Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing Used Guns - Advice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
Have any of you had dealings with "Jmar@drillinghotline.com"?

Being in the market for a Combo Rifle or Cape Gun and preferring to communicate via email, dropped him a line requesting info regarding a Combo Rifle they have for sale. For whatever reason, it has been a week with no response.
Is this typical of his business?

Is there another company you might care to recommend that would provide better service/communication via email?
Your advice is most appreciated.
Best Wishes

Posts: 48 | Location: Sawmill Creek, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw him at the Eastern Sports Show on 2/10 (a 9 day show that ends 2/11), I expect you will here from him when he returns to the shop

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I sold two drillings through them. Very professional, I received a more than fair price and would purchase from them (if I had the $$!!) anytime.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. Was hoping some such thing might be the case.
Am looking forward to hearing from them. Will try one more time just in case our email got lost in the shuffle.
Best Wishes

Posts: 48 | Location: Sawmill Creek, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Just wanted to let everyone know that we heard from Jmar today. He answered all of our questions and was most helpful. Unfortunately for us, the firearm in question would not be the best choice for the game we hunt.
We will keep looking for that perfect Cape Gun (1st choice) or Combo of our dreams.
Best Wishes

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
WindWalker,
I do not know if Bob Jones european long guns would have what you want but he usually has a good supply of drillings, cape and combination guns and is a straight up - word is good fellow.

http://www.bobjonesguns.com/inventory.asp#DRILLINGS

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Johnson,
Interesting selection. Will most certainly continue to monitor his website, in our quest.
Thank you.
Best Wishes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What combination of rifle/shotgun are you looking for?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Kebco,
Am primarily interested in a Cape Gun of 16 gauge and 8x57R as minimum rifle caliber (would prefer heavier). Will consider a Combo Gun but not one with the large "space" between barrels.
Would also prefer firearm with manual (exposed) hammers.
A sound "work horse" is our goal.
Best Wishes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the Winchester 101 Grand European combination guns? A friend of mine had them in 12/7x57R, 12/9.3x74R, and a 9.3x74R o/u double rifle. They looked, pointed, and shot pretty good.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. 260remguy,
Have heard of them but the name alone, makes me suspect they are far above what we are prepared to spend at this time.
Really would prefer a side hammer Cape Gun but willing to consider a Combo if the price is right.
Your advice is most appreciated.
Best Wishes

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WindWalker:
Mr. Kebco,
Am primarily interested in a Cape Gun of 16 gauge and 8x57R as minimum rifle caliber (would prefer heavier). Will consider a Combo Gun but not one with the large "space" between barrels.
Would also prefer firearm with manual (exposed) hammers.
A sound "work horse" is our goal.
Best Wishes

Windwalker, if you're looking for a bargain, you better stay away from cape guns! I collect cape guns, and double rifles, and I have several cape guns, one exactly as what you describe, a 16Ga on the left barrel, and an 8X57JR on the right barrel. It is a sidelock exposed hammer gun. It will place a 196 gr RNSP bullet on the sights at 100 yds, and a Brenneke slug right beside the rifle bullet also at 100 yds every time. With shot in the shot barrel, it will pattern 90% at 35 yds, and is a real killer on dove. Thse cape guns are harder to build than double rifles, and cost considerbly more than the verious stack barrels combo guns. Most stack barreld combos can be had for from about $500 for the Savage combos to around $2500 for some of the better ones, but a cape gun worth owning will set you back $3K to $6K depending on the maker, and quality of fit & finish, and chamberings!

Actually the Savage combos may be right down you alley! They are ugly, but work well, and you don't have to worry about them in the Alaska weather, if they get a little rust on them! I had one I converted to a double rifle combo, for a canoe gun a few years ago. It was origenally a 30-30 on the top barrel, and a 20 ga shot barrel on the bottom. I cut the shot barrel off just forward off the hinge pin, and bore out, and threaded in a 45-70 barrel, then regulated them to both hit together at 100 yds. In fact that rifle is in Alaska someplace, because the guy I sold it to, lived in Palmer, and he sold it to someone up there before he died 5 yrs ago! That little rifle accounted for several moose, caribou, and black bear up there! UGLY AS A FENCE POST, but was sweet in the willows! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. MacD37,
Sounds like the Cape Gun you have would be just the ticket for our style of hunting and pretty much what we are looking for. Hopefully one of these days we too will find one. The $3K is feasible but higher will have to wait until we dispose of some of our more utilitarian toys currently on hand; but no longer use.
While we certainly appreciate the fancier grade of firearm, it is not paramount in our decision to purchase and we would be perfectly happy with a more plain-jane model.

We have a Savage 24 in 12ga/.30-30 Ackley Improved. It has served us well on Moose, Caribou and Black Bear. We do consider it a tad lite for Grizz. Yes, we know, proper shot placement goes a long ways in doing things right but nevertheless would prefer the rifle barrel to be of a heavier caliber for general, all around use.

Thank you for sharing your insight.
We will keep looking.
Best Wishes