THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best Little cartridge For Elk at BOW range?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Little cartridge For Elk at BOW range?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Years ago I knew a dedicated sheep and elk hunter who started his running program in early spring to be in shape for elk season. He believed in "get close, shoot straight," and his rifle was a custom .250/3000 Savage bolt gun with skeletonized magazine that weighed just over five pounds. He shot Nosler Partitions, if I recall correctly. For light weight, low recoil and with a decent bullet, this one would be tough to beat. I would also consider a 6.5X54 Mannlicher with 156-grain bullet.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to go with those suggesting the 35Rem in a lever gun.

but Frankly under those conditions a 30-30 loaded with partitions would be just as good.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 308 would be my first thought...

However, I just got this sweet little Heym 26 B O/U Double Rifle in 30-30. With Federal 170gr Nosler Partitions it would work just fine, at under 100 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
How about a .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM on the AR platform, provided that is, that semi autos are permitted for hunting where you intend to kill the elk ???

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No. 2: And you're not even going to post a photo of your O/U .30/30? Bad form sir!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
223 with FMJ bullets.

Just shoot them in the neck.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote