New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Slug Accuracy??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering either a drilling or an over/under shotgun/rifle. Most of my use will be hunting deer in a shotgun slug only state and the rifle for varmints. What experience have you had with shotgun slug accuracy in a drilling or O/U? I am considering a 16 g or 12 g.
Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with original Brenneke slugs in drillings out of the Right barrel with the slightly more open choke.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Zoli 12ga/7x57R combination gun with screw in chokes. I bought 6 different "flavors" of shotgun slugs to see what worked. One box of Federal and 5 different Brenneke.

The Federals are a Foster style and do about 4 inch or less group at 50yds with Mod. choke, pretty much where the scope points (sighted in for the 7x57R). However; with a IC choke they print all over hell and creation but mostly 6 to 8 inches high and 6 inches left, can't be sure of even hitting the target at 100yds!

The Brenneke's are much, much better. The Classic was actually the worst, 6 inches at 100 yds and a bit high and right. The Brenneke Black Magic slugs were very nice, 2.5 inches center to center for 5 shots at 100yds, and dead on for the point of aim of the 7x57R! The K.O. slugs were the next best, dead on for point of aim and under 4 inches. I shot all the Brenneke's out of a IC choke.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until recently I owned a Brno O/U 7x65R/12gauge combo gun that would print Federal Truball slugs into a 5-inch group @ 100 yards. Challenger slugs would be only slightly worse (~6 inches). The Challengers would pretty much shoot to point of aim with the scope that was zeroed 2 inches high @ 100 for the rifle barrel. The Truballs were about 2 inches to the right of point of aim. This barrel had a 2 3/4-inch chamber and was chambered somewhere between improved cylinder and modified. I tried a number of other Foster slugs with very poor results.

You might want to check into the Verney-Carron O/U rifled-barrel doubles. I have no experience with them but they look interesting. If I were expecting to remain in my current (shotgun-only) area I would be all over one of these.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure you can use a combination gun/drilling in those shotgun only states. Was talking to my wife's cousin who is a wildlife officer in Indiana about drillings & he says you can't use one there, even if you have no rifle ammo with you.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checked with the Ohio Division of Wildlife via e-mail yesterday. The answer is yes you can use a drilling or O/U as long as no rifle ammo is carried while hunting deer during the shotgun season. Shotgun slugs only.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get around 3 MOA with Brennekes out of my Blaser 95 and 97 BBF's.

Best of luck with yours.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote