Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Ray Atkinson
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sir,

In an earlier post you mention a free range bison hunt. Can you provide any details? I've shot bison on ranches for meat and would like to do a free range hunt, but haven't been able to find one. Any assistance or info would be appreciated.

Thanks Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I can tell you of one, but it could take many years to draw. That is in AZ at what they call House Rock Ranch. This is in House Rock Valley between the Kaibab Plateau and the Paria Plateau. The buff are free ranging and the hunt is very difficult. The terrain is juniper and canyons with lots of places for the animals to hide. Very expensive out of state tag. I think Utah has a free range buff hunt also, possibly the Henry mountains.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
This is definatly a fair chase hunt and will tax your ability unless of course you just get lucky and stumble into one as can happen with any game...but not likly.

It is a 3 day 4 night hunt with everything furnished, nice lodge , fantastic food, guides and you will see a lot of deer and elk while hunting Bison..The cost is $2750. YOu get all the meat, hide, and skull. It's a great hunt and one I personally am going to do every year. We hunt Sept to Jan.

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I've heard throught the rumer mill that they are hunting free range bison on the Cow Reservation in MT. Is this the hunt I've heard about or is it somewhere else?

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
No, my hunt is on in the mountainous region of central Nebraska sandhills, a beatifull garden of Eden...The ranch is presently fenced and 8 miles long by 5 miles wide of high rolling hills and thick brushy valleys....

The ranch itself is 100,000 acres but the remainder is being high fenced as we speak, and should be completed in about 18 months then the inner existing fence will come down, then an additional 100,000 acre fencing project will take place hopefully and that inner fence will come down and the ranch will eventually be 200,000 acres under one fence with no cross fencing. At least that is the present goal. It is a magnum project by a man who is the ultimate conservatonist and his goal is to put the elk and bison back where they were in the beginning. He is a believer in fair chase hunts and is also an avid rifle and bow hunter...

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote