THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best area for big moose: Alaska or Yukon ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best area for big moose: Alaska or Yukon ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
the Alaska Yukon is the biggest american moose, but what area is the best for this subspecies ?

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's always been my impression that the most impressive moose in Alaska come from the Aleutian Chain....and some of the best caribou.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can say that the biggest ones I've seen were on the Selawick River. I saw 3 there that were bigger than any others I've seen anywhere in Alaska, and these babies were BIG. I shot one that, if I were to have officially scored, would be #3 in SCI with a pistol, then saw one significantly bigger the next day. They were huge of horn and also huge bodied, even for A/Y moose. If you go to the Yukon, you have to get a guide (unless you're a resident).

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The top ten in the 1999 B&C record book came from AK.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mario,

It would seem after looking at the B&C book as previously mentioned that Alaska does produce the biggest moose. I do know that there seems to be a truly huge moose pop up about anywhere up here on occasion. Just in my backyard(practically)2 bulls over 78" have been legally shot in the last few years.

The outfitters I represent in the Yukon say that their average width is not as wide as found in Alaska but palm width and height may be greater. On the other hand one guy consistently averages width in the high 50's and the other in the low 60's.

I personally would have a hard time telling someone that they stand a much better chance of getting a really big bull in Alaska as opposed to the Yukon.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The two best moose areas in Alaska are the Innoko River & Selawick drainage's. The Selawick is by far my favorite place
A first class flyout drop off hunt will cost $2500-$3500, Guided hunts start at $10,000

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know I've seen some MONSTER bull's come out of the fairbanks denali area

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check your PM's, please. Thanks.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Considering I am a complete novice when it come to Alaska, in what Game Management Units are the Innoko and Selawick Rivers? I'm thinking of a trip in 2006, but none of my group of friends has hunted moose in Alaska before.

Thanks

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the informations. I have another questions: what is the "border" of the Alaska-yukon moos and the Canadian Moose in B.C. ?

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From B & C's standpoint,as well as the BC Trophy Wildlife Records Book standpoint,all moose found in BC are considered to be Canadian Moose.Therefore,the various provincial/territorial borders,and also the international borders are species borders as well.
Dave

Posts: 74 | Location: Nanaimo,BC,Canada | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote