Find
Notify
Tools

Rear Aperture. Valmet 412/512?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I have been sending messages to NECG with no response. Probably caused by overzealous computer security. I am wondering if anyone knows of a clamp on aperture sight like the NECG model. I have a Weaver style and Apel QD swing out style apertures from NECG. Weaver goes on the 99 Savage for wet weather and the QD goes on my Sako L579 FS for the same reason. I just prefer aperture sights for my older eyes. The rear open sight on the 412 9.3 barrels is just OK for my eyes. I still like apertures or optics. At 55 plus I have to work accordingly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Wink Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is everyone turkey hunting? sofa Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy,

You would have to have one made, and you would also have to raise the front sight, as the 412 rear folding sight is very low when standing, and the front is correspondingly low.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rear is fixed. It is a new barrel set fitted to my 412S. It is a recent production Lothar Walther barrel set. I am willing to place a new sight blade in if neccesary. Maybe I can get used to the current sights with enough shooting. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a NECG rear peep to fit warne base for my Tikka 512s 9.3 barrels. It clamps on the rail perfectly, but will require some building up of the "bump" on the underside to properly index it in the scope mount "divot". Also I expect to have to have a taller front sight custom built to correct the elevation.

My gunsmith just got the barrels in hand Saturday PM, to begin the work. I'll try to remember to repost when project is complete and report on any issue/problems, and cost.

DRSS

Posts: 122 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please do, as I am quite interested. Thanks. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went fine.....had to have a lower front bead slipped into the dovetail than the one they originally installed in the new ramp.

Ended up using a Ashley Outdoors rear peep (used to be XS) instead of the NECG Warne style I originally thought.

I've got it sighted in with the big aperture peep, but I believe I'm going to try the smaller one just to see how it "fits" my eyes.

All in all much superior to the minuscule dainty original sights.

I'll take some pics and post them next set of days off I get. Also will post exact model of Ashley sights used.

Just a simple cross slot milled thru the rib back by the scope mount "divot" indexes it great.

I plan to keep the entire peep assembly in a 35 mm film canister in my vest for swapping out .....if needed with the scope.

DRSS

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures to illustrate......pardon the quality of the photos. Trial and error on actual height of front blade .... got it right on the second attempt. May put a larger white bead or a fiber optic in its place.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0143.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0144.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0145.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0146.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0151.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0152.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0159.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/JAW223/100_0160.jpg

Overall much more satisfied with this set-up than the original sights. Cost was $160 including the price of the sights.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammerem... What alteration, if any, was done to the rear aperture to fit it on the barrel? That was a good series of pictures. Maybe you could set the camera on macro and get better focus. I have to change my settings to get it focused on the close ups. Thanks for the info. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer...

You just cost me money. nilly I guess I'll get over it when the job is done. Wink

By the way, I have the same Tikka 512S receiver, but with double triggers. I bought the gun, a 12/9,3X74R from Cape Outfitters, in 2000 for a whopping $649.00. Its been on three safaris so far.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No alteration to the peep sight assembly was necessary. It clamps on like it was designed for the rib! Just needs a cross slot milled thru the rib for it to index on.

Yes.....my camera skills need improvement....I just recently moved into the digital age (camera wise). I do see a macro setting now...

I think the NECG version might be better due to the fact .....I think......they have a larger knurled knob for the on/off screw...instead of needing a screwdriver like on the XS version. I believe they cost about the same.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammerem I hate to have a slot milled into the rib. But there has to be a method to index the sight in place. I'm hoping to find a way to compromise and not do any machining. Perhaps I can find a more affordable rear scope base, used. Then I would feel like making alterations on it. I just don't want to spend $200 for experimentation. Shoot that baby some more and get back with us on how it works. Here's to success! Wink Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I hated to mill in a slot too..........but figured that it is now MY working gun.......so.....

I also wish to find an affordable additional source for scope mounts, I would like at least 2 more myself.

I installed the smaller diameter peep and it seems to "fit" me better and allow more precision, my "peep group" size went back down to the size I was getting with original iron sights.

My gun will print both bullets touching with the scope @ 40 yards....from the bench......so I know its more capable than I......... especially offhand with any type of open sights.

I have always been a scope shooter....and will be using a scope as primary on this rifle, but wanted a more robust back-up sighting system than the original irons.

Hopefully, I will take a Cape Buff, and a tuskless cow with it here in a couple months.

I will also have my 416 rem with me for an alternate choice, this is my first trip, I may, after getting close to buff and ele.......decide that 9.3 X 74 is not enough ummmppphhh for me.

Hammer'em

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer'em, I wasn't clear on the camera technique. It was not criticism. Just a suggestion. Thanks for the heads up on your sight system. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries.......Packy.....Its all good!

Besides........there is no way around it......... the pics were fuzzy!

Russ Gould at doublegunhq.com has a lot of stuff for the Valmet/Tikka/Finnclassic guns, if anyone needs anything.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my gun from Russ. He is a straight shooter. I couldn't find any peep sights for the Valmet system on his site. I still need a scope base or two. Used. Packy