THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    An American made Einstecklauf (Insert Barrel)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An American made Einstecklauf (Insert Barrel)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been talking to a fellow who makes simple inserts for shotgun barrels about making a more sophistocated insert that would be full length in a shotgun barrel. It would be on the lines of the .22LR insert made by CZ and imported here some years ago. I am talking initially about a run in .22 Hornet. Each barrel would have point of impact adjustment screws at the muzzle. Each barrel would be custom cut to the length of the parent shotgun barrel. I'm going to have him make one for a prototype in a 12 gauge barrel and we'll see how it goes. I'd like responses as to interest in buying the barrels at about $250 each. Here is a shot of the CZ .22 barrel. It is about 11.5 inches long. Visualize a concentric design and about 24 inches long but with the same concept.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be in this for two...one 12ga and one 16...

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one HECK of a deal...even if the ESTL isn't adjustable in place. From the name houses in Germany, that would cost $800-1000. These shoulds sell like warm hot cross buns.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd take a couple in 16ga. and any of the following rifle calibers: .30-30, 7x57, 6.5x57

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
357 44 mag would be nice.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are working on a prototype now. It will be a .22 Hornet insert for a 12GA shotgun barrel. We plan on making them 20 inches long, with POI adjustments to be made in place. We have a concept that will maintain zero after removing and replacing the insert. Testing will determine our success. I will post photos.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be in for at least one in Hornet.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would love one in 12g / .22 Hornet if you could export them to Australia

Posts: 46 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be in for at least one, keep me posted!

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact me at allanmckinney@msn.com if you are interested.

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Now this is a thread to follow! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vol717, are you going to "bush" and fit a reduced firing pin diameter for use with the smaller Hornet primer?

A gunsmith I knew in Germany did this when he installed Einsteckäufe in .22 Hornet. He said there was danger of a "Durchbläser" (blow though) of occuring if this wasn't done.

Good luck with your project.

I think $250 would be a VERY low price for a good Einstecklauf.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This project is strictly about inserts. The 12GA prototype is in production now. No gunsmithing work anticipated. The machinist doesn't have an FFL and I'm not going to babysit guns on my FFL. If you need firing pins bushed, see your gunsmith.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
If you need firing pins bushed, see your gunsmith.

I'm not a lawyer..... but you might want to get a lawyer to write up a legal disclaimer (stating what you said above) before you start selling them.

Just friendly advice. So please don't get pissed at me. Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an interesting project Allan. I look forward to seeing the results. The Krieghoff inserts in rimfire are so handy & effective, I'm not sure you can improve them much, (the short 35mm hornet (5.6x35r) insert works well too) but an affordable centerfire insert would definitely have a lot of interest. I've been thinking of doing some full length ones, just to see if I can do it Smiler
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Do the 35CM Hornet inserts have adjustments the same as the .22 inserts? Do they ride the shotgun bore or just protrude into the shotgun bore without touching it as the .22 inserts do?

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contact me at allanmckinney@msn.com if you are interested.

Hi,

I sent an email. No response yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also be interested in the 12 gauge insert.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in an insert in 22 Hornet but I'd really like one in 22 Savage High Power. I tried the e-mail address but it was sent back as not active. So.. please let us know how the project is going.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what's going on with the returned emails. My account is active and I've been getting plenty of emails. Once the prototype is tested, I've got the machinist starting out with 10-20 unit batches. I'll do a first article test before any are offered for sale. If the Hornet proves workable, other calibers may follow. One problem with the .22 HP is that only Lothar Walther makes .226 groove diameter barrel blanks. Also it produces a lot more force on the breech than the Hornet. I think it would only be suitable in modern drillings and guns like the Valmet 412 that are made for the pressures of rifle calibers. My 12GA Merkel drilling has a 22 HP barrel and I like the caliber a lot. It has taken more deer than my larger caliber guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Greg,

Do the 35CM Hornet inserts have adjustments the same as the .22 inserts? Do they ride the shotgun bore or just protrude into the shotgun bore without touching it as the .22 inserts do?

They are just like the rimfire inserts adjust with the sliding tabs in the chamber. Work very well & return to zero just like the rimfire ones. I have a couple in 5.6X35R which I just use hornet dies & brass for & use 222 & 223 bullets.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any more development on this?

Posts: 37 | Location: Sterling, AK | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds great I'd love one in the hornet and later if possible one in 6.5x57R

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Are you doing this with MCA Sports in Alaska ("THE ONLY SOURCE FOR CUSTOM ADAPTERS AND INSERTS IN THE WORLD!") or is this somebody new?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not MCA. They only make non-adjustable inserts to my knowledge. I was using a machinist in Michigan but I haven't heard from him in about two months. My emails aren't being answered. I don't know what's going on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this project dead in the water now? This the 3rd thread I've found on the net in the last few weeks about a project like this starting, that generated a lot of interest, and then...mada. Maybe this is a bigger task than first meets the eye.

Ronn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fellow I had making the inserts absconded with my 22 Hornet finish reamer and a barrel blank I sent him. I haven't heard from him in almost a year. I hope all the wrong things happen to him. On the flip side, I am buying two lathes and a milling machine and will try to make some myself.