New
Find
Notify
Tools

Franz Sodia Ferlach
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if anybody could tell me the value of my drilling is a franz sodia ferlach 20gax20gax222rem nice engraving. it was bought in the early 60's. Ferlach will not make a gun for less then $25000 today so I'm sure that must hold some merit

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Condition, features, etc..

Hallowell has had a few of them for sale for years at $8K - $13K (used to be about $15K if I remember, 4 or 5 years ago before he moved to Montana) and no one's bitten yet. http://www.hallowellco.com/combinat.htm

Being a 20 ga. adds some value to some people. I'd look on the web and see what they're selling for (not listed for). Puglisi seems to list them a bit high but actually moves them.

I dunno...maybe $4,000 or so. Let the accusations fly!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Info It doesn't really matter it not for sale I was just wondering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just FYI. Ferlach is the town where Franz Sodia has his workshop. Therefoer it is nor quite correct to say that "Ferlach" will not make a Drilling for under 25k.
But anyway, the value of your gun may vary somewhere in between 5 and 20k very much depending on condition, wood, engraving, scope and mount, which is most probably a German claw mount. You said, thet where not selling it. But if you were, the claw mount is always a problem, if the buyer wants to fit another scope. There are hardly any gunmakers left who are able to make claws which will fit an already existing base. It's all manual work and it has to be 100% precise. Removing the claw mount and fitting other bases, however, envolves soldering on of a new rail, new blueing and what not.
So don't sell it and use it as it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. there is no mounts it has a lever like a safety on top pushed ahead flips up a sight in the middle of the barrels and sets the trigger for the rifle. And it is a set trigger that is very!!! light but what is neat is you can just grab the trigger and pull it back and it wont go off and it is back to a regular trigger pull its kinda unreal. OK as far as Ferlach it is owned by 14 master gunsmiths as a co-op it is the second oldest gunmaker in the world still in business there min gun price today is $25000 avg gun is between 50-75000 they bring in $10,000,000 per yr with the town only having 7000 people. check Ferlach guns in a search thats where i got my info

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Germany you can actually find Ferlach-made guns at quite a reasonable price. I've seen drillings with scopes by Franz Sodia for sale at 2000-3000 € in gunshops. I've got a combo gun by Sodia with an extra shotgun barrel set and a .22 Hornet insert barrel with Zeiss scope on claw mounts and it cost me about 3000 €. The wood and engravings are of "better" quality, although it is not any showpiece.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
When I was in Ferlach in 96 I priced some top of the line guns there at around $13,000. At that time I was shoping for a singleshot stalking rifle(kipplaufbuchse). On my last trip there in 2000 I was suprised to see the prices had gotten a little soft. The last time I priced anything from ferlach was at the S.C.I. show in 03. At that time ferlach was repersented by waffen Fanzoi and peter Hoffer. Fanzoi's prices for various break open guns ran from about $13,000 to $20,000. Hoffers guns have allways carried that mystical appeal of any artist who arbatral arbatrally prices his work for whatever the market will bear. I think his guns start at aroun $50,000.

Anyway I'm a little out of the loop On the value of used Ferlacher's I would like to think that my Franz Sodia double rifle is worth over $10,000 as some here have mentioned it might be as comparing it to their estamates on the drilling. I hope they both are but that is mute because neather a for sale. Well actully maybe if it's worth over $10,000

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote