THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looks like I'm drawing a black bear tag this fall!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks like I'm drawing a black bear tag this fall!
 Login/Join

posted
Should be getting a black bear tag in a very good unit this fall here in Michigan. Not my first rodeo with blackies so I wont be dropping the hammer on anything under 350lbs or thereabouts.

My question is this. My 308 tends to shoot bullets of the 150gr persuasion better than than the 165s and 180s. What do you guys suggest as a solid bullet choice?

Ive not found black bears to be very difficult to kill in the past but im a bit concerned with the velocity of the 150s from the .308. Shots will be within 100 yards and id hate to have a cup and core come apart and destroy too much hide and meat. Should i load down to around 2600fps or use something like a A Frame.

Am I over thinking this...should i just use the old standard 150gr interlock over varget and move on?

Make mine a Mauser

Posts: 11 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 27 May 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot a black bear but I have used a .308 for deer hunting for the past 20 years.
I think you just cannot go wrong with a Nosler Accubond 150 grain bullet in a .308 Winchester rifle. They just plain do the job, as does the Nosler Partition bullet in both 150 and 180 grain.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I have not shot a black bear but I have used a .308 for deer hunting for the past 20 years.
I think you just cannot go wrong with a Nosler Accubond 150 grain bullet in a .308 Winchester rifle. They just plain do the job, as does the Nosler Partition bullet in both 150 and 180 grain.

I shot five black bears with a .308 in northern MN. Look, NONE of them were farther than 25 yards - so bullet accuracy was a non-issue. I did have quite a job one year because I shot a big one front on with a cup and core bullet. The bear was dead, but I had look look quite a while to find him. I then switched to Nosler 180 Partitions.

Why shoot a 150? Why not a 180? Trajectory is a non-issue.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of bears have been killed with the 150's.

That said I do not shoot any thing lighter the 165s in my 30 cals.

I would go with a bit heaver bullet just in case you run into a monster.

Well you need it most likely not but ammos cheap a lost bear isn't.

My wife has a Wis. tag she well be using 8x57 with 185gr cor-loks at 2600.

The last 5 or 6 bears we killed were with 180s or 220s.

I have seen them killed with most anything.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Penetration is most important on bears.
Weight make's 'em penetrate deeper.

That close accuracy won't enter the game
plan. Use heavier.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since your shots are likely to be relatively close, I'd say go with a heavier bullet. In the thick woods of Michigan, "minute of pie plate" is all you need for accuracy so don't worry about your groups. The added punch of the bullet weight will help you. Accubonds and Partitions are great for bears.

All this being said, your current setup will certainly work. If it were me I'd upgrade as I suggest, but at that range you honestly don't truly NEED to. Unless you have the time and desire to test at the range, use what you have and go hunting. Good luck.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a box car load of black bears fall stone dead out of trees with cheap 150gr cup and core ammo in 30/30, .308 & 30/06 without excessive hide or meat damage.

Don’t over think it.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seen a lot of bears drop stone dead out of trees also.

Head shots do that. I also seen them drop out of tree at the shot bounce and take of running.

Good hounds makes finding those a lot easier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For really big black bears, heavy for caliber premium partition bullets would be my choice.

Especially if you take front on or shoulder shots.

I am partial to Swift A-frames.

Smaller bears and/or lung shots let you get by with less bullet.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my younger years I killed a lot of game with smaller and lite for caliber bullets.

As I have gotten older and seen/killed more game.

I come to like heavier for caliber bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
180gr Barnes TSX - end of story....

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote