New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Bear Hunts?
 Login/Join

<Crash>
posted
I've been trying to get information on bear hunting in alaska. The coastal hunts where you operate from a yacht look interesting. But what I don't understand is why black bear hunts are $4000 and week and brown bear hunts are $12000 for 2 weeks? What is added on brown bear hunts that cost an extra $4000.

Another hunt I looked at was a combo hunt which include black bear, bou and something else. It stated for for an extra $6000 "Trophy Fee" you could also get a Grizly. The state tag is about $500 and I don't know if it is included. However, who gets the trophy fee, and why? Is "Game Ranching" an Alaskan industry like in Africa?

Thanks for your replies!

Crash

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I've been trying to get information on bear hunting in alaska. The coastal hunts where you operate from a yacht look interesting. But what I don't understand is why black bear hunts are $4000 and week and brown bear hunts are $12000 for 2 weeks? What is added on brown bear hunts that cost an extra $4000.

Another hunt I looked at was a combo hunt which include black bear, bou and something else. It stated for for an extra $6000 "Trophy Fee" you could also get a Grizly. The state tag is about $500 and I don't know if it is included. However, who gets the trophy fee, and why? Is "Game Ranching" an Alaskan industry like in Africa?

Thanks for your replies!

Crash

Crash,

Brown bears are a much more desireable trophy, there is less of them, and hence the guides charge a premium.

That something else with the black bear and bou hunt is likely a moose.

I don't understand why someone would say "trophy fee", but perhaps it simply meant, for an additional $6k you can bag a grizzly. The guide is simply charging more for a different type of hunt.

There is no game ranching in Alaska, all game is wild, and guides are limited to what areas they can hunt.

Costs of operating in remote spots are extremely exspensive. There are no locals that will work for $5 a day and smile when you give them a pair of shoes for a tip. Alaska is an exspensive place to hunt, for residents and non residents.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I'd add a smidge,to Paul's comments.

A Guide is REQUIRED for Brown Bear and Grizzly. That is the only way a non-resident can harvest one,excepting those that have Family,within the second degree of kindred to act as their Guide.

For that reason,they can charge what they want. As mentioned prior,Alaska is very expensive to both live and Hunt in.

Brown Bear Hunts will never be cheap. If it interests you,I'd suggest taking the plunge,booking with a Guide of known excellence and Hunting hard.

I can't fathom the prices ever getting cheaper.................

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
What is added on brown bear hunts that cost an extra $4000.
Crash

A Brown Bear!

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Crash>
posted
OH, I get it! Econ 101, rrrrrrip!!

Thanks for the replies, I kind of thought that was the case.

Crash

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Crash --I know one of the most sucessful bear guides in the business. 7 for 7 in 2001... E-mail me if interested...MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crash,

Look up Gary Hull of Slammin' Salmon Outfitters. He may be able to hook you up with a Griz. for a bit more reassonable price than you have seen.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote