggage handlers rather than United Parcel Smashers..... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
All in all, I think I'd put my money on the baggage handlers rather than United Parcel Smashers..... JMO, Dutch.

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Thanks for the advice, fellas!

Any other suggestions?

friar

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
I can not say enough good things about the Tuffpak. You will be able to fit in 2 rifles in soft cases, a fly rod, several pairs of pants, and much more. They are nearly impossible to smash. Plus, being able to wheel the case around the airport, parking lot, etc.

If you check the africa forums, you will see that is what most recommend there.

I purchased one last fall for a bear hunt in Canada. Everything came through with out a scratch. Both rifles were still holding zero on both ends of the trip.

It cleared the airlines security and TSA with no problems. Can't say the same for my other luggage which had the contents spread out on tables in the airport. When they couldn't repack it, I offered to help and was warned that if I took 1 more step I would be arrested for violating federal law. Geesh! Roll Eyes

On the trip back, about 1/3 of the plane were hunters returning from bear or caribou hunts. Several asked about the case and wanted to know where to buy one. This was at the airport in Canada. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have a pelican case that works great. I traveled through San Francisco last year, two rifles and ammo in the case, had no problems at all. Butte, Montana, they didn't even seem to care.

I'm kind of curious though, I've got mixed opinions on the ammo. I put mine in the container and had no problems. Although I've also heard it must be in a locked side case inside your regular suitcase. Whats the correct way to do this?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can now pack ammo in your rifle case.

I usually pack mine in plastic MTM boxes and put them in a bag.

I have flown probably 100 times with guns and the only problem I ever had was a rifle not making it back from a trip to Africa; I stopped in Zurich for business on my way home; Ms AZ Writer had business in London and we met in Amsterdam. Neither of our bags made it on the flight to Detroit, including my guns. But they all made it home. Guns are a pretty touchy subject these days, and they get special attention.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I'm kind of curious though, I've got mixed opinions on the ammo. I put mine in the container and had no problems. Although I've also heard it must be in a locked side case inside your regular suitcase. Whats the correct way to do this?

The reason you get mixed opinions is because it is up to the individual airlines as to how ammo is transported.

Here is a link to a post I did Rules Regarding Traveling with Firearms

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry and all!

friar

one of us
posted Hide Post
i had a conversation with a county sheriff last week an he told me then showed me in his book that in iowa i have to get a concealed carry permit to haul my handgun to the range lawfully. can't just put it in my trunk in a handgun case anymore.... that just don't seem right ..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tuffpak, and agree they are great. Holland & Holland, EJ Churchill, and David McKay Brown, among others, all use them for transport to their gunshows. A standard Tuffpak will hold six shotguns packed properly in soft cases.

Sometimes if I take only one rifle I put it in a long Americase, and put all of my clothing in a carry-on bag.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a double rifle aluminun case from Cabela's. So far it has treated me well.

How many of you guys have trouble with scopes being off center after the trip?

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monticello:
I use a double rifle aluminun case from Cabela's. So far it has treated me well.

How many of you guys have trouble with scopes being off center after the trip?

I can only recall one being off, and it wouldn't have been enough to miss until you got out to 300 yards or so.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and this topic is a good opportunity for me to wet my feet.
When I travel with my firearms I used a hard shell case for golf clubs, you can package several guns and some other gear in it , it is lockable and the good thing is that no one suspects that there are guns stored in it.