THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Have you taken game with RWS bullets?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you taken game with RWS bullets?
 Login/Join

<Mads>
posted
I'll like to hear if anybody has any exsperience with RWS bullet and big game hunting.

I personatly have taken three roe deer with the .308 165 grains Kegelspitze load at 3100 fps from my .300 win mag. And I must admit that they work great. All three was killed "in its tracks", with little meat damage. Distance was between 20 and 120 meter.
Actualtly I found the bullet very good for roe deer, even in the 300 win on such light game.

But I've seen two roe deer killed with the RWS factory loaded .300 win and 180 grains TUG and they litteratly exsploded! The same load didn't exit on a neck shot on a Red deer!

I sort that the TUG was meant for BIG game hunting and deep penetration and the Kegelspitze was for rapid exspansion and chok effect?

What is your exsperience?

Regards

Mads

<Dutchgus>
posted
I shot probably more than 100 roe deer and a couple of Scottish red and sika deer with the 8,2 gram KS out of my 6,5x57 and I am very pleased with this bullet. I started reloading with the 120 grains Speer but changed over to the KS. I found the Speer often too destructive especially when hitting bone on entering. For tougher game like wild boar I still use the 140 grains Partition, but this bullet sometimes can also be pretty destructive on the small roe deer.
The good thing about the KS in my experience is that, regardless the entrance on a rib or just between two ribs, you always get an entrance hole in the rib cage the diameter of 1 inch and an exit hole of some 1,5 inch. It seems to open up rapidly but afterwards holds together pretty well. Always gives a good blood trail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used RWS factory ammo for most of my hunting and especially big game. I have used them on lion, australian buffalo, boar, deer, various antilope from small to large.
- In rifles from .270 to .416.
I have to say that they are BRILLIANT. In the lion the 300gn .375 dual core slug stopped under the skin opposite side in a perfect mushroom, as has often happened with pigs. Excellent ammuntion.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote