Find
Notify
Tools

Expedition safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
Anyone watch the SCI high fence show on TV ?
I thought it was interesting that Mike Rogers portrayed it as spot and stalk free range hunting when he was hunting a preserve.
TV shows like this one don't help hunting in my opinion. 1800 acre preserve .
http://www.oakcreekwhitetailranch.com/
Is it me or are TV hunting shows mostly a joke these days ? Hell they don't even list a price on the website. I guess if you have to ask how much that 200" buck is you can't afford him.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
95% 0f them are all a joke. They need to hire real hunters and not these phony so call hunters that could not hunt in real time if they had too. They need to hire other hosts,who actually must know how it works in real time, a time and date in the corner of the screen to keep the honest. After the shot the camera should be with the hunters walking up to the game, not filming at the down game watching the hunters walk up to it. I only watch a few and I have to be bored to do that. If they want a real hunter-give me a call but I think I would be fired for they would not take my idea's...They are a joke...... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always figured Mike Rogers was hunting with SCI supporters and their donations (read - free hunt).

Personally I like his hunt shows (although he comes off a little too corporate soft IMO). He films a lot of worldwide hunts that are obviously not high fenced. If he did a high fenced hunt that was donated then so be it. I don't like high fences but enough hunters do hunt them that they are a reality and there is a market for them.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally enjoy this show, but if any of these hunts are donated, they should say so. I assume they are donated, and wonder why the outfitters/operators need to do that. I further assume they need to sell hunts.

I know several outfitters and booking agents who are constantly pestered by media folks for free hunts.

Good outfits don't need to give away anything for free. TV hosts and writers should realize that and tell us exactly what they paid. If they paid full price, it means so much more from a marketing perspective.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:

Is it me or are TV hunting shows mostly a joke these days ?

It isn't just you. I personally find most of them pretty bad. A few seem decent, but that's the exception. Just my opinion.

The shows are important because the future of hunting depends largely on the opinions of non-hunters and how they see "us" conducting our activities. I think a few of the more pathetic ones are doing us a disservice.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know if the hunts are donated or paid for by SCI...but I do know Mike Rogers, Jr is the son of Mike Roger's Sr who is Director at SCI and Mike Rogers, Jr was paid $249K last year by SCI to produce the hunting shows.

See page 56 on the attached link

http://www.scifirstforhunters.....09_SCI_FORM_990.pdf

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got rid of both the Sportsman's channel and the Outdoor Channel earlier this year. Don't really miss them.
Also quit taking about 10 different hunting publications.
Got to be more than I could take.
I also refuse to buy any branded merchandise.
'Bout the only time I wear camo these days is when I'm bow hunting. Just wear drab green.
But then again I ain't shot any low fenced polar bears coming to my Texas hill country feeders this year. Think I ought to go back to Bone Collector cammo breath mints and "Lee & Tifany jock strap and she safari make-up.?
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, some of the shows suck. On the other hand, I remember when there were none. I prefer today when I can pick and choose which shows to watch. I will not be cancelling any of the outdoor channels.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:
Anyone watch the SCI high fence show on TV ?
I thought it was interesting that Mike Rogers portrayed it as spot and stalk free range hunting when he was hunting a preserve.
TV shows like this one don't help hunting in my opinion. 1800 acre preserve .
http://www.oakcreekwhitetailranch.com/
Is it me or are TV hunting shows mostly a joke these days ? Hell they don't even list a price on the website. I guess if you have to ask how much that 200" buck is you can't afford him.

Did Mike actually say it was "free range"? Your choice of the word "portrayed" would lead me to believe he did not. Could you elaborate before we flame the guy.

I completely agree with you that a lot of the shows are total jokes! One good one on versus is Gun It, with Benny Spies. He is a young guy in a 73' Winnebego going around the country hunting. It is very entertaining to say the least. He misses A LOT but I think that is part of the show's montra (good,bad and ugly). Serious hunting...sort of, serious characters...not at all. Fun to watch.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
quote:
One good one on versus is Gun It, with Benny Spies

I really like the Benny's vibe, but even Benny is guilty of sensationalizing a "hunt". Did you see when he went to ND and "hunted" a Buffalo with his fathers 375 H&H?

He got 2 demerits from me for that one.

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375LVR:
quote:
One good one on versus is Gun It, with Benny Spies

I really like the Benny's vibe, but even Benny is guilty of sensationalizing a "hunt". Did you see when he went to ND and "hunted" a Buffalo with his fathers 375 H&H?

He got 2 demerits from me for that one.

You aren't kidding on that. Buffalo shoot, not a hunt.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep in mind these shows are for entertainment. the ones that aren't entertaining enough (too small a viewership) don't last. like many, i rarely watch them these days. if the "hunter" is shooting a trad bow, i'll usually watch. otherwise, reading trumps the tv.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the most part Mike Rogers and the SCI Shows are well done efforts on mostly free range hunts. I didn't really like the whitetail hunt on the Preserve, but I don't hunt whitetails that way so just not that interesting. I don't however begrudge him or any others who choose to hunt these operations.

I to did not hear Mike Rogers claim that this was a free range hunt so if anyone has it recorded could they go back through it and enlighten us to that fact? As usual some here are quick to degrade any and all things SCI.

Bow hunting whitetails is still my favorite pastime so I do watch a few of these. It is really funny sometimes to hear these guys playing up the size, mass and character of bucks that are marginal at best. However shooting a true free range monster whitetail buck with a bow is most likely one of the hardest things to accomplish.

My "to watch" list includes but not inclusive and in no order of importance would be: TAA, Dangerous Game, Hornadys Africa, Beyond the Lodge, Jim Shockey, Under Wild Skies Africa, Hunting the Country, North American Whitetail, On Your Own Adventures, The Choice, our own Tim Hearld's Show, and there are quite a few more if the timing is right. Some of the fishing shows are OK too.

Happy New Year

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member
PS - Only 25 days till SCI Reno!!

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Most of them are commercial, wish folks like Gordon Eastman were still around. That guy knew how to make a hunting film and not have it sound like an advertisement for vagina cream.

That and I don't know about you, but I don't want to watch bowhunting or turkey hunting 24/7. I don't participate in either of those activities and I don't want to watch it. It's boring, and then you have folks bitching about how a whitetail didn't get within 45 yards because some cows spooked it in Wyoming from their tree stand.

I say "grow up and realize that you get paid to hunt on tv" so quit being a pussy when hunts don't go your way.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt on and off for 6 months each year when not hunting I'm shooting either powder or shaft. A few of the shows are good "The Rack Man" is a good one though I don't speak a word of French.
What I don't understand is how in a sport such as archery hunting camo face paint has been replaced with female war paint. Makes one wonder just how serious the show should be considerd authentic by the viewer. Also there is in my opine way too much of "if it isn't a Booner it isn't worthy of my tag" mentality promoted on all hunting shows. Let us get real the vast majority of hunters have little or no interest in B&C or P&Y they only wish for a good honest hunt (show) an some meat for the pot.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was just......sad....

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What really makes me want to puke is whenever an animal is killed, they giggle like adolescence boys looking at their first Playboy magazine.
I've always been thrilled with taking a game animal and so have all my firends but, I never saw anyone act like that.
I've quit watching most of the so-called hunting shows because of this.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote