THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Domestic Flight ammo in gun case or seperate checked bag?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Domestic Flight ammo in gun case or seperate checked bag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
TSA says it can go in locked gun case. Delta says in checked baggage. Anybody know if you can have it in the case? This is for a domestic flight Indiana to Idaho. Thanks.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Delta's policies say that you can place the ammunition in the rifle case. Here's the page;
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_...ting_goods/index.jsp

Here's what it says:

Rifles
One rifle case containing:

two or fewer rifles (with or without scopes)
one shooting mat
one small pistol tool kit
noise suppressers
11 lbs. (approx. 5kgs) of ammunition
An excess baggage charge will apply to cases containing more than two rifles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I check a few months back, both the TSA site and NWA and at that time ammo could go in either checked baggage or in with the firearm (domestic flight).

Side note: I flew to Canada for that trip and in Canada ammo CANNOT be packed with the firearm so on the return trip I was required to transfer the ammo from the firearm case to checked baggage.

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I suggest checking the website of the airline you're traveling on, *printing* out their regs and having them with you. There are many incompetent shmucks working the airline, but it's pretty hard to argue against someone with their written rules in your hand. Not impossible, mind, but difficult. Wink

In my domestic travels with firearms I've always kept the ammo in boxes in the locked case with the firearms, and TSA didn't give me a headache about it at all.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
TSA says it can go in locked gun case. Delta says in checked baggage. Anybody know if you can have it in the case? This is for a domestic flight Indiana to Idaho. Thanks.

Mad Dog

I just flew Delta last week with gun and ammo in the same case. My hunting partner kept them seperate. Delta doesn't care, TSA doesn't care.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The best practice is to keep the ammunition separate from your rifle.

Place the ammunition in a separate locked case inside your checked luggage.

You will never have a problem anywhere if you do this, regardless of what any applicable regulations may provide.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Since counter people & TSA often get it wrong, I suggest a trip to the TSA website & airline of choice, print the policy pages of each & carry them with you. I've traveled w/ the ammo & rifles both ways but am leaning to ammo in the case w/ the rifles. If my rifle doesn't show, it doesn't matter if my ammo does. CRYBABY

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
American Southwest and United where all different, American & United wanted seprate in it's orignal box, Southwest was just fine with it together and in after market ammo box's, United was OK with it in after market box but seprate.

Later I found out all 3 policy at the time was ammo OK with firearm, but check in made up there own rules.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
American & United wanted seprate in it's orignal box.

Pretty tough to do if I buy my components in bulk (and I do).

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have always flown with my ammo and rifles in the same case. I've used Delta and United, neither had a problem with it. I am curious, for those of you that put your ammo in a locked case inside your suitcase, do you have to declare your ammo?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I am curious, for those of you that put your ammo in a locked case inside your suitcase, do you have to declare your ammo?

Yes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I flew on American today (and "passed" the TSA inspection) with ammo in the same locked case as my two rifles. In fact, on the outbound leg on Friday, the ticket agent made me put the ammo in the steel gun case. Also, my case (a two-gun double rifle take-down model from Cabela's) fits within the rolling duffle bag which held my cloths, etc. In other words, I had only one checked bag. It sure makes travel easier to have one bag, btw.

I do have a canvas cover for the gun case that I take with me and once in RSA, the "gun police" made me ship the case separately so I just put the case in the cover, no problem.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Just to add American was the worst going from LAX to Hawaii, I have hunted Hawaii several times and last trip American wanted Factory boxed ammo only, my son had to take my 270 ammo home what a chore finding ammo there, finely found it on Maui for a hunt on Lani.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote