New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swamp Elephants!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Alright all you big game hunters,I am notifing you I am laying claim to all swamp elephants here in the Tidewater region of Virginia.
I have recieved the 450 Nitro from the judge, and have bought brass/dies and bullets.
Have ordered the peep sight from NEG for the no-1.
Planing on safari after Jan-1 so the ice will be on the water it will be easier to track.
Whish me Luck!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave tell us more about your 450 Nitro. What loads do you plan to start with. For all game smaller than Virginia Elephants you might want to give the 350gr Hornady Round Nose a try. It works REAL good in my 450 No2 Nitro. Start with 65gr. of IMR 3031 and work your way up till they hit with the sights and regulate properly. Also get "SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE" second edition, by Graeme Wright. I think it is still avialable at www.huntingtons.com Keep us posted on your results.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't lay claim to them!!! I've been stalking then in Dismal Swamp for a couple of months with my 450/400 3 1/4 double. Thought I saw some poacer tracks down there in my area [Big Grin] .

Congrats on the 450. Since we are both i the same area, maybe we could team up on a Tidewater area ivory hunt??

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard these animals had all been killed by guys with 45/70s. [Eek!]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE450#2,I have been advised to start off lite and work up,Have e-mailed Larry at superior ammo and talked to him, and will be ordering his 450BPE loads that he suggested to start with,hae talked to the people at Acturate Powder and they have given a starting load for XMP5744,and may be able to use the same black powder loading as my 45-120 Sharpes.
Mac,noqw you know the seasons doesn't start untill January,don't let the Fed's catch you [Razz]
Pecos, 45-70 are only used on that rare sabertoothed racoon,because of the lighter bones it has [Wink]

[ 12-12-2002, 06:32: Message edited by: Dave James ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave I have shot some Superior ammo, it was good stuff. Good luck.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote