New
Find
Notify
Tools

High point of impact.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've recently been reloading for the rifle barrel on my drilling. POI is high. The sights are fixed, so my question is do I need to increase or decrease the velocity? The distance I was shooting is about 1/2 of the max range I would shooot at. It is still higher than I would like to see it hitting. What say you great guru's??

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the load your shooting, then you need to get a new rear sight blade made that will sight in for that load...

Most times, it takes more than a small velocity change to make a big POI change.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a similar situation that is on the to-do list.
Let's say I am not wedded to my current handload, which is about 4" high at 50 yards.
9.3x72R, 25 grains of 4198 and large rifle primer, and a cast bullet of ___ grains (I don't feel like going out in the rain to the garage to look it up)
My thinking is I need to increase velocity via more powder, hotter primer, or both. Is that correct? Less barrel time through more velocity lowers impact, doesn't it?
Thanks,
Lou

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More powder = more recoil, and that will "probably" make it shoot higher.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Lots of ways to skin this cat.
Like DM said new sight blade, or just file down the existing one.
Change to a lighter weight bullet, Higher front sight.
Just work with your loads and then file when you determine you need too. If you have a new sight blade made you will want it a little high anyway because you will want to be able to file it down to POI. So you are already there anyway.

I think the way I would approch this is start by add or reduce powder to your curent load, If that dos'nt work next go for lighter bullet then start fileing last of all.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions guys. I am going to work with the loads and see where I get to and call it good. I don't want to alter the piece at all as it is pretty old and I want to keep it original. I am hoping more velocity will help. It's not a big kicker anyway.......6.5 x 52r.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since most drillings have a rear sight that raises when the rifle is selected, the rear sight height is fixed to fit a given recess size. If changing the load doesn't work, fit a taller front sight to lower POI. Most drillings have a front sight that slides in from the front. The sights made by Recknagel will work but the sight will probably need to be filed down to fit the dovetail. Merkel USA sells them for about $40.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with my 7x65r. Spoke to the original maker in Ferlach. Most are sighted for heavy for calibre bullets going quite slowly and for slugs and for close range driven you take a six o clock hold on a boar and the bullet will go into the middle of the boiler room. Have tried the latter snap shooting at an old lap top ( best way I vmcan think of destroying the hard drive!) and certainly made sense - place laptop on bead and squeeze. If I want precision thats what the scope is for.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
Since most drillings have a rear sight that raises when the rifle is selected, the rear sight height is fixed to fit a given recess size. If changing the load doesn't work, fit a taller front sight to lower POI. Most drillings have a front sight that slides in from the front. The sights made by Recknagel will work but the sight will probably need to be filed down to fit the dovetail. Merkel USA sells them for about $40.

That's the way to go, Vol. Not hard to fit and file to POI. And he can keep the orig if anyone wants to put it back someday Red Face). I wouldn't mess with the rear sight other than to shift the notch a little to match the new front. Open sights on these guns can be very accurate. My hammer drilling in 9.3x72 shoots 1.5" (100) with my swaged jacketed 180 gr bullets. Some of my others can do even better if you take your time. I actually like the sighted drillings better than the scoped ones, but I shoot opens a lot in matches & practice, even though the eyes are pretty old Cool

Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote