New
Find
Notify
Tools

First hunt, New Drilling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got to the deer lease Friday afternoon.
I fired a few different 30-06 loads at 25 and 60 yards.
The 170 Federal low recoil and some old 220gr Winchester Silvertips shot closest to the sights. Even at 60 yards shooting sitting off my knees two shots would nearly touch.
I fired a few slugs from the left bbl. They hit 3 inches high at 25 yards and 8 to 10 inches high at 60 yards.
Buckshot from the right and left bbl patterned good at 25 yards.

So,I was ready for the hunt. That evening I took my new Drilling for a walk down "Pig Alley"
I was hunting for turkey, wild pig, or even a coyote. I had a Federal 170 gr Low Recoil load in the rifle bbl, a Brenneke slug in the left and a #6 high brass shot in the right.

I very quitely walk own the hunting road in Pig Alley [so called because I have had great success stalking pigs there].
Sure enough I see some pigs. They are down near the river, I am above them.
I stalk up to about 20 yards, pick our a 60 to 75 pounder and aim for the shoulder and let loose the 170 grainer. At the shot he runs, but acts like he is hit. Another bigger pit is right below me and takes off to my right. I had not seen him before the shot. I could have sent a slug via a Texas heart shot, but hate to ruin that much meat, so I let him go.
I go down the "cliff" to the same level as the pig I shot and walk to the left the same way he ran. I see a pig, I think it is the one I shot, stasnding on a pile of drift wood left the last time the river was high, out of its normal banks.

Because of the low trees I kneel and fire another 170 gr round into him.
He goes down, and starts kicking. As he is right near the rivers edge I run up and grab a rear leg and keep him from falling over the cliff 10 feet into the river.

It is the same pig, the first shot taking him low in the shoulder breaking a leg bone and knicking the bottom of the heart.
Shot no2 was a raking shot into the lungs.

The 170 gr LR load expanded nicely doing good damage but not blood shoting a large area like higher velocity loads do.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The next evening I go and hunt in my makeshift blind at my deer feeder. Good chance for a turkey of pig here. As I walk in there are turkeys under the feeder. I stalk in close but there are no big gobblers, so I go to my blind.
I am 38 yards from the feeder.
I have the drilling loaded with a 170 LR, a #6 in the left full choke bbl and a #4 in the right half choke bbl.

I began reading NDLOVU, The Art of Hunting the African Elephant, by Richard Harland.

Looking up I see a hen and a tom turkey.
I pick up the drilling but I cannot get what I think is a good shot on the tom. After a few minutes they walk off. I wait a minute of two, get out of the blind to see if I can sneek up on him. I cannot find him so I go back to the blind and began reading again. In a few minytes a bunch of hens come in, hang around a while and leave.

Then about 620pm in come some nice gobblers with a couple of jakes and a hen or two.
I again pick up the drilling.

After a while two of the big gobblers have their heads together and are seperated from the others.
I aim and pull the rear trigger, the left full choke bbl with the number 6 shot. Instead of a boom, I get a KABOOM. I immediately realize both shotgun bbls have gone off at the same time. Not a boom-boom, but at the exact same time. When i recover from the recoil I see 3 turkeys on the ground.
I have killed two of the best toms I have ever taken. One is huge, and has a 9" beard, the second is not as quite as big but has a 10 1/4 inch beard. Both have spurs over 1 1/8 inches long. The third bird is a smaller male "jake" with a 2 inch beard.
Luckly I have 4 turkey tags.

Later testing confirme that every time I shoot rthe left bbl first the right shotgun bbl fires at the same time. However when the 30-06 bbl is selected the left bbl does not cause the rifle bbl to fire.

I recover my turkeys and go back to reading in the blind.

At about 720pm 8 pigs come in. I have reloaded the drilling with a slug in the left bbl and buckshot in the right.

I pick out a 125 lb of so pig that is facing me with his head down eating. I aim, fire and hit him just behind his head, breaking his spine.
He is down at the shot.

The bullet broke the spine, damaged the lungs, tore a 3 inch gash in the liver and entered the intestines. I looked hard but could not fint it.

I am impressed with the Federal 170 gr Low recoil load. Further testing is in order, but I may use it in Africa in Oct of the smaller cats.

So, not a bad first hunt for my drilling, 2 wild pigs and 3 turkeys.

A trip to JJ perodeau is in order, first to fix the doubling, and to install a scope in claw mounts.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice outing -- makes me wish I had a close spot to slip out and hunt pigs.

Good luck getting the kinks ironed out of the drilling -- I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Hope you get the doubling fixed quickly! (maybe that's why it was for sale?) I hope it all works out for you.
Well done on the hogs, too, and congrats on your best Turkeys!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Great hunt and good work with the new gun. Need any help zapping pigs on your lease? Maybe you should host a DRSS meeting.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry
I cannot take that many people there at one time. Plus pigs are on again off again. You just never know when uyou will see them.
Also my lease is far from town and there is no place to stay.

Sambar 9.3 you might be right as it looks like the drilling was never hunted or even shot more that a couple of times.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perry
I cannot take that many people there at one time. Plus pigs are on again off again. You just never know when uyou will see them.
Also my lease is far from town and there is no place to stay.

Let's be honest, Tony; you don't want DRSS hunting there because I'll show up and shoot your trees... Wink

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
577Nitro Express
That thought did cross my mind. The second biggest cause of De-Forestation, besides the elephant is a Yankee with a 500 Nitro. Big Grin