THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wolf killed in South Dakota Black Hills

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf killed in South Dakota Black Hills
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
quote:

Home / News / News
Wolf killing near Custer inspires talk of controversial predator
StoryDiscussionWolf killing near Custer inspires talk of controversial predator
Kevin Woster Journals staff Rapid City Journal | Posted: Friday, February 3, 2012 6:00 am | (5) Comments

Font SizeBig Grinefault font sizeLarger font size
.Wolves.

They don't show up often in the Black Hills. But when they do, they get people's attention.

Federal wildlife officials are investigating the killing of a wolf near Custer, as news of the incident spread Thursday through the sporting community in the Black Hills.

Brad Merrill, a special agent for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service in Pierre, said that he couldn't discuss specifics of the incident, which remains under investigation. He said samples from the animal had been shipped to a laboratory in the state of Washington to determine if it is "pure wolf."

"It can be difficult to distinguish sometimes," Merrill said.

Merrill said wolves are still protected in most areas, including western South Dakota. And the gray wolf is on the state list of rare, threatened or endangered species.

But elsewhere there are seasons on wolves, which have been taken off the endangered species list in states that include Montana and Idaho.

John Kanta, regional wildlife program manager for the South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks Department in Rapid City, said that wolves move through the state occasionally from established populations in states to the east and west. But there is no evidence of a breeding pair or pack in the state, Kanta said.

"The last confirmed wolf here in western South Dakota was hit by a vehicle on I-90 in March of 2006," Kanta said. "It was a male that weighed about 115 pounds and was estimated at 2 years old."

Testing done on that wolf indicated that it was from populations to the west of South Dakota, Kanta said.

GF&P gets periodic reports of animals thought to be wolves. Last Friday, GF&P staffers joined the Rapid City Police Department in responding to a report of a wolf in the western part of town. Officers couldn't find signs of a wolf and didn't see the animal in question, however.

"We're not saying absolutely that it wasn't a wolf. We're saying that it's pretty unlikely that a wild wolf would wander into the city," Kanta said. "We certainly believe the gentleman who contacted us saw something that looked like a wolf."

Sometimes coyotes may be mistaken for wolves, even though they are typically only about a third as big. And there are wolf-mix dogs or dogs that resemble wolves that also can be confusing, Kanta said.

Wolves are controversial in other states, and of particular concern to livestock producers. Wolves can be aggressive predators on livestock.

"There's no doubt that wolves can be pretty hard on livestock producers," Kanta said. "I'm of the opinion that wolves would be even more controversial in South Dakota than lions."

Read more: http://rapidcityjournal.com/ne...c.html#ixzz1lKwm5vMe

They are spreading. IMO, just a matter of time before we have an established population.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are spreading. IMO, just a matter of time before we have an established population

There is plenty for them to eat and a lot of places to roam.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Wolf killed is good news to me!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're spreading out for many miles in every direction from where they were first introduced in the 90s. They are just like lions in that when they start to overpopulate the younger ones will travel many miles to establish their own new territoy. One male lion that was tagged as a kitten near Wind Cave NP south of Custer was killed less than two years later by a lion hunter way to the west in the BigHorn Mountains of Wyoming.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Federal wildlife officials are investigating the killing of a wolf near Custer, as news of the incident spread Thursday through the sporting community in the Black Hills.

It looks like somebody didn't follow through on all three steps of "shoot, shovel, shut-up."

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's for sure!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a small, geographically isolated habitat. I cannot imagine more than two packs getting established, but that would more than enough to wreak more havoc on the deer/elk populations. Which is exactly what I think the Feds want.

Will have to wait and see if this wolf is from out west, back east, or a hybrid.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I woujldn't be surprised at all if it was from in the Rockies. They hit a collared one that came from there on I-90 several years ago near Sturgis, SD!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
With a small, geographically isolated habitat. I cannot imagine more than two packs getting established, but that would more than enough to wreak more havoc on the deer/elk populations. Which is exactly what I think the Feds want.

Will have to wait and see if this wolf is from out west, back east, or a hybrid.

I see no reason as long as they are not hunted,trapped ect that they could not move into the rest of SD. They can live any place a yote can live if not molested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They can live any place a yote can live i

not sure i believe this,they can't catch antelope and can't "make a living on jackrabbitts"
leaves them the livestock and domestic animals.
This is the basis of Wyoming's dual management plan. 80% of Wyoming will not support wolves.
I would venture a guess So. Dakota is very
similar in these respects.
They will be heavily molested if they start eating livestock

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
quote:
They can live any place a yote can live i

not sure i believe this,they can't catch antelope and can't "make a living on jackrabbitts"
leaves them the livestock and domestic animals.
This is the basis of Wyoming's dual management plan. 80% of Wyoming will not support wolves.
I would venture a guess So. Dakota is very
similar in these respects.
They will be heavily molested if they start eating livestock

Very true as I said if they are not molested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, they can live through out SD.

But they will be heavily "molested" via SSS predator control.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Genetic testing back and the wolf was from the Great Lakes population.

After a discussion with a retired F&W and GFP employee. South Dakota is divided in half. The eastern side falls under Great Lakes wolf management plan. The western side of the state is not in the Great Lakes or Rocky Mountain wold management plan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One down, how many to go?

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yale:
One down, how many to go?

thumb

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote