THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for a non-draw pronghorn hunt

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a non-draw pronghorn hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Considering a non-draw pronghorn hunt instead of the West TX management mule deer trip we are considering for a father-son hunt this year. 14 year old son. Seems to be a few options in NM but curious to see what others have done.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted the Crow Nation Lands on an off year or two for pronghorn.
They're up by Hardin MT.
I don't know how far out they're booked or the price but LMK if you want a number to call a guy and get some answers.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
I think that might be a tough one this year in a lot of antelope territory. Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, and eastern Montana got hit by a pretty bad winter this year and are cutting back on tags!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
I think that might be a tough one this year in a lot of antelope territory. Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, and eastern Montana got hit by a pretty bad winter this year and are cutting back on tags!

Thats why I'm thinking New Mexico is probably the best choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest you check with Jim Wells at JFW Ranch Consulting in Albuquerque. He typically has quotas at several choice NM properties. Class operation and a great guy to hunt with...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.turnerranchoutfitting.com/the-ranch

Check Vermejo, Raton N.M. I love that place.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
Suggest you check with Jim Wells at JFW Ranch Consulting in Albuquerque. He typically has quotas at several choice NM properties. Class operation and a great guy to hunt with...

Good hunting,

I've seen him post here in the past and have only heard good things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marfa, Alpine, Marathon, Texas and surrounging towns and counties have great hunting on privately owned ranches, unless things have changed..I have hunted their many times and ranched their a few years back..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in that area in February for aoudad and our guide said the pronghorn had had some bad years and were way down in numbers there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota has over the counter licenses but they are pricey and a registered guide is required. There are good numbers and nice size goats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No OTC tags In Montana even I have to apply for a tag. Stay away from the reservation hunts on Crow. Land owner tag would be the way to go .

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
Drought, over population, desease from livstock, tend to thin the herds in large numbers so it never hurts to do your homework..but its not usually state wide inTexas and you still have other counties, same with sheep but worse..New Mexico has some trophy antelope North of Demming migt be worth a look see in the South central NM.

Takes a year or two for herds to build back up..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
No OTC tags In Montana even I have to apply for a tag. Stay away from the reservation hunts on Crow. Land owner tag would be the way to go .

Curious why you suggest staying away from the Crow?

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robncolorado:
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:

Curious why you suggest staying away from the Crow?

Me too, having done it several times. Maybe the right outfitter/guide helps the situation.

I've shot a free-range cow bison, my biggest bear, by far, of 13 I've shot around the west, and between me and sons-in-law we've shot a healthy pile of pronghorn and had exactly zero issues.

Zeke

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want trophy in NM. Claunch is the 1st, and last word in trophy antelope. Have 4 hanging on the wall

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:

Good hunting,

This is good advice, worth following up on.

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin from JFW is supposed to call me this evening to discuss a trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm too late for slots for 2023 in August. Will look to next year and go on an Axis and Blackbuck hunt in the hill country this year.