Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Spray failure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted
This if further proof that bear spray is a very poor substitute for a firearm in bear country.

https://youtu.be/tK609rbSBLs

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked his last statement bear spray doesn't always work but I it better than nothing.

OK. I guess when it works.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they like it and come back for more evidently.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One tough lucky guy.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
Go to his Facebook page and read his story. He had a pistol on him but deployed the spray first. She actually attacked him twice. Very much worth the read.

Todd

I think would have shot her a few times when she came back.

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
No one can deny this mans toughness and perseverance to walk out of 2 bear attacks and drive himself to the hospital. That is an amazing feat of self sufficiency that is rarely seen today.

But the fact remains that he got lucky and could have easily died.

Anyone who pulls out a can of bear spray when they have a gun at their disposal is taking a huge chance with their life as this story proves.

He should have emptied his handgun into that sow on the first charge.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Sometimes they like it and come back for more evidently.

We had a similar experience around here not that many years ago.

A fellow and his lady friend were out west of here camping on an ocean beach. The feller had a rifle and with him, but was unable to get it into action when they surprised a sow with cubs. Apparently the sow bowled him over, knocked the rifle out of his hands and proceeded to swat the guy around for a little while. the sow would walk off toward the cubs, the guy would figger she's done, and he'd start to crawl toward his rifle. Every time the sow would notice and come back and swat him around some more. Finally the sow got far enough away for the fellow to get to his rifle and I do believe he killed the sow as it was returning to rough him up some more.

I thought that usually a surprised bear would stomp a prowling man a few times and then boogie away with her cubs. Apparently this one didn't.

Posts: 9139 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From reading the account, it seems the bear was in a full-tilt charge before the spray was used.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
From reading the account, it seems the bear was in a full-tilt charge before the spray was used.

I don't think that should matter? It's an ANGRY Mamma Bear!!! I will TRUST my life in Bear country to a side arm.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree, that is one tough Montanan. For those of you that have pistols with accessory rails (for surefire lights, etc.), I think it would be real nice if someone made a bear spray that was no bigger than a surefire and mounted on that rail with an easy to reach button. Then you could draw your weapon, and have the spray ready in addition to your pistol. A Glock G10 with a rail would be sweet with this setup. Does someone already make something like that?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
someone made a bear spray that was no bigger than a surefire

Would not be more then a couple of small streams in a unit that size.

Full size canister are big units. As we saw here that that was not enough spray to stop a determined attack.

Let alone the small amount one would have in a small flash light size container.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I wonder if he actually hit the bear in the nose /eyes with the spray.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry both pepper spray and a .44 mag with very heavy loads. I'd like to think that I would use the bear spray, but maybe not. In reality, you're going to get one shot, maybe two if you're lucky before that bear shakes hands. No room for mistakes like any other dangerous game charge, right???

If his ears are laid back like an pissed off horse, then expect you know what to hit the fan.

The spookiest situation is where a bear comes out of the pucker brush and you absolutely no time to react, slap leather or unsheathe that can.

BACICALLY, NEVER TAKE CHILI PEPPER TO A GUN FIGHT.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I carry both too because they BOTH do work if you have time to use them and hit what your aiming at.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
I carry both too because they BOTH do work if you have time to use them and hit what your aiming at.

The spray didn't work this time.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

And the gun won't the next time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

And the gun won't the next time.

It is an interesting conversation on what constitutes a failure.

Does not deploying ones self defense item count as a failure.

A failure to me is when one deploys and actually uses that item and hits what he is aiming at. Then still gets mauled Then that item failed.

Beside getting mauled by a bear previously wounded bear.

Can you find a case where some one using a firearm and hitting a bear with their shot or shots before the bear made contact has been mauled.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
For goodness sakes, I'm not going to spend the time to search for that. If your so interested why don't you?

Fact is there are plenty of bears stopped and sometimes not with both spray and guns - just look them up!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For goodness sakes, I'm not going to spend the time to search for that. If your so interested why don't you?

I have and cannot find any. I thought with your vast knowledge of the subject you would know of one.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Oh I get it now!

Quote: from another thread.

"Now, now, you're taking on P-Dog, the self-acknowledged bear defense expert here on AccurateReloading".

bsflag

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
When Im in Bear country, I carry a rifle..Im not risking my life on spray..I have a wife, kids and grandkids, rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote