New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57Rimmed Bullets ang 16ga. shells
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the 7x57 Rimmed what weight bullets and muzzle velocity would a fixed sighted drillings be regulated to.
The gun has 24" barrels and the 16ga. chambers are 2 1/2"(65mm) and choked .635. Where can I get ammo.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/194?

www.classicshooting.com/16-gau...otgun-ammunition.htm

www.eleyhawkltd.com/gamecarts-vipgame16.html

There you go. Try a mid weight bullet first. If it shoots low, go heavier. If it shoots high, go lighter. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have a look at the RWS website as chances are RWS ammo was used to regulate. Probably regulated for one of the more traditional round nosed type bullets. But only real way of telling is togive it a try.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have good luck with New Era Shotgun shells in 2 1/2" 16 gauge.
http://neweraammunition.com/in...hp?page=low-pressure

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog...

Nice site and I like the fact they do custom loads.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The 2.5" Holland & Holland 16ga ammo is premium game ammo, i.e. 'Royal' Game. It is loaded with fiber wads and is offered in USA shot sizes 6, 7-1/2, and 8-1/2.

You can buy it online at classicshooting.com

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the rate of twist it's 1-9 1/2" to 1-10".

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just notified that New Era is going out of business.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coyote wacker:
In the 7x57 Rimmed what weight bullets and muzzle velocity would a fixed sighted drillings be regulated to.
The gun has 24" barrels and the 16ga. chambers are 2 1/2"(65mm) and choked .635. Where can I get ammo.

Standard is for the 156 grains RN loads.

/Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard is for the 156 grains RN loads.

/Chris[/QUOTE]

I thought with 1-9 1/2 1-10 twist it wouldn't shoot 175 gr. round nose

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No that is true,

not 170+ grain loads.

Most german/European drillings were regulated with Hubertus Brenneke rounds for the right shot barrel and with 156 grains RN loads for 7x57R and 196 grains in 8x57R/JSR,

they were almost always full/full or full and 3/4 in the shot barrels.

as stated above RWS ammo or if really old DMW ammo.

/Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went for a ride yesterday to visit a old gunsmith friend.
Brought the new drilling for him to check it out. He's not afraid to hurt your feelings and tells you like it is. He said I did OK on it.
But the 16 ga. chambers had been lengthened to 2 3/4", that's OK buy me.
One thing he did tell me is I could take 444 Marlin brass and make 8x57 JR/JRS or 7x57R. Last night I took 444 Marlin case started with a 375 JDJ die to 8x57 to 7x57. I will anneal the necks and trim to length.
He also showed me something else a thin split ring that is put on the extractor grove on a rimless case to convert to a rimmed case. He said that they used these before 444 Marlin brass was readily available or if you didn't reload you could use American factory ammo. I asked if he wanted to sell some, his answer was "if I sell them where in the hell do you think I'am going to get more". I told him when I go to your funeral I'll take them out of your coffin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your reloading.

My 7x57R runs on cases provided by a couple European friends (Cheers Chris & Gerry Wink ) and is really one of my favourites for shooting out to >200m.

Iron sights offer 3" grouping at 100M and are my choice for daytime hunts - the scope only really goes on when I sit in a stand or start losing the light.

I reload the 16bore with spreader wads rather than opening up the choking - they really work well, and have stopped me 'smashing' birds. Now, the Drilling is my favourite shotgun for WoodCock and other fast reaction shooting.

Enjoy! Smiler

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to get over here to hunt some Wild Chuckar.

Nice mixed bag and a beautiful drilling. Cool