Notify
Tools

Coyotes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
How big do coyotes normally run?

I saw what looked like a coyote carrying a pup this afternoon while walking my dog. I have never seen a coyote up close enough to get a good look at one. What I saw today was about the size of a big, long legged rat terrier and it did not look like a fox That sound about right?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Adults are generally about 22-25 lbs. in the West, TX coyotes included. In the East they can run quite a bit larger but the really big ones are most likely hybrids.

Biggest I ever took was a 46lb. bitch at about 6,000 feet elevation here in CA. I'm pretty certain it was a pure coyote and not a hybrid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like you were looking at a grey fox.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Texas, a 30 pounder is pretty good size.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
Adults are generally about 22-25 lbs. in the West, TX coyotes included. In the East they can run quite a bit larger but the really big ones are most likely hybrids.

Biggest I ever took was a 46lb. bitch at about 6,000 feet elevation here in CA. I'm pretty certain it was a pure coyote and not a hybrid.

Maybe West & SW but a coyote that small in the NW would be a pup. Most around here are little, but 35 lbs and up were common in Eastern Ore. and Idaho where I hunted. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never weighed one, 'cause I never wanted to pick up one of the ugly, scrawny, flea-bitten dogs here in south Texas. But they can't be over 20 or 25lbs. Doesn't mean they ain't smart and mean, though.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Olarmy has it right. I have shot quite a few in South Texas, and they never were much over about 20#. I trapped one big female down there years back that might have weighed 30, but she was a rarity.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the NE they may be up to about 70 pounds !!

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Here in Arizona males get to about 35 lbs for a larger one but average about 25 - 30... The record here is something in the 40s but much above 30 isn't too often....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote