Hunting Show Shots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Man....are all you guys showing your age or what?rotflmo

American Sportsman....really? Cool

Yep; when people ask how old I am I just respond "older than dirt" and move on to another subject, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course you have to physically pull the trigger, or shoot at an animal. It's part of hunting. There's still a big difference to me in the act of hunting and just shooting.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
I think you all are missing what I am saying.

Okay, when you are at the range whether it is a gong or piece of paper, if you are going to hit it you are going to have to SHOOT, Yes/No????

When you are on a hunt and the animal of your choice shows up at a range you are comfortable with, if you are going to kill it you are going to have to SHOOT, Yes/No?

Paper/Metal Plate/White Tail Deer/Feral hog, if a person is going to hit any of them, whether to get a tight group/ring the gong/or kill the critter, They Have To SHOOT!!!!!!!

YES, but you're missing the point again that larryshores is making CHC! We normally all refer to "shooting" as going out to the range. Sure hunting involves shooting something many times, but the "hunt" itself is what it is all about and not the final squeezing of the trigger. That is at least what it is to most of us older farts like myself that grew up with a different philosophy of what hunting really is compared to the younger generation.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
No, I understand his point quite well.

I have no problem understanding the nuance between the terms shooting and hunting.

Saeed's point is easily understandable also.

Does not matter what the target is, paper/metal/hair or feathers to achieve the results desired, at Some Point the person holding the gun or bow has to SHOOT!!!

The individual can refer to it as they choose, the mechanics are still the same.

I know a lot of folks, myself included that refer to going out to sight in a rifle, as making a trip to the gun range.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
... I do not seek out long range shots and will only take one if there is no other option.

homer?????????????

There is always another option.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
These days TV hunting has taught me that even when I go to the range to just do some shooting I always "back out" and give the target "time"

I know it's hit good but it will be best to wait until tomorrow morning to check the group

Big Grin

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
These days TV hunting has taught me that even when I go to the range to just do some shooting I always "back out" and give the target "time"

I know it's hit good but it will be best to wait until tomorrow morning to check the group

Big Grin

That comment more than deserved that big smiley!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I watched one today called "Extreme Range" or something like that with a guy who promotes his rifles. Shot an antelope at 480 yards but as he is walking up to it he looks at the camera and says, "I will be honest with you...I wished he was farther."

WTF???

It was probably "Extreme Outer Limits" with Bob Beck and his wife Chis. He's a real douchebag and would say something like that! He also got nailed a couple years ago for being stupid enough to film a hunt up in Idaho killing two bucks when he only had one legal tag.

That is the one Topgun.

I am in Louisiana visiting some of my customers; man they love to hunt! Feel right at home.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Big Grin

rotflmo

dancing
jumping
dancing

I just close my eyes and fold the target up and don't look at it till the next morning saves me a trip.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
The below footage sums up how I feel about most hunting shows today. Just because some people are famous, does not mean they are expert hunters. This guy needs to stick to his terrible music and dancing around on stage in his skinney jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTqczp6vxEM

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
American Sportsman....really?

It was really good show.

The only one I have seen in recent times are the episodes of Tracks Across Africa I have ran across.

American Sportsman respresented the golden era hunting...loved that show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37890 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
The below footage sums up how I feel about most hunting shows today. Just because some people are famous, does not mean they are expert hunters. This guy needs to stick to his terrible music and dancing around on stage in his skinney jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTqczp6vxEM

that guy may very well be the biggest idiot I've ever seen on a hunting show. thumbdown

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Actually, most of Gowdy's fame was tied to his announcing of various competitive sports. Most notably he was the play-by-play guy for the Boston Red Sox for many years. That's how he got to know Ted Williams well. But he also did a lot of football and the Olympics for NBC.

JG,

I don't recall any movies other than ones where he made brief appearances as an announcer.

Which was probably why I was never impressed with the American Sportsman. I really disliked Gowdy as a sports announcer and felt he was very hiased in his calling a game. So, if he was on the show, I found something else to do. Or in the case of football, turned the game on radio and turned the sound off.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
You guys are a bunch of youngsters, I remember watching Osa Johnson........

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote