New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka/Valmet QD mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Tikka 512SD. I was shooting my 7mm R barrel when the mount (and scope) came off! When I remounted it, the POI was way off! Is there some technique to mounting these? I thought that they should return to the same POI when remounted.
Thanks, Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting them a LOT on 9,3X74R and 30-06 barrel sets for many years, and I have never had or seen one come off. It must not have been seated in properly when tightened and fell off as it loosened from shooting. These are pretty solid mounts.

Mine repeat quite well. If yours has slots on the knob, use a quarter or 1/2 dollar to tighten them. I have started to tighten the knob a few times to find that the rear recoil lug wasn't completely seated, and the catch on the mount was simply pressing into the edge of the top of the dovetail, not seating into the dovetail. That may be what happened to yours.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will remove and remounts them. I have one for each of the barrel sets. I tend to keep one mounted all the time, but the other I remove and remount. I wish my case would allow for two barrel sets WITH scopes mounted!
BTW I see that you are selling yours!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have yet to lose a mount off my 9.3 set. I have not shot it enough to be as familiar as I want to though. My mount was NIB and has a hex bolt in the center of the outer bolt to tighten it to the dovetail. I find the inner bolt to need tightening after mounting. Good luck. It is a good gun system. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I sold my last DR and BBF set just the other day with regret. Things I am not using much or may have little need of are being sold. I just yesterday shipped my beloved Daly Prussian sidelock/sidecock drilling in 16/30-30 to a guy who will put in his collection, and that double hurts, as it won't be hunted as it should be. Frowner

A nice 700 Classic (original, not the new variety) in 35 Whelen also went, but to a hunter in TX; he's using it on an African PG hunt next year.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote