Find
Notify
Tools

Three for three on NM oryx
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
My eldest daughter has applied for four New Mexico oryx hunts in her young life. Despite crappy odds, she has drawn three tags - a youth hunt, a hunt outside of the White Sands Missile Range (the core area), and most recently her "once-in-a-lifetime" hunt on the range. On the youth hunt she got a nice 33" cow and last January she killed a big-bodied 33" bull off range. For this year's oryx, she wanted to beat her standard. We hunted hard, made a good attempt with lots of stalks, but in the end, 33 is just her number. She filled her once-in-a-lifetime tag with this pretty 33" bull.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for her that's awesome. What caliber of gun she used?

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Beautiful bull.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Good for her that's awesome. What caliber of gun she used?

For most of her big game hunting, she has used a shortened Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .338 Federal. This year we concluded that, despite my projections that she would remains relatively little like her momma, she had outgrown the stock on that rifle. Since we haven't decided on her "life" rifle (aka the last one I buy her) yet, she used my Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM shooting handloaded 150 grain Barnes TTSX. As usual, it worked with minimal fuss. Interestingly, out of dozens of animals killed with this rifle/load, including two other oryx, this bull was the first critter to stop a Barnes bullet. You can see it just under the hide.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your Daughter, she has a good teacher. Really a nice picture.

Posts: 356 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done young lady!

And thanks for starting another lifetime hunter. tu2

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you all. Those oryx are truly an awesome animal. If you need help eating some of the meat please shoot me a PM.......!!!

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,congrats to the young lady and her teacher.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done!!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great, fine shooting too.
How old is she?

Pretty animals, didn't realize
their size, thought they were
half that size.

She'll make a great hunter one
of these days with a bit more
practice.

thanks for sharing.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I was up on stallion and saw a ton of them by the National Guard Camp last week.

The big bridge on highway 7 before Mockingbird gap has a pair of hornless bulls that live near it.

I haven't seen any on the El Paso Gate road in a few months, but I don't drive that road every day.

I am not sure I would put in for the SMR unless it was my last choice. While there are tons of oryx there, there is so much cover it makes for a harder hunt.

Neighbor went 3 for 3 on oryx this year. They usually end up with at least 2 tags a year.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Good for her. Nice photo! Fun hunting with kids.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the fine young hunter.
May she enjoy many many more hunts with family.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Great job by the little lady DesertRam !
I always love seeing your kids posts of successful hunts you are doing a great job as a dad, keep it up.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your daughter, DesertRam.

I still remember quite fondly the oryx hunt you accompanied me on in Rhodes Canyon. Great time, and a good hunt with a fine rifle and fine company.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Congrats to you all. Those oryx are truly an awesome animal. If you need help eating some of the meat please shoot me a PM.......!!!

Well, if you ever wander through southern NM on I-10, you have but to send a message. I’m sure we can wrangle a beer and a steak.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
That's great, fine shooting too.
How old is she?
George

I won’t say exactly, but she’ll be heading out on her own in the next year or two. I have bribed her to return to hunt with Dad by offering to pay her hunt application fees as long as she’s in college.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Congrats!

I am not sure I would put in for the SMR unless it was my last choice. While there are tons of oryx there, there is so much cover it makes for a harder hunt.

Thanks. I killed my first oryx on the SMR in 2000, and went on several good hunts there with others before they suspended hunting for several years. It’s not a bad place, you just have to look harder. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
Congrats to your daughter, DesertRam.
I still remember quite fondly the oryx hunt you accompanied me on in Rhodes Canyon. Great time, and a good hunt with a fine rifle and fine company.
Bill

Thank you Bill. I too recall that hunt fondly. I shared the story of that hunt with her on this trip, which was on Rhodes as well.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great bull!!!

Need to rethink my application strategy and start putting for one of these hunts again.

Any change you have a picture of the bullet?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Congrats on a great bull!!!

Need to rethink my application strategy and start putting for one of these hunts again.

Any change you have a picture of the bullet?

Thanks. If you need any input on applying, just send me a note and I'll try help out.

I didn't have a picture of the bullet initially, so I took one. It looks like it could be in a Barnes advertisement, like pretty much every one I have recovered.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wonderful harvests, DR. It has been a year and a half since I was in Rhodes Canyon, but I saw a lot of oryx up there. Sure made me want to hunt. I was part of a caravan to visit the gravesite of Eugene Manlove Rhodes up top there.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you guys put in for this year?

I put in for all 4 returning vet hunts, with the SMR as my last choice, and the WSMR population management hunts, since I have base access.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! Very good table fair!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, I didn't apply for oryx this year. Just antlerless elk in Unit 34 again.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Where did you guys put in for this year?

I put in for all 4 returning vet hunts, with the SMR as my last choice, and the WSMR population management hunts, since I have base access.

Pretty much all over: Stallion, Rhodes, Red, off-range. We all like different hunts, so I spread us all around. Maybe one of us will get something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did elk in 16C, 34 and the two rifle 6Bs.

Deer was the areas near Jicarilla.

Ibex rifle billy, muzzleloader billy, and the winter nanny tag.

Javelina was near Demming. We have them on base, but the odds suck.

Sheep in the Gila

Aoudad in 28.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Seth, I didn't apply for oryx this year. Just antlerless elk in Unit 34 again.

C'mon Bill, get after those oryx. They're all but in your back yard. I would be happy to come over and help out. I've got everything we need to have a great hunt - except the tag! So get one!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Congrats to the both of you!

Thanks for sharing the recovered bullet photo as well. One of the first things I noticed when I looked at the photo was the bump and wondered if that was indeed the projectile. More (and more valid) info can be gleaned from things like that than from any advertising hype. What was the range of the shot and your load's approximate muzzle velocity?

Congrats again! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
More (and more valid) info can be gleaned from things like that than from any advertising hype. What was the range of the shot and your load's approximate muzzle velocity?

Thanks Bobby, I agree.

I don't know the exact range; somewhere around 175 yards. Muzzle velocity is 3280.