Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X82R info needed
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Nimrod drilling in 16X16 over 9.3X82R. Is there a source for loaded ammo for this? The only brass I have been able to find is Bertram. The batch I bought was junk as they all split down the side on the first loading. I have loaded 9.3X72 R with Swiss black powder behind a cast lead bullet which I purchases from Huntington’s. This seems to work OK, kind of like loading a 38 special in a 357 mag chamber.

A local dealer told me he used to bring 9.3X82R in from Europe but he no longer does as it takes too long to sell. He thought the minimum order was 1000 rounds.

Posts: 25 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shame you didn't check this all out before you bought it. you are probably not missing much with the old black powder loadings anyway - they all seemed to be about the same . none were anything to write home about.

maybe if there is enought meat in the barrel you can ream it out to something more powerful.

another possibility is to sleeve the chamber and rechamber it to a shorter length that you can get ammo or brass for more easily.

nobody wants to buy a gun you can't get ammo for

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accuratereloading.com The Accurate Reloading Forums THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS Rifles

Tomo:
Thanks for the reply. I bought the drilling only because I have always wanted one and the price was right. The gun shop had it miss-marked as a 9.3X62 which I doubted at the time. If I need something more powerful I will just grab my CZ 30-06/12 ga combo. I have no desire to modify this old gun. I like a challenge. I have several single shot rifles I shoot with only black powder so will be working with BP in this one too. I am considering having Rocky Mtn. Cartridge make me some brass of the proper length for it. The nimrod should be just the ticket for chasing Black-tails in Northern Calif. during grouse season.

Posts: 25 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. mjs3240,
If you would not mind and have the time, would be interested in hearing what weight bullet you use, velocity achieved and group size you obtain with your 9.3x82R.
We shoot a lot of blackpowder but have not used said round and might like to give it a try on our Caribou.
Best Wishes

Posts: 48 | Location: Sawmill Creek, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Windwalker:
I have been using a 200 grain cast lead bullet I have purchased from Huntingtons in Oroville, CA. I ordered a bullet mould from NEI last week which I will use in the future. I have just started loading for the 9.3 so do not have too much data. My problem is the lack of suitable brass for the 82R. I purchased 100 rounds of Norma 9.3X72R brass from Huntingtons and have been using that.

I can’t locate my load book at the moment but AIIR I was able to load 90 grains of Swiss 3FG in the X82R case which is 3.25†long. My last time out I used the Norma brass with a duplex load with 5 grains of RL7 over the primer and the case filled up with Swiss 3FG. The results were encouraging but as I say I do not have the data if front of me. I will keep you posted on my trials. If I remember correctly I was getting around 1700 FPS.

Where abouts is Sawmill Creek? When I lived in Alaska I was either too poor to be able to get to where the hunting was good or too busy working during hunting season to go.
MJS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. mjs3240,
We live Southeast of Fairbanks which is a five hour trip for us.
The hunting situation has not changed. For the very best hunting, one requires the use of a boat or airplane. Not having those options, we make do the best we can. No complaints.
Best Wishes

Posts: 48 | Location: Sawmill Creek, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
mjs3240
It's to bad that old western scrounger has left your naborhood of nother cal. I think they are now in Virginia. their always a good source for hard to find brass.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Windwalker
I found my chronograph data from my last range trip. I used Norma 9.3X72 R brass. The load was 6 g of RL7 with 65 G of Swiss 3fg on top of it with the 200G RCBS cast lead bullet .365 diameter. I used WW WLR primers. The velocity for 4 shots were; 1807, 1751, 1813 & 1780 FPS. I was not trying for accuracy at that time. I just loaded up 20 rounds with the same brass using 5 g of RL7 and 65 G of Swiss 1 ½ and WLR primers and the same RCBS bullet. I compressed the charge .23†prior to seating the bullet. I will try these the next time I go to the range.

By the way, the reason for the kicker charge of RL 7 is to burn out the Black Powder fouling. Since this is a hunting load I do not want to have to deal with BP fouling while hunting with the old Drilling.

Now this load was safe in my Drilling but remember I have a 9.3X82R chamber so thus I have at least 10mm of freebore. I am not guaranteeing that this duplex load will be safe in any other rifle out there.

Akshooter
Actually the old western scrounger moved to West Virginia. I have two boxes of .32 RF long enroute from them at the moment. Back in 1975 I purchased an old Meffert Cape Gun from Great Northern Guns in Anchorage. I took it to the Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito CA and Dangerous Dave Cumberland told that what I had was a 8X57R360 and sold me all of the ammo he had in stock, all 8 rounds of it. I wish I had not traded it off years ago.
MJS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. mjs3240,
Thank you for sharing your data. We have a fair amount of experience using duplex charges and appreciate your application. Works for us as well.
Do you happen to know if the rifling twist rate in your barrel is suitable for 250 to 300gr bullets. They would be fairly long, no doubt.
Best Wishes