Tools

30-06 Owner's Behavior
 Login/Join

<257 AI>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Gonzolas:
It works but that is all.

Yes it works, what more do you want? It'll drop a deer, elk, antelope or anything else I want to shoot with it. How about if we change the name to "30-30 Magnum"? Would that make it a better round?

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I don't own a 30-06, but my father has for decades, and both of my regular hunting partners ( my wife's relatives are all Mainers and shoot 30-30s, to a man ). There are a couple of points that cannot be ignored or minimized:

[1] You are never any further than 20 miles from a box of 30-06 cartridges for sale in the lower 48. No excuse for running out of ammunition on a work day.

[2] If it's windy, you probably aren't going to get to shoot much further than the 30-06's useful range of 250 yards anyway. Most of us are happiest with shots within its point-blank range, for the most part, even with hot guns.

[3] There are a plethora of 30-06-friendly bullets, one for almost any purpose you can mention. There are a lot of elk-capable bullets in 30-caliber, and they work on deer and antelope too.

Tom

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For 8 years it was my first chose thought it was my only chose we were a young service family over the years I've bought or trade for 7 more just 2 in the house now but to spread the use out every year I pick 2 guns to use one brush and one long range but if I had to start my hunting battery over yep an 06 would be first on the list PS way does everyone want to know how there new caliber stack up to the 06 I think they call that a bench mark

[This message has been edited by old06 (edited 12-16-2001).]

Posts: 10 | Location: Keithville Louisiana | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I gues I never answered. An 06 was my first rarely hunted with it.

Took it as back up on a cow elk hunt where I used a 35 remington to be different. Got my cow elk with the 35.

Then bought a 358 win. Took the win and the 06 to Alsaka. Scope problem with the 358 so I took a Black Bear and Cairbou with 06.

Never hunted with it again. Cause then I ended up getting a 375HH, 859 Galaxy, 6.5x55, and a 7x57.

Converted the 06 to a 300 Hawk.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<1LoneWolf>
posted
OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I was using a 7-08 for PA deer. That has been taken over by a hunting buddy.

Now, not knowing the conditions on a hunt:

That being cut corn, mountains, thick brush, etc. on the same day at times, and knowing I might have a 40 yard or a 300 yard shot, I use the 30-06.

It doesn't have a flaw really.

So, maybe for a Huge Bull Elk or a Moose, I'd rather have something faster and perhaps larger in caliber, but the 30-06 can still do it all in deer hunting.