Remington Buys Marlin...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
Not real sure where to put this.
(sorry if it's old news)

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/NYW02426122007-1.htm

MADISON, N.C., Dec. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Remington Arms Company, Inc. ("Remington" or "the Company") the only manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition for Hunting, Law Enforcement/Security, Government & Military applications in the United States, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Marlin Firearms Company, Inc. ("Marlin"). The transaction is expected to close by the end of January 2008.

Marlin, headquartered in North Haven, Connecticut, also owns Harrington and Richardson (H&R), New England Firearms (NEF) and LC Smith brands of rifles and shotguns.

Tommy Millner Remington's CEO, said, "I am pleased to announce that Marlin's well known brands with a long heritage of providing quality rifles and shotguns to hunters and shooters around the world will join the Remington family. The opportunity to combine two historic U.S. based companies with such storied and proud histories, is both challenging and exhilarating."

"We look forward to working with Bob Behn, a well respected member of our industry. He will remain as president of Marlin, charting a course of further growth and operational improvement," Mr. Millner continued.

Closing of the transaction is subject to certain customary conditions, including regulatory approvals. Credit Suisse acted as financial advisor to Remington with respect to this acquisition. Duff & Phelps Securities, LLC, a unit of Duff & Phelps Corporation , initiated the transaction, assisted in the negotiations and acted as exclusive financial advisor to Marlin.

Frank Kenna III, Marlin's Chairman, said, "Marlin has been a family run business since 1924 and through a number of important steps, we have grown it into the company it is today. We knew it was time to find the right partner for Marlin to ensure our brands maintain their leadership positions and move into the next century."

Mr. Kenna III continued, "We believe Remington's commitment to the industry, shooters and hunters alike, combined with their resources from a manufacturing and sales and marketing position, will reinforce the confidence, hard work and dedication that our employees and management have put into our brands."

Marlin manufactures a wide range of long guns, from the historic Model 39 and 336 rifles, which are the oldest shoulder arm designs in the world still being produced, to the XLR Series, which are the most accurate lever action rifles in the world. Its lever action 22 repeater, now the Model 39, became the favorite of many exhibition shooters, including the great Annie Oakley.

E. Scott Blackwell, Remington's President of Global Sales/Marketing and Product Development, said, "The history of our two companies in innovation and meeting the needs of hunters and shooters around the globe, combined with the opportunity to further develop the Remington, Marlin, H&R, NEF and LC Smith brands, is not only beneficial to the Company and our channel partners, but especially to our end customer. It is these customers and our employees that have contributed to the success and longevity of these brands."

About Remington Arms Company, Inc.

Remington Arms Company, Inc., headquartered in Madison, N.C., designs, produces and sells sporting goods products for the hunting and shooting sports markets, as well as solutions to the military, government and law enforcement markets. Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the Company is one of the nation's oldest continuously operating manufacturers. Remington is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products and one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles. The Company distributes its products throughout the U.S. and in over 55 foreign countries. More information about the Company can be found at www.remington.com.
About Marlin Firearms, Inc.

Established in 1870, The Marlin Firearms Company's brands include Marlin, Harrington & Richardson, New England Firearms and L. C. Smith. Under its various brands, Marlin produces an array of lever action, bolt action, and semi-automatic rifles, a wide variety of break-open single shot shotguns and rifles as well as muzzleloaders and combo sets. The company maintains a corporate Headquarters and manufacturing plant in North Haven, Connecticut as well as a manufacturing facility in Gardner, Massachusetts.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
News to me! Thanks for posting it!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I saw this too. One of my buddies said: "I guess this means that Marlin and H&R will now both come out with AR-15's too." Big Grin

The world gets smaller and smaller. I hate seeing all this consolidation.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are they going to put a J lock on the topper?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, so who's left?

Ruger is the number one domestic gun manufacturer, building a complete line of rifles, shotguns, and handguns (although its bread and butter these days financially is its line of Saturday Night Specials).

Winchester is an ammunition company, and I can't keep up with who owns it. "Winchester" branded firearms are the property of FN Herstal, and are on temporary hiatus from production but are scheduled to go back online soon.

S&W now owns Thompson Center.

Colt has been reduced to a small specialty producer.

Savage, after a string of various corporate ownerships, is producing fairly consistently, although they've dropped their more complicated line (lever 99's) and concentrate on more easily produced models.

Mossberg is building their current line of discount store guns in "Mexico North of the River".

Then there is a plethora of producers of "black guns" and related offspring.

I would argue that the Remington-Marlin consolidation concentrates enough of the domestic production that it might run afoul of the anti-trust laws. But I doubt that anyone in the current Justice Department cares.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt think that there would be any anti trust issues. Remingotn and Marlin are varied in there products.... Marlin big in lever guns and no bolt action center fire. H&R basically single shot. Rimfire//// Marlin makes great lower end rifles, and remington makes nicer bolt rimfires. There might be some consolidation in shotgun, but other than that, really two distinct product lines. My hope is that if both these companies were having $$ difficulties (which has been rumored for years) I hope they are now stronger and keep US made guns.

By the way, I think both make fine guns as they stand now.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Cerberus Capital owns Remington, Bushmaster, Cobb manufacturing, DPMS and now Marlin.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be good if it leads to a revival of some of the classic H & R products, including handguns.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
... lever guns and no bolt action center fire.

Marlin now makes a bolt gun, the XL7.

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/content/view/282/1/

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/SearchResults.aspx?SS=XL7

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Oh Well,

Didn't berretta buy every major firearm manufacturer in Europe. I don't like to see it, but there is not much I can do about it. If the venture capitalists don't load the combined firm up with debt and keep some of the variety in tack, I guess it will be for the better. We will have to wait and see.

I sure do love that Marlin Guide Gun.
Dave

"We are all here for a short spell; so get all the good laughs you can.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else."
Will Rogers

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra_Dave:
Dave

How about a Remington Guide Gun?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ummm, look what happened to the advertised Remington .45-70.
sofa

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanx for the news not sure what to think of this one maybe good or bad

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Didn't Remington discontinue that 673, which was a nice short and fast bolt action. 350 caliber wasn't it? I have enough [ unless there is a real deal] bolt-actions and like that lever gun with iron sights.

There is a guy who makes one that is a take-down and I really like that.

Oh well, gun show time of year. I'm heading to Reno Custom Gunsmith show and look at some real craftsman's works.
Happy New Year Gents,
Dave

"We are all here for a short spell; so get all the good laughs you can.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else."
Will Rogers

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can see it now, lever action 45/70 with a vent rib on the barrel in a high gloss, low wood to metal fit laminate stock. Big Grin

Loaded up with the new Rem-Cast, hard cast bullets and a big loop lever it'll be the DGR of the future. troll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting point here; that is Cerberus didn't buy Marlin directly, but had Remington buy them.
I can only speculate why....

Don

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Probably to keep like products in the same family. with Remington as the parent company they can ditch Marlin management and combine a lot of R&D and administrative tasks.

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra_Dave:
Dave

Makes me want to throw up.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, there goes the neighborhood!

I guess Remington will sell all the lever action rifles without sights, the same way they are selling the .375 and .458 Zastava Mausers.

These guys don't have a freakin' clue!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like Hornady has a new friend.
they have been in bed w/ everyone else.
Steyr
Bushmaster
Marlin
Ruger
are they going to come out w/ a new round Just for remington rifles?
a soft tipped 25 caliber for tube fed bolt actions?
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Guide Gun better stay the same. Many a folk on marlinowners.com would be upset.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
are they going to put a J lock on the topper?
handirifle, even

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Interesting point here; that is Cerberus didn't buy Marlin directly, but had Remington buy them.
I can only speculate why....

Don

that way remmington has a merger in their market segment, without duplicate infrastructures to maintain. Since marlin is basically the "other" end of US hunting, the markets shouldn't overlap.. but, hey, a push feed is a push feed, right?

if cerberus had bought marlin, it would be run as an entire vertical firm, rather than a division... lord knows how well "spartan gunworks" went...

guess we'll see a bigbore336 in 35SAUM?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
I saw this too. One of my buddies said: "I guess this means that Marlin and H&R will now both come out with AR-15's too." Big Grin

Bob

popcorn

Rotating Bolt, Mag fed, Plastic furniture, Lever action. Reliable and fast! Just the ticket for our brothers in CA who can't get an AR anymore!

A-XL-R
(let's start a rumor)

Well maybe not...

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take 2 !!!

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I love that picture!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post

Yeah well, I "heart" photoshop!

I am liking the concept tho'. I have a 39A Golden Mountie and I think it'll hold 21 .22 shorts. How about 20-30-40 rounds of 223 in a lever action! yeeeee haaaaw

Collins

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose that anybody else fell into a little day dream about remington bringing back H&R mausers. Probably just me being as the new Zastava's can't hold a candle to the old ones from what I have heard. I kind of pictured remington getting rid of the 799 and 798 series, bringing out an H&R mauser with a little better quality, and a nice featherweight stock and barrel taper.

Now the next part is just complete fantasy where I would like to see them in 9.3x57, 8x57, 7x57, 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 7.5x55, 7x64. Don't ask me why but I would like to see all of these, preferably in my gun safe.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
quote:

Bob

popcorn

Rotating Bolt, Mag fed, Plastic furniture, Lever action. Reliable and fast! Just the ticket for our brothers in CA who can't get an AR anymore!

A-XL-R
(let's start a rumor)

Well maybe not...
FYI we can buy AR's in CA but they have to have fixed magazines or magazines that can't be easily removed that takes a tool to remove them.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scr83jp:
quote:
quote:

Bob

popcorn

A-XL-R
(let's start a rumor)

Well maybe not...
FYI we can buy AR's in CA but they have to have fixed magazines or magazines that can't be easily removed that takes a tool to remove them.

And nothing more than 10 rounds. right?

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably to keep like products in the same family. with Remington as the parent company they can ditch Marlin management and combine a lot of R&D and administrative tasks.

What changes in the marlin lineup in the past 20 years imply more than an afternoon's worth of "R&D" every couple of years?

Granted I like Marlin's lever rifles, but I believe that their level of innovation was minimal at best, let's be serious the marlin
36A was more or less "perfect" in the 1930'swith the exception of not being factory drilled for scope mounts until more recently
(the 1960's) the model 39 at about the same
time.

what I'm not sure about is if the quality will be maintained under the new management.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote