New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Unlimited Tag Sheep Units
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am contemplating going on a hunt in one of Montana's unlimited tag units for Bighorn Sheep. Have any of you guys done it? How was your experience? I cannot get anyone from Georgia (where I live) to go give this sort of thing a try. Is there any local that would like a hunting partner? I am willing to put in the hours on the mountain if it meant a shot at a legal ram.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done it twice. I believe you asked this Q on 24hr and I gave you a very short answer.

First off, I would not pay the out of state tag rate to do this hunt unless the cost is inconsequential to you. Success rates are seriously low. You are in competition with outfitters in those areas that know the drill and have done it for years. I do know of some locals that have been successful, but not on a backpack hunt. These locals had horses, base camps, spike camps, someone to watch and water the horses, keep bears out of camp, etc. Basically, they were self-outfitting.

If you plan to hunt the actual season dates, well, you'll probably get a 48hr hunt and an expencive tag to put into a scrap book along with some really great scenery photos, but that's about it. Many times the sheep limit is killed in the first 5 minutes of legal shooting hours on the first day by guys that have been up there for over a week watching a legal ram. Of course there are years when the legal rams are all in YNP and no one get one. Also, some years there are lots of people in one area of a unit and not some much somewhere else. You will have to be able to travel some really nasty ground for serious distances at high elevations and in one unit difficult public access issues.

The short version: Plan two weeks plus on site at elevation ready to go, at least one week before season to scout and sit on a ram. Another week, the season is usually a week or so, to hike around and hope one wanders into the area in case you didn't find one before.

Oh did I mention, this is super prime grizzly country?

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, What he said. Word for word...

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you buy a grizzly tag over the counter by chance?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Endangered,over populated,federally protected
non hunted species.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozultra,

I looked into this hunt 25 years ago when some of the guides were having some excellent results but even at that time it was as others have said and no kind of a slam dunk. It was a tough no a very tough hunt and required a significant investment. I can't see how it would be worthwhile for a non resident on a DIY hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I heard you go in a week or so before the opening day find a ram.

Then camp on him for the whole week and hopefully some one dosen't shoot him before you do on opening day.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Do not waste your money or time. The numbers are down, too many predators-wolves and griz and if you do shoot one, its a small ram that you will have to pack out about 15 miles. Try another area. patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say "small" ram, as long as it's a 3/4 curl, I would be happy!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oakman:
if you do shoot one, its a small ram that you will have to pack out about 15 miles. Try another area.

Which "other area" offers OTC tags and better hunting????????

Ozultra, you have got some great insights on this thread, but you have been given some interesting advice also....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBrown, have you had any experience in hunting in these units?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted area 300 (1999, and 2000)on the unlimited tag. I did it just to hunt sheep.

Much of the advice above holds true. These are heavily outfitted, and the limited legal rams have been staked out for the most part prior to the season opener. In the areas that border the park, the sheep know where the boundary is.

When I did these hunts, I went in 5 days early to scout. In area 300, there were sheep on Gallatin Mountain, but there were no legal rams there. There were a few sheep in Bear Basin, and in Beehive Basin, but again, no legal rams. This was a backpack hunt for me and I stayed in a total of 8 days in 1999. On day 3 the 2 rams had been shot and the season ended. In 2000, I did the same thing, but stuck to less traveled areas further west toward Ennis and only saw a few sheep. I covered some serious mileage and didn't see any legal rams.

I saw a few bears, but never had issues with them. I used to do a lot of backpacking in the Scapegoat and Bob Marshall. Follow good clean camp practice, and don't worry about them.

Should you do the hunt? If you like backpacking, and don't care if you see a sheep, go ahead, it isn't that expensive. If shooting a sheep is more than a passing thought, you will likely be dissappointed.

Get in better shape than you think possible. This is tough country, and is every bit what a backpack dall sheep hunt is billed as.

It is a mixed bag. I wouldn't do it again, but I am glad that I did.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the only place on the entire planet where you can pay the price of a tag and hunt big horn sheep for the out of state cost. Is it tough? Hell yes it's tough. It is huge country.
The outfitters are not as heavily into this hunt as in years past. Is it a concern? Not for me. Why?

I have the harvest data for all unlimited districts back to about 1984. It is available for everyone from the FWP district offices in Billings (500,501, 502) and in Bozeman for 300 and 301, which is now closed.

You're running out of time before the deadline. However, if you decide to try this thing then do the following.
1. Get the harvest data, get all the maps you can find. Plot the data (ALL THE DATA) such as when he was shot and where, not just size.
2. You need to be in damn good shape. I haven't been afte Argali (and dnon't want to) but this is brutal country for the unprepared. I can't imagine a harder hunt on foot. You need to fully expect the first Equinox snow storm pretty close to opening day on Sept.15th. Yes, it's pretty, but it's just as pretty from the windshield of your truck or motor home.
3. Like everyone else has said. Go in one or two weeks early and do all your hunting then. On opening morning pull the trigger.

In the end, if you come up empty handed, you cand still say that you've hunted the Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep. There are no guarantees from an outfitter either, but you can always hire one if you have the jingle.

Not to be insulting, but remember, the Beartooth Mountains or the Spanish Peaks are not Georgia.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I intended to address the grizzly bear question. District 303 in Gardiner is a concern. District 300 just to the west in the Tom Miner Basin and Gallatin Range is also an area of high density. District 501 around Cooke City is also a "problem" area.
Districts 500 and 502 where the sheep seem to hang out is not thick with grizzlies.

That being said, you must keep a clean camp and keep your senses about you. If you have sheep on the ground or hanging on a meat pole then just expect trouble and be very happy if you don't have any trouble.

I see you have a thread on Wyoming. They have the same issues with ursus horribilus.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Ozultra, I have been on this hunt multiple times and you are getting good advice. One thing I can add is please do not come on this hunt and shoot a 3/4 curl ram. These are youngsters and while legal should be passed (as I have done multiple times). It is very unlikely that you will find a mature ram but it is possible. I have run into them in the 303 area when the unlimited season was still open (didn't have a tag that year).

I have not run into outfitters in that area in years (have in early 2000s) and don't think they market this hunt since success rates are so low.

Alternatively you could go to the Missouri breaks unlimited unit and have a realistic chance. But there you will be in a foot race and have huge competition as those hunts do close 48 hours after opening.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which number units are you suggesting? 500? 501?

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Actually I wasn't suggesting any. I was mistaken as there is no longer a Missouri Breaks unlimited tag. You are limited to 303, 500, 501 or 502 north of the Yellowstone border. Good luck!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you did ask for suggestions so here's my breakdown.
1. In 303 the season will close earlier around the end of October. That is by design to give the big rams a free pass onto the winter range along the Yellowstone River valley. Many of the ones taken (Deckerd Flats) are a cake walk to get to versus a hard core sheep nut busting hunt.

2. In 501, it's a freaking foot race near Cooke City on opening day. It's also a crap shoot as to whether or not there's a decent ram in the area (such as Miller or Henderson Mtns). In 501, I'd recommend hiking above Mystic Lake and crossing over the Rosebud R. at the connection point between Mystic and Island Lake. It is infamous as a challenge to cross with your pack on along a serious log jam. You're not there yet. Catch your breath and haul your butt up out of the valley to Franco and Beckworth Lakes, spike a camp and hunt the Twin Peaks, Mount Hauge, Mount Wood complex. You won't be alone here either.

3. In 500 you can wrestle a 4 wheeler to the headwaters of the Boulder River (accessed from Big Timber, Mt.) and camp around Blue Lake and/or the old Independence Mines. Then you can hunt Baboon Mtn or Columbine Pass, Boulder Pass, etc. Might be your best option logistically. That's my recommendation. Also, concentrate as much as possilbe on the volcanic bowls and scraggly timber. These sheep like to hide out. Don't worry about the outfitters.

Like I said before, get the maps, the harvest data, and study the hell out of it. Go at least a week early. If the eqauinox storm blows in (plan on it). Don't panic, just wait it out for a day or two. It will pass, warm up and melt any snow in short order.

and it might be hard to pass on after a week of hard hunting, but don't shoot a 3/4 curl ram. It is hard on the genetics for one thing and this high country population needs all the help it can get. Just because the measurements reported don't seem huge compared to other places, remember this is a damn tough place to make a living. The rams have a tendency to have very tight curl. And, ulitmately I'm willing to be that you will be very disappointed somewhere down the road at this pathetic youngster on your wall instead of the prize you really and truly seek.

Good luck and be careful.