THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Drew a oryx nm hunt on stallion base. Any tips?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drew a oryx nm hunt on stallion base. Any tips?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm super lucky and excited to get an oryx draw in white sands. I have been doing a bunch of research and read a great post by compass west so I feel I am getting a better grasp at the type of hunt. My question is, is the base completely fenced off? Am I able to scout the area ahead of time? Also does anyone have any tips on where to hunt on the stallion area to get started. I was unable to find the boundaries of the base that separate the different areas. Any tips would be great. I'm excited for this once in a lifetime tag.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt! You'll love it.

First, you will start receiving information emails from the NMDGF soon that will answer all your questions directly. Wait for that.

To start though, I'll help. I have been on several hunts on Stallion. The hunt boundaries are clearly marked on the map you will receive, so no worries there (assuming you can read a map and clear signs). It's fenced, but that fence is not oryx-proof. They come and go as they want. But the area is huge and there are lots of orxy.

As to where - most of it! They're all over. I'd be happy to share what I know from several recent hunts; just send me a PM and we'll go from there.

You're gonna love it!

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I live on WSMR, hit me up and I'll help you as well.

Every range on WSMR has oryx, stallion is probably the easiest to hunt because of the cross roads and the fact that it is flat and sage brush instead of choked with chapparal like most of the southern 2/3rds of the base is.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Steel! That's a hunt I'd like to draw some day.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am super excited. It should be fun.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I bet that will be a great hunt.

~Ann

Posts: 19240 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is scouting prior to the hunt allowed or no?

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew a tag several years ago. It is a very
fun hunt.

A big congratulations!

Posts: 2647 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Enjoy your hunt! tu2

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
So is scouting prior to the hunt allowed or no?

But I'm guessing that it's not necessary.

I envy you. Oryx are a fun hunt, a beautiful trophy and wonderful table fare. Wow, a freezer full of oryx!
beer

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Steel----I drew that tag a few years back. WSMR is an active military base. There is NO pre-scouting. There were no cameras allowed either when I did the hunt. They actually had MP's look at you truck & do a search. There is a big pre-hunt lecture on the morning of the hunt. At the conclusion of it we walked back to the pickup & watched the start of the Indy 500. It's quite the show watching all the idiots speed out of the parking lot. Enjoy it--there are plenty of oryx on the range---no need to hurry.

Remember---DON'T PICK ANYTHING UP OFF THE GROUND. Lots of unexploded military ordinances. Plus if they see you do it---you'll get kicked off the range & your hunt is over.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Right, no scouting.

Cameras are now allowed, though you can only take pictures of your dead oryx and hunter. No scenery, buildings, action, post-kill, recovery shots. Nothing extra, just a few shots of your trophy. No video. There are lots of restrictions, but those will all be covered in the forthcoming NMDGF information and the site safety briefing before your hunt. Follow the rules and you'll have a great time. Break the rules and they'll kick you off the range and ban you from hunting there for life.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Right, no scouting.

Cameras are now allowed, though you can only take pictures of your dead oryx and hunter. No scenery, buildings, action, post-kill, recovery shots. Nothing extra, just a few shots of your trophy. No video. There are lots of restrictions, but those will all be covered in the forthcoming NMDGF information and the site safety briefing before your hunt. Follow the rules and you'll have a great time. Break the rules and they'll kick you off the range and ban you from hunting there for life.

Here is a recent hunt on Rhodes Canyon (southern part of the range).

Here is a summary of some other oryx hunts, one of which was on Stallion Range.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I second the "wonderful table fare" comment! tu2 YUM! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It sure was delicious when I ate it in Namibia.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the good information. Its very helpful.