New
Find
Notify
Tools

As a Non Res
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gday, Im wondering if any of you guys are able to tell me something, You can pm me if you prefer but I am wanting to know Which province state or patch of Bush I could as a non resident buy an OTC Public Land Antlered Mule Deer or Antlered Elk Tag for reasonable price.??

I almost had a shot in a State but the Regs changed the following Year.

Appreciate any Help and Info.

Thanks
WhelanLad

'Hilldog safaris @ fb'

Warm Barrels

Posts: 63 | Location: N.E Vic- Awwstraya | Registered: 24 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado offers OTC bull elk tags.

The regular Texas hunting license has a tag for a Mule Deer, but there are limited counties which have Mule Deer seasons and almost all land is in private hands so you would have to locate available private land to hunt on and pay a lease or "trespass" fee.

I'm pretty sure that Alberta's tags for both species are OTC, but you'll need to check with someone who is more familiar than I am.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You can get OTC deer tags or landowner elk tags in New Mexico without going through the draw. But like Stonecreek says about Texas, it's probably gonna cost you. There are usually some leftover mule deer tags in the less desirable areas in New Mexico, usually for bow or muzzleloaders. They can be good though. My best public land muley was killed on a leftover tag in 2008.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Colorado offers OTC bull elk tags.

The regular Texas hunting license has a tag for a Mule Deer, but there are limited counties which have Mule Deer seasons and almost all land is in private hands so you would have to locate available private land to hunt on and pay a lease or "trespass" fee.

I'm pretty sure that Alberta's tags for both species are OTC, but you'll need to check with someone who is more familiar than I am.

With regards to Alberta........... that is incorrect. The majority of the best mule deer hunting is by draw. Whitetail is much more available OTC. Elk, some draw and some OTC.
However, non-residents must use an outfitter or hunt with a resident that has obtained the appropriate "Hunter Host" licence. With draw areas the non-resident has to put in the draw with the resident hunter.

More to it, but suffice it to say you can't just go to Alberta as a non-resident, buy a tag for elk or mule deer and go hunting.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a archery hunter South Dakota offers guaranteed licenses for mule deer, Whitetail deer and antelope. I'd be happy to help you if that is of interest.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I believe Montana still has plenty of Deer Combo or Elk/Deer Combo non-resident licenses available for this year, along with plenty of public land.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First question is what is your age? If you are young enough to need Hunter Safety, you may be screwed for getting a license here. The states only accept other US states hunter safety cards, and a limited few Europian or Asian ones. My friends who are licensed African DG PH's cannot hunt deer here in Idaho, because they can't get a license. Stupid rule!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Blank why wouldn't they just write their PH license # in the slot provided for Hunters safety number#, that would work in CO I'm pretty sure.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Blank why wouldn't they just write their PH license # in the slot provided for Hunters safety number#, that would work in CO I'm pretty sure.

I agree with Snellstrom, just write in the number of their PH license. I know that Ernest Dyason of Spear Safaris in South Africa has hunted widely across our western states when he comes over in the winter.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

If you need Hunter Education you may be able to use this: Colorado Parks and Wildlife - Hunter Education info

Proof of Hunter Education

​​​​​​​Acceptable proof of hunter education consists of:

​An original, duplicate, or replacement Hunter Education card issued by any U.S. or Mexican state or Canadian provincial wildlife agency, or,

A Colorado Customer Identification (CID) with a "V" (standing for 'Verified') printed in the bottom, right-hand corner, or,

A Missouri Conservation Heritage Card with a Hunter Education number printed on the lower left-hand corner, or,

A Minnesota Driver's License with a Hunter Education number endorsement on the back, or,​

A hunting license from any of the following countries: Australia, Austria, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden or Switzerland. CPW will evaluate hunter education and hunting license information from other countries on an individual basis. CPW will evaluate hunter education and hunting license information from other countries on an individual basis. To be considered: Please fax 303-291-7113, mail (Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Attn: Hunter Education Section, 6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216), or email (dnr_wildlife.huntered@state.co.us) copies of your information well in advance of your desired hunting season.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check if there is a requirement for aliens to hire a guide. Last time I looked, you don't need a guide to hunt moose or caribou in AK, but you do if are not a US resident.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Idaho you can get over the counter tag for a mule deer and some areas you can get a bull tag as well. ELK:In units 20A, 26, and 27 Any weapon —
Units 20A & 26: antlered only
Unit 27: brow-tined bulls only
Oct 1 - Oct 31
DEER: 20A, 26, 27 Sep 15 - Oct 31

Idaho regs: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/p...cs/rules/bgRules.pdf

good luck!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote