New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Drilling for Hard and Plenty Use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When I Retire I am going to buy a Drilling as my Retirement present to my self.
This gun will get a lot of use. I have looked at and studied several different guns.
My wife has a Sauer 12x12x30/06, so I have used one a little bit [when I can sneak it away or trick her out of it] and find them to be truely handy for a lot of the hunting we do.

The current front runner is the Krieghoff Quadro in 12x12x9,3x74R. I think the "regular" drilling is the best choice for all round use, being a perfectly good double bbl shotgun, and a perfectly good single shot rifle. However when hunting in AK, Idaho, and Montana a Double Rifle Drilling is better [two rifle bbls and one shotgun bbl].
The nice thing about the Quadro is that you can get an insert bbl for the 9,3x74R [and other calibres] transforming it into a DRD. I would have scope in Claw mounts fitted.

What do ya'll think. Does anyone have any experience with the Quadro?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day N E 450 No2, I can't say I have shot one, but I have seen several, all finely engineered, beautifully made. Looks to be ready for the long haul. But very expensive. You could always buy one of the BBL inserts for the Sauer, which can be had a bit less expensively, something I would do if I could ever find a way to latch onto the one in the shop down the road.
The only catch with the inserts is regulating them to shoot along with the other BBLs, which can be a bit tricky.
Best of luck, I envy you your choice. Lets us all know how you get on?

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar 9.3
Thanks for your reply.
You are correct, they are expensive. You could nearly buy 2 other drillings for what a properly set up quadro would cost. however when flying a quadro with its insert bbl only counts as one rifle. Upon arrival you could configure it how it best suits the hunt.
Plus a properly set up drilling is a GREAT hunting gun. [I should have NEVER told my wife "I bought this Drilling for you" Mad]
When seasons overlap a Drilling is pure Nirvana.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I think you need something like this:

Double rifle drilling -- 9.3x74R(2) over 16 gauge.

Personally, I think a double rifle drilling 9.3x74R twice over 12 gauge underneath would be even better.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't tell her that, did you? Dufus! Still, I made the same mistake aith my ex, I had just gotten a nice little 20g miroku, which was supposed to be my new quail gun, but when she tried it, she liked it so much, I said she could have it. Big mistake. Never got to use it again! Haven't been able to find another that fit quite so well, either!
Going through the same thing with the Blaser 95BBF, the wife loves it, but there is NO WAY she is going to get me to say she can have it. Use it, yes. Have it, No!
Looks like I have to order another one. Or hopefully find a second hand one.
The Kreighoff is a fine gun, but here in OZ, if I ordered a Quadro, I would not have any change from $18,000 AUD. That's why I envy you your choice, short of winning the Lotto, there's no way I will ever get one.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here's a 9.3x74R double over 12 gauge:

I could do without the horn trigger guards on these.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles, nice gun.
However, I have given it great thought. If I could have only one I like the traditional drilling best for all round use. [2 shotfun bbls one rifle bbl].
That is why I am considering the Quadro, it can go "both ways".

<JOHAN>
posted
N E 450 No2
Retirement bewildered

Heym makes very nice drillings and offers a range of solutions.

Option would be to have a drilling with two sets of barrels.

What calibers do you have in mind?

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I guess it is just my double rifle fascination carrying over but I like the double-rifle drilling better, as least in my mind. Perhaps it is also because I do not do much hunting with a shotgun. I did like a three-trigger drilling Hallowell's had in 9.3x70 with two 12-gauge paradox barrels. They have sold it recently.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan
Yes retirement, 30 years at this is long enough.
I would like a 12x12x9,3x74R.
Heyms are nice, but I thought the Thermo-Stabil feature of the Quadro might actually shoot better.

Charles
If I could only have one bbl set up it would be with 2 shotgun bbls, as I want it for my primary shotgun, used for all except goose hunting. But when hunting in AK or the mountains of the Northwest a double rifle drilling is best, which is why I am thinking about the Quadro as you can get an insert bbl in 9,3x74R, thus giving me the best of both worlds in the most compact package possible.

<JOHAN>
posted
N E 450 No2
If the drilling is regulated properly it shall be hardly any difference. I'm quite conservative and dislikes plastics Roll Eyes

A Drilling in 12ga and 9,3X74R should very suitable for Africa....don't get excited and keep it for your self Big Grin

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a number of drillings in 12-12x9.3x74R for sale here in Canada and in the U.S.A. I have a Merkel in this combo and think it the best drilling setup ever made for general work. The drilling in 9.3x9.3 with a 12 bore under barrel is neat, but, too heavy when scoped as mine weighs about 8.5 lbs. all up and that is max. for a gun to be packed for days on mountain hunts.

For hard use, I would find a Heym, Kreighoff, Merkel or Sauer made after WWII and treat it well; these are complex guns and not meant for the harsh use that a Mauser 98 will take in stride. Yet, I use mine in B.C. conditions without problem, it just takes some commonsense.

I actually kind of prefer the BBF type and have my eye on a Merkel 211 in 12-7x65R although owning three combo guns is sort of nuts.............and I am!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

NE 450 #2,

Wow! What a great idea as a retirement present! My retirement present to myself was a Blaser K95 Stuzen in 7x57R. Do it - you earned it!

A couple of ideas on the Drillings. The newer more modern ones are making adjustable barrels so the regulating is alot easier, especially if you are using more than one rifle caliber. This can be overcome though with insert barrels and also offer some flexibility for additional cartidge choices.

Kreighof is the only company I know that currently offers a drilling with an extra set of shotgun barrels as a standard production item. I'm sure Merkel would be happy to oblige but as a non-standard item could get pricey.

My favorite Drilling I ever had in my hands (and like an idiot didn't purchase it) was a Merkel Drilling in 20x20 over 9.3x74R. With a insert barrel of 5.6x50R it would be a real all-rounder.

Most everyone goes for the standard 12 gauge Drillings but orginally Drillings were made more often in 16 gauge due to a trimmer action. The 20 gauge Drillings are even more sleek and compact and make IMHO a better handling Drilling.

Food for thought....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the replies. I have handled 16 and 20 ga drillings and do agree they are svelte, however my wifes Sauer really handles great. I prefer to stay with a 12 ga so we can use the same shells.
Since I will be using this gun quite a lot I am thinking a drilling with "new technology" ie free floating rifle bbl will be better for me. I also would rather have a 9,3x74R insert bbl than another bbl set simply because of size and weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles Helm:
I notice that your DBB 9.3 has a "lifter mechanism" encorporated in the stock structure for scope use. I have a similar system built into my Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5 stutzen. Pressing a button on the side of the stock instantly elevates the comb; pressing the comb downward, re-locks it in place, confluent with the rest of the stock. I had never seen this in any other gun but yours. I wonder whether it was offered as an option when my MS carbine was built. Certainly, the stock appears "factory" otherwise. Any thoughts/history on this mechanism???
Thanks.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
Charles Helm:
I notice that your DBB 9.3 has a "lifter mechanism" encorporated in the stock structure for scope use. I have a similar system built into my Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5 stutzen. Pressing a button on the side of the stock instantly elevates the comb; pressing the comb downward, re-locks it in place, confluent with the rest of the stock. I had never seen this in any other gun but yours. I wonder whether it was offered as an option when my MS carbine was built. Certainly, the stock appears "factory" otherwise. Any thoughts/history on this mechanism???
Thanks.
Alex

I only wish those were mine. Big Grin They, and quite a few othere, are for sale at Puglisi Gun Emporium. They might be able to tell you more about the comb-raising mechanism. It is cetainly an interesting accomodation for the scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2, if that's what you are after, then the Krieghoff is the neatest one I have seen. I have also heard, that once the insert is correctly aligned, it can be removed and replaced without loss of zero.
Don't know if it's true, but it sure sounds good!
Perhaps you could also order it with an additional 30-06 insert, to give even more of a choice?

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar 9.3
Thanks for the info. I had heard that it retains its zero too.
Yes I have thought of getting another calibre insert bbl, a 308 would be my choice as I shoot a lot of 308 now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed the 308 is a great round. I only suggested the 30-06, as your wifes Drilling is a 30-06, and if you are both away hunting, cartridge commonality is no bad thing.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar
Yes, a 30/06 like her gun sounds like a good idea. But 20 rounds of 30/06 would last her a long time, she only shoots at game she wants to mount, I am the meat hunter of the family, and I like to shoot a lot. I have quite a bit of 308 ammo.
I have even thought about fitting a Navy Sleeve to her 30/06

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the first main decision when you inted buying a drilling are

- 2 or 3 locks
- free floated barrels or soltered
- other sets of barrels
- types of triggers
- up to which caliber insert barrels ar possible
many drillings doesnt offer the 9,3x94R

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have never really looked at buying a drilling, but I think the perfect southern drilling would be a 20ga SXS with a 7X57R underneath. A wonderful whitetail/quail/squirrel/rabbit collector!!!!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25years agoe, the drilling was the standard weapon of a german hunter. But the time is going on and the drilling is out of the mode. You can buy a good used drilling from Sauer or from the former GDR-factories for around 1500 Euro with a good scope. The hunting situations have changed in the last years, the small game which was shot with shot gun, doesn´t play the part as in the old time, but the population of the big game - first and foremost of the wildboars - is growing up and so the drillings are not the guns of the first choice. But if you really like a drilling, take one , but with a rimned case! (for example 7x57R, 7x65R, .30R, 8x57IRS, 9,3x74R).

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
Thanks again for the replies. You Europeans are well ahead of most all Yanks on the use of a drilling. Here in Texas where seasons overlap, and in places like Idaho, Montana, and Alaska where big game and grouse can be shot I have found a drilling the be a very handy tool.
My first choice would be a 12x12x9,3x74R. Mainly because I have A 9,3 double and have seen that the 9,3x74R is one of the best hunting calibres on the planet.
However my wifes Sauer 12x12x30-06 has never haad any problems With extraction.
The 12x12x30-06 is probly the best choice for the American Hunter. But I just love the 9,3x74R

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer Drilling in 12/12/30-06. It is a pretty neat gun. Mine was a anniversary present from my German wife. It is set up for a left-handed shooter and has a 1.5x6x42 Zeiss. I was thinking about selling it but that might not be a great idea.t The neatest driling I have ever seen was in a German gun shop in Giessen. It was 20/20/ 270 Win and it had 3" chambers. It felt like it weigh 6 to 6.5 pound without a scope.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
army aviator
Of ALL the drillings I have handled my wifes Sauer, just like yours [except right handed] has been the sweetest of all.
I shoot it better on flying doves, quail and ducks than my Browning Citori.
This drilling I want will be my allround, general purpose shotgun, untill I install the 9,3x74R insert bbl. Then It will be my allround black bear in the states, spare rifle for Alaska, and the second gun I take to Argentina.
This drilling will get a LOT of use.
It will be a WORK HORSE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a bit puzzled .... does some firm actually make a 9.3x74R insert barrel? What gauge shotguns will it go into? 12, 16, 20? And if you have a double 12 guage over 9.3, can you get two inserts and have a triple barrel 9.3x74R?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther USED to make them, I haven't seen or heard of any for many years. Perhaps some else may know a source?
In theory, yes, you could have a 3 BBl 9.3. Blaser now offer their D99 in a 'trio' configuration, but I don't think you would be able to get 3x 9.3's. According to the catalogue, the best you get is 2x 9.3x74R and another cal up to 6.5x65R RWS.
I expect you could always get a custom one made, for $$$$!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff makes insert barrels in several calibres up to 9,3x74R.
These are for the Quadro Drilling only. It has a stronger reciever. It also comes in a double rifle drilling configuration.
Rather than a 2 bl set I would prefer the insert as it is a smaller package to travel with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day, I see that I am just going to have to get a Drilling, after all. Managed to get away on the weekend to a club hunt. I got the same few odd looks as I assembled the 95BBF and then wandered off down down the hill to my assigned spot. Those funny looks were replaced by "where can I get one!" as I wandered back up the hill with the Fallow Doe, and the 2 Hares I managed to get. But with a Drilling, It might have been 4 Hares!
These guns are so versatile, I sometimes wonder how I got along without one for all those years!
That Sauer in the shop down the road is looking more and more like moving into my gunsafe!
Seriously, the Quadro looks to be a great gun, but the price here in OZ is breathtaking.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

at the moment there are a lot of used drillings for sale in Germany. My gunsmith Jürgen

http://www.lippe-waffen.de

has always some on stock. Tell him what you need an he can make you an offer. Only double rifledrillings are hard to find. Most drillings habe 7x57R, 7x64R, 30-06 or 9,3x74R under 16 or 12 gauge.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In talking with Krieghoff it my take too long and be too expensive to do the Quadro.
I might just take a look at the standard Krieghoff drilling with the TS [free floating rifle bbl] feature. Still in 12x12x9,3x74R [ or with a 308 bbl instead of the 9,3]. I will be talking to them at the DSC.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with a Sauer!!

When it comes to drillings, my preference would be for two rifles over one shotgun........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should get a vierling that is 12 ga. x 12 ga. over 9.3 x 74R x 9.3 x 74R.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The current front runner is the Krieghoff Quadro in 12x12x9,3x74R. I think the "regular" drilling is the best choice for all round use, being a perfectly good double bbl shotgun, and a perfectly good single shot rifle. However when hunting in AK, Idaho, and Montana a Double Rifle Drilling is better [two rifle bbls and one shotgun bbl].
The nice thing about the Quadro is that you can get an insert bbl for the 9,3x74R [and other calibres] transforming it into a DRD. I would have scope in Claw mounts fitted.

What do ya'll think. Does anyone have any experience with the Quadro?

NE, I just came across this thread - although it has not seen any action for a few days. I can certainly understand several of our learned posters who opine for Heym and Merkel drillings. In particular, Heym drillings are about top of the line when it comes to elegance and build quality - all you need is a side-lock model ($$$ Wink) as Gerry said in 20 ga, pretty nifty.

That said, I can fully appreciate your idea of the Krieghoff. Although not nearly as elegant as a Heym, the Krieghoffs have very strong practical points these days. The "thermo stabile" feature, just makes it SO much easier to sight in your gun. No need to wait 10-15 minutes between each shot, and as Gerry pointed out, these modern drillings are a lot easier to regulate. On top of that, as a Blaser man, you will REALLY APPRECIATE the manual cocking feature on some of the Krieghoffs. It is just an outstanding feature to be able to carry your weapon, fully loaded in complete safety! The Krieghoff triggers are also very good, although they still rely on a set trigger for the rifle barrel. Not quite as good as the Blasers, but still way better than what was traditionally found on combination guns.

I saw your mention of the use of a double (or even triple - with an insert) rifle barrel. Very versatile, if your quarry is primarily for rifle, but also VERY heavy. Just be aware of that! With the "Thermo stabile" rifle barrels, the individual rifle barrels have to be a lot beefier, than what would be the case, if they could gain stiffness from being soldered together with the other barrels. So, adding yet another rifle barrel to the barrel set really gets the weight up. On the other hand, the fact the barrels are not soldered, is a definite advantage - just be aware of the consequences if you add an extra rifle barrel. Possible, but rather heavy.

Finally, I'll allow myself to completely disagree with you on the use of a claw mount for a gun like this. There would be absolutely no reason to go with this very expensive and touchy system for a modern drilling. If you want the gun to be able to stand up to hard use - and as Kutenay correctly points out, bolt actions are a lot more rugged than combination guns - stay away from a claw. Not only are they expensive, they also force the use of problematic objective rings and position your scope unnecessarily high - even for European tastes... Add to that, that claw mounts are (in-)famous for being touchy, and this would not be the mount to choose for a modern, working gun.

What you want, is first a scope with an internal rail. These days you can choose from either Zeiss, Swaro or S&B's European models. Then you want a pivot mount - much akin to the old Blaser "BSM" (bridge pivot mount) - inlet into the rib of your Drilling. This will allow you to remove the scope, and use the rib for shotgun use. These mounts are much cheaper (note: cheaper, not cheap) than claws, and a lot less problematic too. And with the scope rail, you completely avoid the pesky scope rings, and gain added leeway in mounting too.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Thanks for the info, especially about the mounts.
As I understand it now Krieghoff recomends their pivot mount over claw mounts, so that is what I will probably go with.
I have claw mounts on a 308 rifle and my wifes drilling. I just like how fast and quiet and with minimal movement you can attach/remove the scope.
As for a scope I am leaning toward the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle. I have one on my 9,3x74R Chapuis double and like it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mike
Thanks for the info, especially about the mounts.
As I understand it now Krieghoff recomends their pivot mount over claw mounts, so that is what I will probably go with.
I have claw mounts on a 308 rifle and my wifes drilling. I just like how fast and quiet and with minimal movement you can attach/remove the scope.
As for a scope I am leaning toward the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle. I have one on my 9,3x74R Chapuis double and like it.

You seem headed in the right direction. The pivot mount will be as easily removed and replaced as a claw - at least in practical terms. Not enough difference to worry about. As these are European mounts, there will be no screws to loosen or retighten, it will all be doable with your fingers in a matter of seconds.

The Swaro scope sounds great. I will push you to invest the integral rail options for the Swaros, though. These may not be as easily obtained in the US as ring mounted models, and consequently, they might be sold at a premium. But you owe it to yourself, at least to have explored the new Swaro rail system, and then decide for yourself. IMHO, you would not regret getting one of those, even if you cry when initially paying...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a BBF (16/9.3x72) with claw bases. But, the dimensions of the "female" apertures for the upper claw mounts were odd-sized, and thus it was going to be a ridiculous search for properly-fitting claw assemblies. So I removed the bases from the rib (just tapped them out of the dovetails to the right), and machined (filed down) Weaver bases to fit the (now-empty) dovetails in the rib. The, I just put the scope in Weaver quick-detach. rings, and mounted the scope on the rifle. It works beautifully, at a cost of less than 5.00.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho
I agree on rail mounted scopes. If I was King of the World ALL sacopes would have a rail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sending you a picture of my Krighoff optima. One barrel set in 8x75RS/ 8x75RS and 20 the other on 470NE /470NE -20

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote