Notify
Tools

show of your drilling/combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
DUK,

What is the animal on the bottom, it kind of looks like a aoudad lamb?

What do you think of the BBF 97? I am considering getting one, now that I found I can get a better deal on one than I had originally thought. I almost bought a 770 16/9.3 for 3500 but I found a way to buy a BBF 97 new for the same price.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Chris and D99,

yes, this is a Spanish ibex my son killed this Easter, it was a two year old male culled on a "selective hunt" in the Teruel province.

I never shot a B97 but was told that the triggers are somewhat harder than the B95. Also, IMHO you loose some of the excellent safety these rifles provide. The B95 is always uncocked, when you are ready, you cock and shoot, the rifle afterwards is uncocked again.

With the B97 after you shoot the 2nd barrel is still cocked and might go off if you forget to release the cocking lever.

A B97 might make sense when you buy a set of double rifle barrels, like 8x57 IRS or even 9.3x74 for driven hunts. Besides that application, I don't really see an advantage, I have Hornet insert barrels in the two sets of combination barrels I own, to cock again for a 2nd shot is quite fastm, silent and easy.

In general terms, these rifles shoot very well, are well designed and manufactured, the safest hunting rifle you can own and last but not least, their triggers are a dream.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
/Users/richardtenenbown/Desktop/IMG_0067.JPG/Users/richardtenenbown/Desktop/IMG_0072.JPG

Two pics from a hunt last January in South Texas.
JP Sauer 16X16X8/57JR

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my junky old BBF97 6.5X55/20gage.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
January of this year in Pearsall, Texas.
8X57JR/16 JP SAUER
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Ph...ge=&navfolderid=2009

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same Hunt same day.

Mark Twain

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Some purty nice looking drillings guys, but gotta put up a Bockdrilling, Blaser BD880. Kinda specialized and was replaced by the D99, but it's still doing the job. It must be recocked for each shot, not an issue when sitting. Front trigger always rifle, selector between large or small caliber, rear trigger always shotgun. There are better rifles for drive hunts anyway. When I'm going out to sit, this one gets the call, automatically. Waidmannsheil, Dom.

20 ga over 30-06 with a hornet on the side:

Can still pull some doubles off even after reloading and recocking Wink

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I received my Blaser BBF 97 "Tracker" 12 ga over 308 today, and it exceeds my wildest expectations. I bought it based on the advice of Ron Williams as I have several other guns and gun related items, and I have to admit that he has never steered me wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff Optima DBD in Africa. 8x75RS / 8x75RS 20/76
Bullet used Norma Oryx 196 grain in 812 m/s.
( Loaded with 67 grain N 160 )
The last pic an Oryx bullet. Quartering away shot on a Kudu cow 120 meters . The bullet was found just under the skin in the left shoulder.

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30R:
Krieghoff Optima DBD in Africa. 8x75RS / 8x75RS 20/76
Bullet used Norma Oryx 196 grain in 812 m/s.
( Loaded with 67 grain N 160 )
The last pic an Oryx bullet. Quartering away shot on a Kudu cow 120 meters . The bullet was found just under the skin in the left shoulder.

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
here are a few of my new ones

D99 duo

9.3x9.3x20ga

By coachsells, shot with DSC-S980 at 2009-11-03

My BBF 97 12ga/22 hornet

Dom really like that bock drilling.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here a photo of the 8x75RS between the 30R Blaser and the 9,3 x74R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here a pic of my Schienen drilling in 20/76 -20/76 22 WRM. Not the most common combination gun. A drilling for bird hunting only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i got sauer 3000 drilling ,16 gauge and rifle barell is 303 british, can anyone tell me when are those drillings made, what year?

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lickilovac
Dissasemble the drilling (remove forestock and separate barrels from stock) and check the stamps under the barrels.

Serial numbers and the other markings are needed information to be able to estimate the age.

If You gather that information I am convinced that some of the members here can give You the manufacture year or find it for You.

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of BigBearHunter
posted Hide Post
when I was in Germany in the mid 80's we had a gun shop in town (Wurzburg) that I always loved to go into. The drillings and doubles they had in there were unreal, and at that time the exchange rate was good so the prices weren't horrible. Man I kick myself for not buying one.

www.gametraks.com
The Game Has Changed

Posts: 12 | Location: Longmont Colorado | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by BigBearHunter

quote:
when I was in Germany in the mid 80's we had a gun shop in town (Wurzburg) that I always loved to go into. The drillings and doubles they had in there were unreal, and at that time the exchange rate was good so the prices weren't horrible. Man I kick myself for not buying one.

Tell if I'm wrong but is'nt the Wurzburg store the main headquarters for Frankonia.

I can't think of a better place in the world to shop for Drillings that are already built and on diplay ready to walk out the door.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Here's my Krieghoff Plus 20/76-6,5x57R..

Three shots was needed to take down this honker.. Not impressive.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sauer 16X16X 8X57JR.
Last Fall in South Texas

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same trip as previous photo.
[/URL]

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
same trip as Previous Photo,
I've just now figured out how to post.

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here a photo of the 8x75RS between the 30R Blaser and the 9,3 x74R.

How much of a pain in the arse is that shortnecked and well tapered case to load for?

No problems converting the 9.3x74R to 8x75RS with standard reloading dies?

Posts: 46 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the 30R Blaser would make a good case to neck up to 338. in a break barrel or falling block gun Cool
Was the 3rd shot on that goose from the rifle barrel Smiler
Had to use my 9.3 barrel last year to anchor a turkey that was still running after 2 16 ga shots didn't bring it down.. Very effective.. Smiler
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brayhaven:
I always thought the 30R Blaser would make a good case to neck up to 338. in a break barrel or falling block gun Cool

Would it have anything over the 8.5x63R Reb that Blaser and a few others are now chambering?

Posts: 46 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had to use my 9.3 barrel last year to anchor a turkey that was still running after 2 16 ga shots didn't bring it down.. Very effective.. Smiler
Greg

I hope to h@ll you had solids for the follow ups... Eeker

Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
quote:
Greg

I hope to h@ll you had solids for the follow ups... Eeker

Big Grin

No, it was a 180 grain bullet that I swage up from 358 Speers. But only going @ 2000fps at the muzzle. Just a about a 2" hole in his neck & wishbone area.

I was pig hunting too. I do have a squib load for that caliber using a 9mm makarov bullet. I usually wouldn't shoot a turkey with a rifle, but this gobbler was hit pretty well & would have been coyote bait if I'd missed with the 9.3.

Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BrayHaven,
Once again, my ears perked up. I picked up a bunch of Makarov bullets. I've been trying to guess where to start. You are working with a x72 if I recall. Any thoughts for a starting point for a x74? I was thinking of maybe 10 or 12 grains of Unique and some poly filling.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
here are a few of my new ones

D99 duo

9.3x9.3x20ga

Nice. Every time I look at it I want one in 7x57R/7x57R/20G.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
BrayHaven,
Once again, my ears perked up. I picked up a bunch of Makarov bullets. I've been trying to guess where to start. You are working with a x72 if I recall. Any thoughts for a starting point for a x74? I was thinking of maybe 10 or 12 grains of Unique and some poly filling.
Thanks

Bfly

That would probably work, but I don't think I'd mess with filler unless you want to. In a big case like that, the powder might get mixed into the filler, whether it was a solid like fibers or a loose one like cream of wheat etc. That might give eratic ignition. I'd just try it as a squib like that. It wouldn't hurt to try it both ways though. Might even try magnum & std primers.. Try to seat the little bullet out a ways. Let us know how it works. These loads are great for small game & for practice offhand that's quiet & cheap to shoot but still doing everything you would, (trigger, safety, selector, sights etc) while shooting the rifle barrel.
Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll put some together next week. Might be a while before I can shoot them. I'm too short to shoot over the snow drifts.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's nice Sambar, but I just can't get excited about new style drillings, electronic & holgraphic, sights & such. It's a character thing I guess....
Hell, I even like old women Cool

Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Savage-Valmet .308Win under a 2 3/4 12ga

It loves Winchester 2 3/4 "0" buckshot.

These are just two of the deer I have killed over the years with it (From the late 70's I think)

I could take that gun and hunt the NF in Texas during the week and kill what ever was moving. Ducks, squirrels or deer etc.

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF you hunt in an area where fur and feathered, and other samll game, are in season at the same time... And ever use a combo gun...

It will be hard to EVER go afield, without a combo gun... IMHO of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog:
Sauer 16X16X 8X57JR.
Last Fall in South Texas

Lawdog, good taste. Here's your brother, my Sauer & Sohn 16x16x 8x57JR with a 22 Mag Insert (Einstecklauf) in the right shotgun barrel, topped with a Schmidt & Bender 6x42 in Claw Mounts (Einhackmontage), Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
Appears to be newer than mine.

Mark Twain

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog:
Very nice.
Appears to be newer than mine.

Not sure, I believe mine was made somewhere between 1910 & 1940, I had a very good gunsmith clean it up, reblue it, rechecker it, and mount the modern day scope. Still got the original Geco 4x scope, elevation only turret, windage was done on the mount. Price was right, $600- was what it cost me in original condition, plus another $400- to the smith and then scope was another $400.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great price on the gun smithing .
Where is he located?

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamourkiller:
A Savage-Valmet .308Win under a 2 3/4 12ga

It loves Winchester 2 3/4 "0" buckshot.

These are just two of the deer I have killed over the years with it (From the late 70's I think)

I could take that gun and hunt the NF in Texas during the week and kill what ever was moving. Ducks, squirrels or deer etc.

Valmet system gun in Tanzania and Zim in 12/9,3X74r...took an impala, this Kudu, and some great eating camp meat...francolin...

I enjoyed your GREAT Photos of what a tack-driving Valmet system combo can do! Cool

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote